Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Looking for advice  (Read 956 times)

• Liked: 0
Looking for advice
« on: March 06, 2006, 09:37:33 AM »
So we just hit the 6-month mark, and are ready to book the tickets for our cat's trip to London.  The cat is in Kansas City, so there's no approved route from there, and I anticipate having to connect in Chicago or Houston or somewhere.
1) Does anyone have advice on getting to domestic flights to cities with approved DEFRA routes? I'd like to avoid driving, but mainly because I'd like to pick up the cat over a weekend.
2) What type of tickets are needed? Do I book a return from the UK - Chicago? Are there strange things that the airline will need to know? I'm seeing these $2K numbers, and quite honestly - getting a little spooked.
3) Is the best way to go about this just calling the airlines and explain the situation? Is there any specific group/department that I need to talk with? Cargo? Reservations?

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks in Advance!

Re: Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 10:31:35 AM »
My cat was sent cargo to a connecting flight on an approved route.  It was just included in the total flight plans.  she came separate from us.  I think.. (confirm with DEFRA, please) that as long as the animal comes through the approved route, then they don't care where it originated.   

Now the cost, could be a whole other issue..
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 10:34:35 AM »
the cost is based on the crate dimensions, weight and weight of the pet.  A cat shouldnt be as much as my 70 pound dog.  Check the Defra site and you should get all the info you need.  They are also great about returning email.    Good luck!! :)

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 02:20:35 PM »
Jeez, this is looking expensive.  I just called BA World Cargo & they quoted me ~$1025 from Chicago.  On top of that, I'll have to figure out how to get my cat to Chicago from Kansas City or St. Louis & whatever that will cost.

Past threads are showing people that managed to do this at much better prices.  Am I right in my understanding that the pet has got to go as cargo and not checked baggage accompanying a human ticket?

Seems like the Defra stuff was a piece of cake compared to booking the ticket.

Sponsored Links