Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Identity documents required to open a personal bank account  (Read 70386 times)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Identity documents required to open a personal bank account
« on: March 09, 2006, 06:55:16 PM »
Below is an online list of identity documents required to open a bank account.  Some banks differ in their requirements, so it may be worthwhile investigating your chosen bank before going to the branch.

Additionally, the British Bankers' Association has published a document for new arrivals wishing to open an account.  It can be found at: http://www.bba.org.uk/content/1/c4/39/71/Openingbankaccountleaflet2004.pdf

There is an important paragraph at the end of the document that says:

If you have followed the advice in this leaflet and
you are still finding it difficult to open an account
with a bank in the UK, you may find it useful to
talk to the Branch Manager of the bank you have
visited.

This is quite important because, as a few bankers have said, some of these people opening accounts don't always fully understand the documents required for opening accounts.  If in doubt, always ask for someone more senior.

From the Financial Services Authority:
http://server-uk.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/b?cg=Pdfs&ci=fsa&tu=http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/pdfs/proving_your_identity.pdf

Note on utility bills:
Some banks do not consider cable bills as a utility bill and many will not accept a mobile bill either.

(last edit: 21/11/09, updated dead links, added Lloyds)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:33:30 AM by Mrs C »
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

Re: Identity documents required to open a personal account
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 07:27:19 PM »
thank you for the info!  Ill be trying for a bank account soon :)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 07:36:48 PM »
I'll keep adding banks as I find their details online.  If others find lists of identity documents, please feel free to add them.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 08:24:46 PM »
Well done, Cait!

• Liked: 0
Re: Identity documents required to open a personal bank account
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 06:51:15 AM »
Thank you Cait, you have no idea just how much this helps!

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 05:40:29 PM »
Let's keep this topic for the actual requirements.   Please use the discussion thread for any personal experiences and opinions.  Thanks.  That'll make it easier to find the relevant information for your bank.

Discussion thread is here: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=22519.msg273702#msg273702
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 05:43:18 PM by Mindy »

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 05:40:28 PM »
Great info thanx!! :) I´ll have to deal with this matter soon

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 12:36:19 PM »
Hi all,

I have heard that opening a bank account in UK for foreigner is extremely difficult, due to the catch-22 situation as follow:

1) Bank
Requires proof of residence, but I will not have that since I just arrived in UK

2) Housing
Requires credit information or bank statements, but I will not have that since the bank will not open the account without proof of residence or the account is too new and no statement is out yet.

Is this true?

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 01:10:20 PM »
Ianwarrior, here's a link to one of the many threads that discusses bank accounts. Just use the search and find more if this one doesn't answer your questions.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=22528.0
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 12:23:23 AM »
Just a quick update to everyone: I use 1st Contact to open a bank account and within 48 hours, I have a Current account opened with Barclays. So I'd recommend 1st Contact and they are legit.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 06:45:04 AM »
Just a quick update to everyone: I use 1st Contact to open a bank account and within 48 hours, I have a Current account opened with Barclays. So I'd recommend 1st Contact and they are legit.

They are legit but they also charge a fee, going into a branch gets the same account for no charge

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 07:12:35 AM »
They do charge GBP 35, but that includes the 2 hours presentation where they give introduction about a lot of things, including tax, how to get NI, what's NHS, etc. It's pretty useful for someone that never lived in UK before.

They also give a free Vodafone Pay-as-you-Go SIM pack and an international calling card.

It's not bad, but for me it helped me tremendously to open a bank account, even when I do not have a permanent address and job yet. Going to the branch is the same thing, but isn't this the problem people been having?

Note that I don't work for 1st contact here. ;)

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 08:59:07 PM »
I just opened an account with HSBC.  I couldn't find their requirements online, but this is my experience:

1.  Passport
2.  Work permit
3.  Address verification:  I had my introduction letter from British gas, but that was not accepted.  I got a letter from my company that verified my address and employment.  Even that was difficult because they did not "know" my company.  I finally got it through. 

Note:  If your tenancy agreement is with a private party, it may not be accepted.  Mine was with a private party but through a large estate company.  The bank did not allow it. 

As a data point to others, when I opened my account I was offered both a £1000+ overdraft credit line a £1000+ credit card.  The account person said that people have declined the offer when they set their account up, and come back later and weren't able to get the offers.

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 12:05:40 PM »
If one bank doesn't work, try another. One does not need any work permit, residence permit or any other kind of permit to open a bank account. What the bank needs is sufficient proof for the "Know your customer" and the money laundering rules, as well as some proof of address. The latter is virtually any bill except a mobile phone bill.

HSBC is actually easier than many other institutions. A reference from a foreign branch will do, and HSBC is worldwide. Building societies, including Nationwide (which is almost a bank) tend to be relatively easy. It's been a few years but I recall they gave me some trouble over my national ID card (equivalent to a passport for entry to the UK), probably because they see them so rarely. I know that my son and his wife (who had just arrived from abroad) opened an account with Abbey (now Santander) with just passports and perhaps a council tax bill in my (not his) name.

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 12:49:30 PM »
Don't know if it has been mentioned before, but thought I add some advise here.

I recommend bringing in your marriage certificate if your maiden name is on your passport.  I had my married name on my mail that comes to my UK address but that wasn't enough.  And I had to make a second trip to the bank. Also having my husband as a cosigner/joint on the account meant the bank account was processed and set up right away.

Just thought I would share my experience with setting up an account.
 :)

Sponsored Links