Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Snow  (Read 2478 times)

• Liked: 0
Snow
« on: December 09, 2003, 03:59:30 PM »
We just had about 6-8 inches of snow here in PA and I was wondering - what are are your winters like in the UK? I know we have members all over the UK - so I would be interested to see how the winter weather varies in different parts. Was it what you expected? How much did you have to adjust?

Re: Snow
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 04:08:18 PM »
OOooo now this I can get into John.  I live in Boston where we just had the same storm you did.  BUT we got about 24 inches.  And I just heard we could get more on MONDAY! So when I move to Wales in April I won't have to shovel at all.  They hardly get snow at all.  Oh JOY JOY JOY.  No snow to speak of.  Course I hate all the rain too but that's another story.  Chris tells me they don't even shovel when they get snow!  I think I am marrying into a dream.  ahhhhhhh.  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 04:28:40 PM »
I've been here 12 years, and seen snow about 5 times.  I live in the South West, and it tends to stay fairly mild during the winter - temperatures rarely get below freezing during the day, although I have been scraping ice off my car windows the past few mornings.

They do get more snow up North and in Scotland, but you won't get as much anywhere here as you will in PA.  When it does snow, it is pretty special and people go a bit crazy.

If you love cold, crisp, sunny winter days (which I do) you won't get very many here - winter seems to be primarily wet and dark - but when the days are nice it really is beautiful.

Summers are nice - it rarely gets too hot (although we did have some hot weather this past summer).  If you like extremes of temperature, you have to make sure you vacation away from the UK! :)
Suzanne

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 06:54:11 PM »
Afraid BristolBabe hit the nail on the head.

I've been here five years and have lived in County Durham (northeast), London and Hertfordshire.  The most snow I've seen has been in the northeast and that was only a few inches.  However, last year in Hertfordshire we did have maybe two inches.

Snow is pretty rare in these parts and sometimes I do yearn for a good six inches (to which my husband replies, "Doesn't every woman"  ;) )
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 08:28:15 PM »
I live in Cambridgeshire, in an are called the Fens - it's flat farmland that used to be under water and was irrigated many moons ago into the flat farmland it is today. Perhaps thats why I've seen more snow than some other people. Last year it only lasted about 2 days, but was a really proper snowfall. The year before that it was the same thing, but it snowed in the am and was gone by night. :(

When I lived in Alabama, the whole place came to a screetching hault when it would snow even a little bit (Itsbcoz can attest to this, as it was in Huntsville) - since there was a mountain there & no snow equipment the roads becamse really dangerous even with a teeny bit of snow or ice. It feels like the same thing in England. Last year during the *cough* "storm" in January, we had a friend who got stuck on the M11 for TWENTY hours!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 08:28:59 PM »
(to which my husband replies, "Doesn't every woman"  )

[smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 09:29:20 PM »
Don't live there, but have visited England the past 3 years for Christmas.  I stay with my boyfriend in Shropshire, which is the west-midlands, bordering Wales.  Each year it's snowed there at least 2 days or so.  The first Christmas I spent there was VERY chilly, quite a bit below average temperatures.  Then the other 2 years, while it did still snow, there were also many mild days.  

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 10:07:11 PM »

Ok in the event that I might get smacked,I LOVE snow,there I said it ;D Maybe cause here in Ky we dont get much at all :( When we do get it,it seems like we get a WHOLE lot,hehehehe.

From what you ppls are writing I

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2003, 10:15:23 PM »
Sorry! Oops hit the wrong button there.Guess Iam getting a bit too excited about snow ;D

Anyhoo,as I was saying,From what you ppls are writing I see that there isnt alot of snow up North where we will be living.My MIL told us the other day that it was very cold and they had frost.That was about it.

I like a whole bunch but will settle for 6 inches like Caitlinn ;)

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 05:47:01 PM »
I LOVE snow as well.  But then, I've lived 23 years in the middle of a desert which sees over 300 days a year of unbroken sunshine and un-Godly heat  :-/

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 07:07:37 PM »
I like snow to a point....then I like to see it gone. I live 10 miles north of Boston and this past week-ends Nor'Easter dropped 30 inches of snow in a non-stop blizzard which lasted from Friday night around 10:30 PM until Sunday evening around 5:00 PM :o

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 07:33:51 PM »
Awww shoot Celtic.  Sorry to hear to you are north of Boston.  Now you get to look forward to a rain storm tomorrow.  Should be fun seeing where all that snow is going to go.  NOT!  Will you have to worry about flooding?  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2003, 09:26:20 AM »
I love snow for a week, then I'm ready for it to be over.
We don't get much snow in Wiltshire, certainly less now, it seems, than when I first moved across six years ago. What astounds me is that we seem to get piddly snow that doesn't set for the whole of winter, and then a huge whallop at Easter!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2003, 01:08:28 PM »
I used to dread snow...I guess because I lived in New England (south of Boston) for most of my life and saw my fair share of it. Now that I'm living in the UK I want it to snow!!
Last year my hubby (he was still my fiance at this stage) sent me a pic of some snow that had fallen. It was barely a dusting on the ground. I laughed and remarked that I don't consider it snow unless there's at least a foot on the ground.  ;D

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2003, 01:11:36 PM »
a good fall of snow is a rare event in the South-East, which means that when it happens everyone behaves like they never saw snow in their lives before. Mass transit systems grind to a halt amazed that a bit of white stuff could possibly fall from the sky in winter, drivers behave like they had never had to drive in it before and six inches of it in one evening reduced the whole area to gridlock last January.  After some ritual complaining everyone forgets about it and waits for the whole thing to happen again.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab