Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: what to say to immigration  (Read 626 times)

• Liked: 0
what to say to immigration
« on: March 10, 2006, 05:44:53 PM »
My fiance is coming to the US from the UK this summer so we can get married. After that I'm going to apply for a spousal visa and move to the UK to join him. I'm wondering what he should say to the immigration officials when he comes in to the US.

I feel like if he says he's coming over to get married to me, they will automatically freak out because he won't have a fiance visa (even though it's not necessary for us). And then, god forbid, the worst case scenario is that they'll send him back and we'll have to cancel the whole wedding!

He's leaning toward telling them "I'm going to a wedding" which, you know, is true.  ;)  He'll be here for a week and a half, he'll have his return ticket, about a week and a half of clothes, and maybe some supporting documents with him for my visa (if he doesn't mail them to me beforehand) like bank statements, letter from his job, lease, etc. He is also thinking about putting my dad's name as who he's staying with just in case.

He's never been denied entry or flagged as suspicious before, and has only been here 3 times in the last 3 years (5 days, 5 days, and 2 weeks, respectively).

Also, should I tell his guests and relatives coming over from the UK to not say they're going to a wedding, but just traveling? 

Sorry if this is scattered, but I worry! Thanks for your input.

• taking over birmingham one by one...
  • Liked: 1
Re: what to say to immigration
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 09:55:48 PM »
in the exact same boat as you.

curious to see what the replies will be on this one.
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:59:27 PM »
Well, if he's carrying supporting documents such as letters from his job and lease, this shows a tie to the UK.  So if he says he's coming to marry, then go with his spouse to apply for a spousal visa to return the UK, I couldn't see where the IO should be that concerned.

But, take what I say with a grain of salt because I've never been in that position.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 10:06:57 PM »
I'm not giving advice but I can tell you that when my husband and I did this last year he just told the IO he was visiting me for a couple of weeks. I was with him but in another line. All he said was, "She just spent a month with me in England and now I'm spending a couple weeks with her." The IO didn't say much more than "have fun" and stamped his passport.

I agree with Cait though. If he's got documents with him showing ties to the UK and he makes it clear that he knows he can't settle in the US and instead will be going with you to apply for a visa then there shouldn't be any problems. What he's doing is perfectly legal.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 10:10:01 PM »
He probably won't be going with me to apply for the visa, because I don't think we'll be able to get our marriage license in time and he has to go back to work. Do you think that'll make any difference?

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 10:15:29 PM »
No, it shouldn't make a difference.

Sorry, I've been reading things wrong all flippin week! lol

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 11:40:24 PM »
There's another lady here by the name of Lola that has done the marriage in the US thing too.  She might be able to also tell you what her husband did when he entered the US.

But if you are that concerned about his entry (even if he's leaving before you apply for the spousal visa), carrying those documents will help to support his case and demonstrate his intent to return to the UK.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 08:54:54 PM »
Your fiance can admit that he's entering the US to marry you.  The IO might wish him well or might ask a few questions, really depends on the luck of the draw.  I would suggest that your fiance has evidence of intention to return to the UK -- a letter from his boss saying he's expected back on a particular day would be great, as would a copy of his lease or mortgage.  As long as he shows that he understands the rules and intends to follow them, he'll be just fine.   :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab