Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa for a Civil Partnership?  (Read 500 times)

• Kat
  • I don't have to like Bush to love my country

• Liked: 0
Visa for a Civil Partnership?
« on: March 13, 2006, 12:22:01 AM »
Sorry if this question has been answered before.  I've been trying to read through all the threads to see if it has, but I am starting to get confused. 

I am planning to move myself and my daughter to live with my parnter in May 07.  I have been to the UK once (almost got turned back by the gate offcial because I had forgotten to write down the address of the hotel I was at) for two weeks, and then my gf came over last summer/fall for the full 3 month stay.  What kind of visa do I need to apply for? 

For the past few months we have both been under the assumption that I would apply for an Unmarried Partners Visa, and she being a UK-born citizen would sponsor me.  Once I arrived there, we would file for our civil union, live together two years, and then do the interview for me to stay.  Is that not the case?  The people with non-profit agencies trying to help people in our situation will probably let us grow old and die before the answer us!  She has been trying to get down to an official agency and talk to someone, but with work issues, etc, it's just been hard. 

Anyone that could shed some light would definitely be a Blessing.  Thanks in advance for any help given!!!!!   :)
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning" Catherine Aird

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Visa for a Civil Partnership?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 12:25:57 AM »
 You don't qualify for an umarried partner visa until you've already been living together for 2 years, akin to marriage.  Meaning, you don't qualify for that particular visa.  Being together and not married is difficult because of the 2 year requirement.  You will have to provide proof that you've been living together, etc.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 12:49:51 AM »
What kind of visa do I need to apply for? 

You wouldn't apply for UNMARRIED PARTNER unless you can meet the cohabitation hurdle.

As I understand what you've written, you would apply as a PROPOSED CIVIL PARTNER.  Use the VAF2 form for that.  After your partnership is legal, you would then apply for FLR using the FLR(M) form.

• Kat
  • I don't have to like Bush to love my country

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 12:13:18 AM »
Thanks for the info
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning" Catherine Aird

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 12:49:17 AM »
If applying as a "proposed civil partner" do both parties need to show that they are free to marry within the 6 months like the fiance visa requirement?  My partner's divorce is in the process but one never knows exactly how long it will take.  Perhaps this would be another route to pursue? 

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 04:30:43 PM »
If applying as a "proposed civil partner" do both parties need to show that they are free to marry within the 6 months like the fiance visa requirement? 

Yes, that the divorce is well under way...

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 01:22:53 PM »
Thanks garry.  Thought that might be the case, but it wasn't specified as far as I could see. 

Sponsored Links