Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 6 months in a year for visitors?  (Read 520 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
6 months in a year for visitors?
« on: March 13, 2006, 12:21:21 PM »
Are you allowed to stay 6 months in a twelve month period or is it every 6 months you get your passport stamped? How do they know how long you've been in the country? Last time I flew out of Birmingham, they didn't scan my passport when I left.  Do they have some sort of system that alerts them how long you've been in the country?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: 6 months in a year for visitors?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 12:51:10 PM »
There is not actually a law which says you can only stay for 6 months in 12, although it is something which is upheld in principle.

If they haven't stamped your passport, then they wouldn't know when you left unless they ask you.

Victoria

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 01:07:43 PM »
When I first came to visit hubby I stayed for a week & they stamped my passport for 6 months. Then when I came back a couple months later they again stamped it for 6 months.and thats how long I stayed, So I technically stayed for 6 months + 1 week within a 12 month period,it wasnt a problem when I applied for my visa & no questions were asked

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 01:37:06 PM »
I had the complete opposite scenario to EnglandsYank. 

I came for a work project for 6 months (Jan-July).  Met boy...went home...came for a visit in October for 4 days...get held at passport control for 4 hours while they checked interrogated me.  One of the rules they cited was that by coming back for a 4 day trip, I was overstaying the 6 months within one calendar year rule.

After hearing so many stories on this board, I think it's just luck of the draw.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 09:56:38 AM »
After hearing so many stories on this board, I think it's just luck of the draw.

I agree, it depends on who you get at Immigrations and what type of mood they're in.  I know of someone who somehow has been coming in and out on a visitor's visa for over 18 months!  No idea how they've managed that.  I, on the other hand, always get hassled and interrogated.  I can't wait until after my wedding...then I won't have to deal with that ever again!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab