Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: need creative advice  (Read 628 times)

• Liked: 0
need creative advice
« on: March 13, 2006, 10:27:49 PM »
I have been reading over this and other boards dealing with immigrating to the UK and have found alot of useful information(more on this forum than any other).  My situation, while I'm certain is not completely unique, is hard to match with applicable posts.  The odds don't look good on the surface, and that's where I need the help of someone who had similiar circumstances or are very familiar with the UK visa system and who can think outside the box.
Here's my situation;  I am a US citizen, over 40, single, and live near Atlanta.  I have been to the UK six times and love the people and the country.  My holiday travel has taken me to other parts of Europe, but none left me longing to return like the UK.  I have decided to try to satisfy my dream of immigrating, so that I too, can enjoy and become a useful part of the society you all call home.  
I have looked into HSMP.  I didn't graduate from university(an internship turned into a job in radio and I never went back to finish).  The last 15 years have been spent working for a US record label in the promotion and marketing department.  Unless I am reading the manual incorrectly, I would not qualify for the 65 points.
There are quite a few radio jobs available throughout the UK, but radio stations are not the type to sponser and get you a work permit.  And there are plenty of sales jobs out there, but again, no work permit.  I haven't been able to find a shortage list with either occupation on it.  I would do whatever work I could according to which visa I can get in on.  I have funds to support myself(I live by average means) for several years, or those funds could be used to start a business.  The total available to me is approx. $300K.  There are friends in the Midlands I could stay with while I get an idea of where I want to settle(probably Scotland).  
It seems the only things I have in my corner are that there are jobs posted on the job boards that I could qualify for, and I have funds to keep me going for a good while.  I am certain that given the chance I would acclaimate very well.  I want to make this happen iin the worst way!
Does anyone(who has not nodded off whilst reading this) have any ideas on what path I should choose?  I'm sure that it will not be as simple as if I were a spouse or worked in IT.  But I know enough people who have immigrated with less going for them, so I am not going to give up.  
I thank you in advance for any good advice.  PM me if you don't care to reply publicly.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: need creative advice
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 10:55:36 PM »
Your best option would be to come as a student.  It's expensive but considering you don't have a degree and few prospects for work permits, it's a safe bet.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 10:56:37 PM »
Or wait for the new skills based visa.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 11:06:23 PM »
First of all, you don't need to be on the shortage list to get a work permit.  With that much experience you would certainly qualify if you get the right job with an employer willing to sponsor a work permit.

Secondly, if you wanted to set up your own company here, you could do so with an investment of £200k.  Have a look at www.ukvisas.gov.uk and see if you could qualify for a business visa.  I think that this is a little more than you have, but if you can raise a little more, you might be onto a winner.

Any questions, let me know.

Victoria

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 04:04:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I hadn't thought about the student route.  Do you think an almost-50 could get accepted at univeristy, and would HO grant a visa to me? 
Regarding setting up my own business, I have thought of that.  Is there a list of business start-ups that they will grant a visa for?  I'm under the impression that you can't come to the UK and set up any business;it has to be one that HO deems necessary. 
Does anyone know of someone who immigrated under either of these schemes?

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 04:15:32 PM »
If you have something desirable that can't be found in a candidate over here, you might be able to get someone to sponsor a work permit for you.... I was in your shoes about four years or so ago - worked for record labels and music dot coms in the US for many years and tried to get hired over here.

I interviewed (which, by the way, is illegal - you can't come over here to job hunt - I hadn't done my homework and had no clue about that when I did it and am quite lucky to have got away with it!) with Sony and Universal with no success but had more interest from smaller companies who imported stuff to the US because I knew the market and could have been relatively successful as a sales rep. to US retailers.... If you can think of a spin like that you might get someone interested. I actually managed to get as far as getting a job offer when the owner decided he didn't want to pay the fees for the visa and instead wanted me to work illegally - which I obviously declined.

The student thing was my 2nd option and though it cost me a mint in student loans, it got me over here to be with my boyfriend which allowed me the time to decide if he was worthy of being my husband. Which he was.   :D

I also know someone who is here under the innovation visa or whatever it is that allows you to set up a company. It took him forever to get, was extremely hard work, and he had to have a lot of investors backing him. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you're 110% committed to and fired up about your business idea....

Regardless, good luck with your plans. Where there's a will there's a way.

• Banned

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 05:14:26 PM »
You can come to the UK to attend interviews and apply for jobs - it's not illegal at all.

The Business Visa is a tricky one, but with suitable experience and a damn good business plan, as well as the £200k investment - it is far from impossible.  It can be in any business area, but you need to show that the idea is viable, and that you can guarantee employment for two UK residents within 12 months of setting up business.

I have made these applications in the past quite successfully. 

Victoria

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 05:25:38 PM »
You can come to the UK to attend interviews and apply for jobs - it's not illegal at all.

You can?? I was under the impression that you couldn't job hunt if you were here as a tourist. Nice to know that I wasn't breaking the law!  :D

• Banned

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 05:39:37 PM »
A common misconception.

Having said that, if you come in to the UK and announce to the immigration officer "I'm here to job hunt" your chances of being granted entry are slim to none!

Victoria

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 06:43:05 PM »
how much are the work permit fees?  From what I've seen, it's 153 pounds forr WP ad tthen a seperate fee for EC.  Anything I am missing there?
The small label thing is interesting...is there anything preventing the employee giving the employer the money for the WP?

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 12:27:59 PM »
The work permit fees are £153, and although it is usual for the employer to pay there is nothing to prevent the employee from paying if he wants to!

Entry clearance fees usually work out at about £75-£100, but you need to check with the consulate in advance.

Entry clearance for other categories, such as investor, are more.

Victoria

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 10:50:42 PM »
I briefly looked at postgraduate university, perhaps to obtain a Masters in the UK.  I idly looked at a few universities, I think one was the University of Kent because DW was living down that way at the time.  Anyway, about 7-8 years ago they were charging £12,000/year tuition for overseas students.  I can only imagine they are quite a few thousand ££ more these days.

So I would guess that they'd come begging if you stumped up the cash giving how much they can make off international students.  With most universities actually charging either nothing or a relatively small top-up fee (is it up to £3000 tuition?  That's something like 1 months worth to some private US universities!) the money they make off international students must be astounding.

Actually, thinking back, my wife applied for a university course where only 1 out of 9 British appilicants at the time actually could get in and her roommate from Canada breezed in simply because they put forward the overseas tuition - the Uni must have been laughing to the bank.

So I guess while it's probably an easy way into the UK - at least for a few years - it probably will not be a cheap method!
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab