Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: We're moving back to the US.  (Read 3148 times)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
We're moving back to the US.
« on: January 02, 2004, 01:15:48 PM »
But not for a year!

*long post ahead! beware!*

David & I have been back and forth, and back and forth, and then back and forth some more over the whole "where do we live" issue, really since we met nearly 3 years ago. Our problem was that we kept thinking about what *we* would miss about each country. Moving to the US sounded great until we thought about things like English tv, his ill twin brother, castles, markets, and slow lifestyles. Staying in the UK sounded great until we thought about things like tax, convenience, me driving, cost of living, washing machines, and buying a house. I've always had mixed feelings about moving again.

So a little while back we decided to start looking at it from a whole new perspective. To completely ignore what we want for ourselves, and think of it from our new son's perspective. What do we want for him? We sat down over a nice dinner (and afterwards a pub) and wrote down a list of things we wanted our child to experience growing up. And the biggest things on that list all pointed to America.

We've always known David could get a better job in the US. He's been looking for a new job here for a year and a half, and the job market for his skill here is abysmal. FYI - he's a controls & commissioning engineer/ PLC & Robot programmer for a company that puts their machines in huge factories like Ford, Nissan, BMW, etc. We've always known that living back in Michigan (where I lived when I met him and where he worked for a year and a half with Ford) is a much, MUCH better place to be if you're in the suto industry. We always knew he'd work less hours there as well. Right now (for this month) he's working 12-14 hour days, not including his 3 hour commute each day. And all of a sudden we realized "Yeah, it stinks for us that he's not home a lot, but oh.my.god we don't want our son growing up with an absent father!" (Some more background... DAvid's father had the exact same job David has now when David & siblings were children, and David hated his father being away so much - often for months at a time - because David being the first born, and male, ended up being more fatherlike than he'd have liked. And we don't want that for our son.)

So there's that whole work issue. David would get more time with our child(ren). He'd also get paid a h£ll of a lot better than he does here, with less tax taken out, and with a much lower cost of living. Which means? We can actually afford for us and/or our child(ren) to fly to the "other" country and visit family & experience that culture. If we stay in England on this income - not only can we not afford a house in anything short of a trillion years, but we can't afford to keep flying to America. Living in America, earning more money, means the ability for our child to know both families like he couldn't if we were here.

Plus some other things. Like the fact that I have a huge extended family, there are already loads of babies in the family that Philip would grow up knowing, he already has 5 first cousins with plenty more coming. Here in England he only has one cousin, and that cousin lives quite far away. No babies anywhere. No instant big family community that we want for him.

Another point worth making is that David has desperately wanted to move to America for ages. WAY before he met me in fact! He worked in the US & Canada quite a while before meeting me (at the end of his working stint there) and has always wanted to go back and live/work there. So it's not like I've had to talk him into it! On the contrary, with me nesting like CRAZY with this baby!

SO. We're going to wait until Philip Andrew is born... obviously since I'm so "heavy" with child... and move next January. Hopefully that gives us time to pay off the small debt we have and get some cash behind us.

We know it's going to be hard. We know we don't have the cash and resources that would make the process go so much more smoothly. We know it will be difficult to pry our baby from my in-laws hands. We know moving trans-atlantically will be more expensive than we can imagine. We know it will be a struggle for David emotionally. We know America isn't the promised land, and that it will still be hard when we get there.

But... we've made the decision, and feel like now is the best time to go. If we don't do it now, we won't be able to for a long time. Go while Philip is still a wee baby. Go before we have the expense of more children. Go while David is still in his 30's and has contacts in America that will get him a good job. Go while the auto industry in the US is picking up. Just go for crying out loud!

Now, for the legal bit.

We've decided to completely avoid him getting a work visa with anyone. Even if his company lets him transfer (they do have a Detroit branch, but it's unlikely they'll have enough work to transfer him), we don't want him in the States on a work permit. If he lost his job, or wanted to leave it, he'd have to go back to the UK. We know that he could change his status... but that takes a long time. MUCH longer than it would take if we just did a DCF (Direct Consular Filing) here. Of course, it *does* mean there's the possibility of us plopping our butts in America with neither one of us having a job - which is scary to say the least - but we're doing it anyway. David would be able to pick up contract work right away, which would be tempporary, but enough to give us immediate income. He's also willing to stay at home with Philip while I go out to work right away at a temp agency or whatever. It must be said that to start out with, we'll be living with my parents, so we don't have to pay for rent or food right away. Thank all that is good and holy. David will job search, and then we'll move to wherever that job is - though it's almost certain to be back in good old Southeast Michigan - where there happens to be loads of UK expats anyway!

So in August we're starting the paperwork for a Direct Consular Filing. Which means we're applying for a visa for David on basis of marriage to a US citizen. We will also be having one of my family members "sponsor" us financially, since we don't have the assets or cash to do it on our own. From everything I've read the process takes 3-4 months. And he walks off the plane with the ability to work for any US company, and has a Green Card in hand very shortly afterwards. Doing it this way, with the US spouse living in the UK and applying directly to the consular (in London) is the quickest way to get him/us into the US.

I have to file an I-130 as the US citizen in our marriage. He files his paperwork as well (I forget the numbers, but I'll be giving specific details here of everything we do, as we do it... along with a schedule that I'm working on as we speak). Our sponsor in the US files loads of paperwork as well. He gets a medical done, fingerprints, etc... we get an interview at the Embassy, and we get our visa. Then hop on the plane! (Though I know it will be more stressful than what I'm insinuating!)

We're starting the process in late August (on his birthday, actually), which gives us 4.5 months for the whole process to happen successfully. We'll have our flight booked for January. If things go pear-shaped then we'll make adjustments. But we can't let the inevitable stress & mistakes get in our way.

I'll keep everyone up to date with what we do & exactly when, especially since I know a lot of people are and/or will be in our position. Wish me luck!  
[smiley=speechless.gif]
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
Re: We're moving back to the US.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 01:22:48 PM »
Oh, I also thought I'd post some links that have been enormously helpful in learning about the process:

http://www.visajourney.com/
Has a good forum with lots of info. Most people there are going the fiancee visa route, though there are some who are doing a spouse visa. Not a UK/US specific board, but GREAT info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/index.php?s=
Another forum, with a specific USA immigration board, as well as a link to the US immigration newsgroup.

http://www.ameriscot.com/i130/
Ameriscot's page about the process. This woman knows everything!

http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm
US Citizen and Immigration Services official website

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/iv/ivindex.htm
US Embassy in London's page about what to do and when

http://www.k1homepages.com/#uk
Marriage Based Visa homepage - a collection of personal experiences, though again a lot of them are for K-1 visas (which is a fiancee visa)

http://www.geocities.com/immigration_helpsite/I-130/index.htm
An I-130 Immigration help site

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 02:30:34 PM »
since I know a lot of people are and/or will be in our position. Wish me luck!  
[smiley=speechless.gif]

You are right and GOOD LUCK!!!!
I will be sending off the I-130 and DS-230 (part 1) next week - so wish me luck too!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 03:36:16 PM »
Oh wow - good luck then Missy... and let us know how it goes for you, and exactly what you send & when! Maybe it will help me freak out a bit less while I'm doing it. ;)
When are planning on flying back then? Do you already have the date set? Have you filled out the forms yet?

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 04:00:57 PM »
I will be flying back the end of January to get a real job and start looking for a house. I can’t continue working my guts out for poverty level pay that I have been earning here!  I will fly back here for a week in March, or whenever Kevin gets his appointment with the Embassy. Then, Kevin and my daughter will fly over after her exams – end of May(ish). I have downloaded all of the forms and will complete them this weekend, apart from the bloody  I-864, which I will complete in the states and post back to Kevin. As long as he has it by his interview date, it will be fine. Thank goodness we have experience with organization and putting this type of stuff in order! I am not as worried as I was preparing for my fiancée visa and FLR!! At this very moment, Kevin is at the Doctors Surgery requesting documentation on his vaccinations, and then will go to the local police station to request the police certificate, which we should get back in 45 days. I will give you updates on everything we experience!!!.
Melissa [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 04:45:00 PM »
(((hugs))) and good luck to both of you Sara and Melissa. :)

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 09:59:32 PM »
Sara,
Good to hear that you and your husband have sat down to weigh out all the options that there are. :D
It's a always a tough choice to make.
I'm in the same boat right now as well....trying to organize me and my wife's plan of action toward moving back to the states.

It was easier for me to move here to England....i had the resources to do so....but it seems quite a bit more intimidating
thinking about getting Me and the wife back to the states.  On the move here at least one of us were settled in a country...but upon moving back to the states niether of us are going to be settled.
In the long run it will be worth it though.  Once i'm back in the states i have the connections to get back into decent work right away.
Like missy_jx2 said :

I can't continue working my guts out for poverty level pay that I have been earning here!

I've been trying to get things rolling...it's just not doing it for me.  Me and my wife want to have children, but we don't think it's a good time for us to have em at the moment....i don't feel like we would be in a position to raise them in the way that we want to.  I feel as though i'm not supporting my wife enough finacialy at the moment...so i know i would feel even worse if i were in a position where i
couldn't support my wife and child. >:(
I'm not a really materialistic person, but am a giving person.  I just need to know that i have the resources to maintain a comfortable life and take care of those around me that i care for and love.
It looks as though i can be a better provider for a family back in the states.  
We'll have many more options open to us...were here at times i just feel stagnant....i don't drive so all i see are the same damn streets i walk down every day to work....or the same streets that i walk to go visit somebody or the same damn street i walk to do the shopping.
I thought i was going to do a lot more traveling when i moved here....see more of UK and maybe some of europe...but i don't have that option.
any way it seems as though i'm starting to go on now....

Congrats Sara and good luck with your journy back to the states.  ;D
also Thank you so much for posting those links!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

-bob

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 10:48:50 PM »
Thanks for that Bob. You said:
It looks as though i can be a better provider for a family back in the states.
... and that's exactly what David says as well, in his case. I know there are some jobs that you can earn the same here, but his isn't one of them. And I know he'll be less stressed knwoing that he's making a better income with a lower cost of living... especially now that the sprog is on the way. His "provider" mentality is what pushes him to the States.

I agree as well about the difficulty of the situation, it was so much easier coming here because at least one of us was settled! But I figure, well... even though it will be harder going the other way that's no reason to not do it - and if nothing else it is another adventure! :)

Good luck to you as well, and if you start up the process make sure you share it with us - the more the merrier, and the more stories & experiences we share, hopefully the less stressful it will be for everyone. ((hug))

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 11:05:37 PM »
And if you move back to Michigan, you guys can come over for dinner. :)

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 11:54:23 AM »
And if you move back to Michigan, you guys can come over for dinner. :)

Sounds good, cuz we'll be going back to michigan :)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 01:03:14 PM »

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 04:42:20 PM »
Hubby and I are planning on moving back to the states in 1-2 yrs. He's going for a company transfer. I like the UK, but I'll always consider the states "home."

• California Dreamin'
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2004, 05:31:00 AM »
So are we, you guys! Unfortuately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it!), I took a very unexpected job offer and went ahead and came out to San Diego way ahead of schedule. So now hubby is still in London and it SUCKS!

But at least now I can sponsor him and it is all under way. We're still doing the DCF and I have the forms here with me. I'll send them back to him and...we're off! I am PRAYING it doesn't take forever since we're both already miserable without each other. And the whole bit about his not being able to visit while the visa is in process is the WORST!

I may be back here for questions if you don't mind! ;)
Cake or death? Cake please!

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2004, 07:10:21 AM »
Hi!

Let me just say, I probably have no business posting here. ::)

I have read the rational for all the reasons for returning to the US and they sound good.

Just one question, for the people with young children: how do you feel you will manage the gigantic costs of college in the United States when the time comes? At my public university, the cost is around 15,000$ a year--at a private school it hovers around 35.000$--and isn't getting cheaper :'(

In the UK for all four years, students who qualify (Those who aren't considered foreign nationals) pay a fraction for all four years in comparision to what Americans pay here for two semesters. It's an awesome deal when compared to the American system.

Of course one can get FAFSA money--but financial aid is a fickle and cruel mistress >:( Scholarships are deffinately out there too--but nonetheless, one can feel screwed over when they start comparing.

Would anyone actually move back for educational reasons?

cheers,

Samantha**

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2004, 12:25:07 PM »
Would anyone actually move back for educational reasons?

Yep. It's on our list of reasons to move.
As for paying for university - we'll manage. Just like mine did even though they didn't have very much money. Scholarships, student loans, work study, getting a job... of course it's expensive, but staying in the UK for 18 more years would be more expensive. We'll have better income & lower cost of living in the US. If he wants to go to a US college, we'll swing it. Our child will be a British citizen and American citizen. He can go where he wants.

Also plus, my husband hates the English school system. He had horrible experiences with it, as did his disabled brother - and while he understands that things are different now, and that we run just as much a chance of getting crappy schools wherever we move in the US - in his mind he feels like our child, if he does have diabilities or problems like he & his brother did, will be treated better in the US school system.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab