Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: food shopping  (Read 880 times)

• Liked: 0
food shopping
« on: January 02, 2004, 10:50:36 PM »
From what I understand the fridges are very small so do you shop for food on a daily basis?
                                                               Thanks....Cad

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: food shopping
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 11:10:30 PM »
I now have a slightly larger than normal fridge (still smaller than a US one) and I do a once-a-week shop, which is enough to feed a family of three.  Even when I had an 'average' UK fridge, I still only did the shopping once a week.

Might have to pick up the odd thing during the week, but I certainly don't shop every day.

Hope this helps.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 11:11:38 PM »
I'm with Caitlinn.  We generally shop once a week.  Sometimes I may have to pick up fresh items like fruits or vegetables during the week but generally once a week does it.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 01:43:40 AM »
I go food shopping once a week, although we do buy bread and milk a couple of times throughout the week.  I think the main difference is that we don't have the super size containers of things-milk, mayonaisse, etc.  Also, I tend to shop for the week ahead-knowing what meals I'm going to have which days whereas I think my sisters in the states tend to buy alot of things and plan from what they have.  The other thing I do differently here is clean the fridge out every week before I shop-there are no ancient bottles of wine or novelty pickles in my fridge.  When it reaches it's sell by date, it's gone.  But since I don't buy much that I don't know I'm going to use, there's not too much wastage.  
I would reccomend getting a (small) chest freezer.  This really helps with food storage and buying the supermarket deals-we're great Iceland shoppers in this house.   :)

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 12:40:02 PM »
Yep, we're once-a-week shoppers too.  I thought I'd really miss having a lot of fridge and cupboard space but you do learn to deal with it.  I think we shop much smarter now and there is practically no wasting food.

Plus, leftovers aren't really done as much here as in the US.  We cook as much as we need so there isn't much leftover anyway, but it also helps reduce the green-foiled surprise lurking in the back of the fridge when you clean it out.  The lack of all those tupperware containers with food rotting in them saves a lot of space!  :)

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 03:53:38 PM »
 I suppose too,its how much room that you have.We was looking ourselves for fridges etc.... and saw what comet has to offer.
     As you can see here,they even sell Whirlpool there now :)
         http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/300.html

They do seem a bit expensive as well too.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 12:47:53 PM »
We have what I would consider a small fridge w/a VERY tiny freezer.  But (since we had the space) we also invested in a square freezer chest.  We do a "big" shop about once every 2 to 2-1/2 weeks.  We shop at Sainsburys and Lidl (a discount-type shop).  I'll pick up fresh fruits or veggies on my way home from work if needed (there's a Sainsburys between my work and the bus stop).
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 02:40:02 PM »
We shop at Sainsburys and Lidl (a discount-type shop).

James LOVES Lidl.  He'd do all our shopping there if I let him.  ::)  It'd be all 'meat-salad' :o  and Vitamin juice ???.

Thinking about it, we don't go once a week either.  We go to Iceland for frozen deals and Asda about once a fortnight.  Then we pop to the local Safeway as we need to-bread and milk and things we've forgotten.  This method works for us since we both work and don't have the time to spare every weekend and I'm too knackered to go in the evening.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 05:06:42 PM »
From what I understand the fridges are very small so do you shop for food on a daily basis?
                                                               Thanks....Cad

Actually, you can get very large fridges in the UK, it's just having the room and the initial money to buy them.  Elle and I went into a store called Alders, which is a deparment store in the UK and we saw many fridges the kind of size that she was used to in the states.  But they were £2000!!  So if you want the size be prepared to pay big money!

Sponsored Links