Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where can I get American food in London and the UK  (Read 208164 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 0
Re: Where can I get American food in London and the UK
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 06:55:16 PM »
cybercandy.com

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2004, 07:14:22 PM »
Hi,

I live in the north east of england and i'm having great difficulty finding american products. In particular I cant find saltines (the local tesco doesnt stock American Snack Crackers and the gateshead Costco hasnt had any saltines in almost a year).

Is there anyone who knows where i can find american products in and around tyne and wear (even cumbria ?)

Thx

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2004, 07:33:02 PM »
What specifically are you looking for? 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2004, 07:36:07 PM »
Nothing refrigerated or frozen is going to be found....

Yeah, ya know that is really irritating. With the state of technology today, wouldn't you think that someone could ship something refridgerated???? I know this is full-on pathetic, but I don't care: if someone could ship Eggos over I'd make it very worth their while. LOL.

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2004, 12:00:32 PM »

Hello all, after looking over the food conversion chart  found so many names of things i have been looking for, but did not find what " Crisco shortening" would be called here.
The only thing I can seem to find is lard. Can anyone help? Thank you
~The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams....It's belief that gets you there~

• Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 12:06:55 PM »
There really is nothing that equals Crisco over here i.e. a shortening that can remain on a shelf indefinitely.  However, a close replacement would be Trex or Flora, found in the butter/margarine section. It's a vegetable shortening as well...just needs to be kept refrigerated. I've used this as a shortening substitute and it is very close to Crisco...I am a bit concerned when I use it for frosting and generally keep cakes that are iced with shortening in the refridgerator..
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Newbie here
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2004, 12:18:51 PM »

Hello all, after looking over the food conversion chart  found so many names of things i have been looking for, but did not find what " Crisco shortening" would be called here.
The only thing I can seem to find is lard. Can anyone help? Thank you

You can actually buy Crisco here - *if* you're prepared to pay for it. :)  I know they sell the small pots in Selfridges in Birmingham, and I would guess that they're sold in food halls elsewhere, too.  Selfridges also sells Aunt Jemima's maple syrup, Goldfish, Karo corn syrup, Oreos and other American bits... all for insane prices, but okay if they're just treats. :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2004, 12:21:31 PM »
They have Crisco & (various varieties of) Karo syrup at Rosslyn Deli in Hampshire.

As well as tonnes of other lovely non-American food items.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2004, 09:21:51 PM »
I forget the name of the place as it has been a while since I lived there, but Lakeside Mall has a store on the lower level just outside Marks & Spencer that sells primarily American food. Lots of cereal, candy, cookies, PB, fluff, pop, etc... It is East of London, in Chafford Hundred Essex, about 20 minutes East of the Tower of London.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2004, 09:28:56 PM »
Harvey Nichols has a few American food items. I've found goldfish crackers and Hershey's cookies and creme bars and Jelly Bellies. They're not all that expensive and you get to leave with a fab Harvey Nichols back which, of course, impresses the heck out of everyone who sees it.   ;)
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2004, 10:56:27 PM »
Fortnum and Mason has a few goodies too - Aunt Jemima cakes mix, pancake mix etc, maple syrups and some Tex-Mex sauces.

The Canadian Shop in Covent Garden is worth a look too, they have a few sweets and snacks etc

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2004, 09:20:33 AM »
The Canadian Shop Britwife mentioned has Rice-A-Roni, for anyone missing "The San Fransisco Treat."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2004, 10:32:30 AM »
The Canadian Shop Britwife mentioned has Rice-A-Roni, for anyone missing "The San Fransisco Treat."

Oh thanks!  >:( Now I have that little jingle in my head all day!  :D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2004, 10:46:14 AM »

Oh thanks! >:( Now I have that little jingle in my head all day! :D

My mother taught me to share!  ;)

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2004, 12:39:00 AM »
Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know where I can purchase Ghiradelli Chocolate bar? MIL loves them and would be nice to get that for one of her Xmas pressies.  There's a shop called Howells here that sells Ghiradelli but cocoa powder  >:(

Thanks in advanced!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab