Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to Take the Bus  (Read 33536 times)

Re: How to Take the Bus
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Something I learned on a recent visit to London is that there are some bus stops in London where you have to purchase a ticket from a machine at the bus stop before you get on the bus. (Didn't realise this until after I'd got on the bus expecting to pay with cash.)

Londoners, is this something new?!
I lived in London for 4 years and never saw this....  :o

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 06:50:51 PM »
Londoners, is this something new?!
I lived in London for 4 years and never saw this....  :o

I don't know how "new" it is but definitely you can see them in central London. Usually in high traffic areas where it would be too time consuming for the driver to deal with the cash handling.

I am still surprised buses still make change these days!! Most big city buses in the states have a deposit box that counts your money... if you over pay you over pay!

The other thing about Central London buses I just learned... if you get on an accordion bus (the kind with two parts attached by what looks like an accordion) you can jump on through any door and do not have to show the driver your ticket. It's an honor system unless you are asked to produce your ticket.

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 06:56:58 PM »
It's not too new. I know within the last year they have really started pushing it. Usually around the beginning of the year when they had all the new fee increases.  They really want to push the Oyster Card.  I have seen them everywhere.  Never used one because I have  an O.C.
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 07:57:35 PM »
I don't know how "new" it is but definitely you can see them in central London.

I left 5 years ago... even before Oyster cards.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 12:15:30 PM »
Buses in central London and ALL 'bendy buses' require payment in advance or Oyster pre-pay.  Bus stops have little ticket machines, which naturally don't give change, and if you don't have the Oyster/prepay, then you have to get a ticket.  If you try to pay in cash you will be refused..even if the bus has the capability to take cash.

It is supposed to speed up the time it takes to board a bus.  It's bloody silly in my book.  Been around for about 3 years I think.

Vicky

• We're working on it, okay? :)
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 09:10:25 AM »
I use the Oyster cards, simply because it's cheaper to take the bus and tube prepay.  Much more expensive otherwise.

I've noticed in London everyone sticks their hand out anyway, without even looking to see if the bus stop is a request or not.

I have to say that I generally ask friends what number bus lines i need to take 'til I know where I'm going.  Because I don't know the London streets or neighborhoods very well, the maps at the bus stations do me little to no good!
"It's different this time!  Last time she was demanding and possessive,
now she wants me to do stuff and be with her all the time!"
Fry (Futurama)

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 03:10:08 AM »
In London, its a good idea just to get a travelcard (can cover all zones, or certain zones.
You can buy them at any train station), so you can take the train, tube, or bus all day on one card, as much as you want (of course only on the day specified)! When I was there last year it was 6.30 for an all zones card (my girlfriend lives in Hampton, zone 6), and with the amount of tube and bus riding we did while in London, its well worth it.

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 08:31:31 AM »
something that I haven't seen mentioned in this topic....

If you know how much the fare is (from say, home into city centre or something), you can just tell the driver the ticket price and he'll print the correct ticket for you.  It's easier just to say "£1.60 please" than to worry about the driver not understanding me when I ask for a place (which does happen sometimes, sadly.)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »
something that I haven't seen mentioned in this topic....

If you know how much the fare is (from say, home into city centre or something), you can just tell the driver the ticket price and he'll print the correct ticket for you.  It's easier just to say "£1.60 please" than to worry about the driver not understanding me when I ask for a place (which does happen sometimes, sadly.)

This is definitely the way to go in the town I'm in - every time I've stated the place I'm going (except for the bus station) I've received a confused look and been asked to repeat myself - even when I've been told before by another driver to call the destination by a certain name!

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »
...every time I've stated the place I'm going (except for the bus station) I've received a confused look and been asked to repeat myself - even when I've been told before by another driver to call the destination by a certain name!
This is one reason I now use a multi-trip card--no conversation required!  ;)

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 03:56:57 PM »
I had to buy a 'return' ticket every morning to get to work. It  originally cost £3.50, then went up to £3.70. A weekly ticket (all day rides for seven days all over southern Britain - exluding London) cost £19. What I was spending fell just under £19 so I didn't bother with the goldrider.

But now that we've moved and I have to take a longer route, it's £4.80 for a return! :o I've discovered that buying a weekly is cheaper, even if I only go into town for work five days out of the seven. You can even buy monthly tickets in some areas that normally last 28 days.

Look into the different tickets. Depending on how much you travel you could end up saving money. You can buy some of them from the driver, or online or from a station. You can also print the gazillions of timetables off from http://www.stagecoachbus.com/  :)

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 04:01:40 PM »
You can even buy monthly tickets in some areas that normally last 28 days.

My monthly bus pass is £32 but I live up in the North west...

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 04:04:03 PM »
My monthly bus pass is £32 but I live up in the North west...

Wow, I was travelling 15 miles each way on the bus in the southwest last year - a monthly bus pass for me was £98.50 (or weekly, it was £25)!

• Mmmm...beer
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 02:54:24 PM »
One of my first experiences trying to get the bus...

I was stood at the bus stop, along comes the bus, so I go ahead and stick my arm out and the bus just rolled straight passed me.

I threw my arms up in the air, shouting angrily and the bus finally came to a stop. I ran after it and finally managed to hop on and the bus driver said "Sorry, I thought you were pointing at something"

Bare in mind that I was at the stop, in the middle of nowhere, BY MYSELF!!!! What in the world would I be pointing at!??!!

After this experience and the snickers from other passengers, I tried to avoid the embarassment of this happening in the future so I decided to give up on the idea of putting my hand out altogether.

Some time after, there I was at the bus stop again. I see the bus pulling up so I start digging around in my pockets and counting the correct change, only to have the bus roll right past. So again, my hands go up in the air, I shout angrily. The bus finally stops, I chase after it and hop on only to be completely belittled and shouted at by the bus driver for not putting my arm out.

Bare in mind that this stop is in the middle of nowhere, no sidewalks, no buildings, and this particular bus is the only bus on the route!!!

So after that I gave up and decided perhaps it was just best to walk.

I think I've finally grasped the subtle nuances of the bus flag though, which mostly comes down to a very British (non-commital) flick of the wrist that does not draw attention to oneself.

Who would have thought it would be so damn complicated!!!!  :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:58:48 PM by Kayla »
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
Some bus drivers are idiots.  You were lucky the second one stopped for you.

I often resort to standing in the middle of the road and waving like an eejit.

;D

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab