Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Working in the UK for less than 6 months.  (Read 668 times)

• My Myspace Profile
  • Liked: 0
Working in the UK for less than 6 months.
« on: May 17, 2006, 06:54:34 AM »
Hello all! It has been a while since I last posted here. However my determination hasn't dwindled... it has merely shifted focus for the last few months!

I went to UK Visas and did a search. And to my understanding it listed I do not need a visa to work in the UK for the less than 6 months being a US national.

That part I understood, what I didn't quite understand was my freedom to where I could be employed at. I currently already have access to a place to stay with a close friend. I also have quite the Resume (or CV). I am just not trying to get my hopes up until I figure out what my options are. Could anyone help me?

Thank you in advance!
Doug
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Re: Working in the UK for less than 6 months.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 06:58:59 AM »

I went to UK Visas and did a search. And to my understanding it listed I do not need a visa to work in the UK for the less than 6 months being a US national.

That is incorrect.
If you are here as a visitor, you cannot work.
You need a work permit or some other sort of settlement visa to be allowed to work here.

• My Myspace Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 07:07:24 AM »
I see, so I did misinterpret that. What are my options to work in the UK for up to 6 months? Here is what was listed on the UKVisa site:

"You asked if a national of United States needs a visa to come to the UK as a work permit holder for six months or less.

No, you do not need a visa.

On arrival in the UK you must satisfy an immigration officer that you qualify for entry to the United Kingdom as a work permit holder for six months or less under the Immigration Rules."

How and where would I be able to obtain a work permit?
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 07:09:36 AM »
Anyone from the US has to have a visa to work in the UK. I worked for six months on a BUNAC visa. Check the visa section on here, it will have tons of info
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 07:10:37 AM »
How and where would I be able to obtain a work permit?

Your employer in the UK has to apply for one on your behalf.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 09:43:16 AM »
just my two cents- getting the work permit isn't all that difficult.  it's finding an employer willing to sponsor/apply for the work permit that's often the sticking point.

are you recently out of US Universty?  If so, BUNAC visa may be an option.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab