Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just Checking  (Read 664 times)

• Liked: 0
Just Checking
« on: May 17, 2006, 03:19:24 PM »
Hi,

As some of you will Know Andrea (pittpanther) and I are getting married in the US on the 14th October 2006 and will then be returning to the UK to love, Andrea has so nicely given me the task of sorting the visa stuff out - YaY ;).

Anyway, Just wondering if anybody could guide me on the following.

1) As we are getting married in the US (but living in the UK), am I correct in assuming I can go into the US under the visa waver program to get married.  I realise it would help that I bring something from home proving that I intend to leave (tenancy agreement, letter from work, etc).  If this is correct, should I declare that I am getting married when entering the US and if I do can anybody who has been through it let me know what to expect from those lovely boys and girls from immigration ;).

2) Once married we are intending a quick stop off in New York to pick up Andrea's visa for the return home, I am assuming that the visa form we have to fill in is a VAF2 - Settlement visa.  Can anybody give us some experiences and "things to watch" list when applying for this visa.

Your help is appreciated.

Steve

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: Just Checking
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 03:39:41 PM »
2) Once married we are intending a quick stop off in New York to pick up Andrea's visa for the return home, I am assuming that the visa form we have to fill in is a VAF2 - Settlement visa.  Can anybody give us some experiences and "things to watch" list when applying for this visa.

Can't comment on coming over under the visa waiver program to get married, but the VAF2, the things to watch out for are a) make sure you have everything on the list of documents and b) they seem to scrutinize the financies more than anything else.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:30:10 PM »
HEY Let me relive your bones man.
  MY NOW HUSBAND came over here in March on a visa waver. So yes you can do that. DO NOT TELL THEM YOU ARE GETTING MARRIED! Say you are visiting your friend/girlfriend whatever. My husband said girlfriend and well it is LAX they dont care for some reason. Hmph.   But yeah Just say you are here on HOLIDAY as to avoid any problems
 You can still give her address as to where you are staying they dont care about that.
  You need not tell them you are flying to NYC or anything else. They need not know all your business.
   Them: Nature of stay?
    You: On holiday, or visiting a friend.

THATS ALL
 you save yourslf such a heart attack that way!
:)

YES YES YES. If you are staying no longer then 90 days you dont need to freak out!

:) ;D
 Make sure when you are going to NYC that you have all the neccesary paperork for you visa. I also suggest putting eeverything in a folder so that they can flip right through things. I did that and it helped so much. The lady said i was quite organized. ANd when i need to be I am.
  You at least will be with each other so thats good.
LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES! Need anymore info. Let us knopw.

NOW RELAX AND CONGRATULATIONS!
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:59:58 PM »
Can't offer any help but really, really am charmed by the following, which I assume is a typo.  :D

... Andrea (pittpanther) and I are getting married in the US on the 14th October 2006 and will then be returning to the UK to love, ....

The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 10:00:19 PM »
Agreement... agreement.  Say nothing but HOLIDAY.  

And make sure NY office is the correct office for her home state.  My VISA was handled in Los Angeles.  It's on the Visa4UK site - which office handles which states.

Other than that, you should be good to go.  Be sure to check the state guidelines for getting a marriage license.  My husband came here 3 days earlier than originally planned just so we could get our marriage license.  You can also walk it through the system to get your certified copy.

Let me make one recommendation - get at least 5 certified copies of your marriage license after you are married.  The passport department kept mine so I had to go get another one.

For the settlement visa, they ask a lot of PERSONAL questions about your relationship on the application - wanting to know a lot of dates and how many times you have been together, have you kept in touch - we provided phone records, photos and copies of itineraries to show all the time we keep in touch and times we have been together.

~BEG

• My Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 01:26:44 AM »
oh DUH yeah make sure u find out what office she's supposed to get the visa at.  You may not have to fly to NYC!
  I got mine in Los Angeles too!

Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:43:27 AM »
I would really advise against lying to the immigration officer.  They tend to not like that, if they find out somehow.   :-\\\\ 

I'd say have a look at this thread, and follow the advice given by Lola:  http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=24753.0
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

• My Myspace page
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 02:46:37 AM »
He wont be lying. He just isnt giving out uneccesary information. Just say you are visiting :) TRUST ME from someome who has been held by immigration. This will save u so much headache. He is going to vist anyway :-) thats not lying :)

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 03:40:15 AM »
He wont be lying. He just isnt giving out uneccesary information. Just say you are visiting :) TRUST ME from someome who has been held by immigration. This will save u so much headache. He is going to vist anyway :-) thats not lying :)
Others have had different experiences with that.  A lot of people have said they were visiting a friend, and then the IO decided to search the person's bag.  In one case I think they found a diary.  With stuff about her relationship.  That tends to make them a bit irate, because the person has withheld information.  They didn't disclose all of their intentions, and that is lying...

I really don't think he shouldn't have problems if he has the documentation listed in the other thread I linked.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 05:08:36 PM »
Hmmm not sure what to do now, question

Is it legal to enter the USA under the visa waver program, get married to a US citizen and then leave under the 90 days?

I think the answer to that question will determine what I say to the IO.

Thanks for the help so far

Steve

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 05:12:50 PM »
no it's not illegal jmaster.

my husband did it

he told the IO that he was there to marry his wife and take her back to the UK.  he asked dave about me getting a visa (he told him about my appointment at the consulate on 9th september) he wished him luck (he even double checked and asked dave if he was sure he wanted the IO to let him through-cheeky moo!) and off he came.  we got married 8/28.  Honeymooned for 10 days, he went back to the UK and i followed a few days later

we told the truth every time we traveled (which was every 4-6 weeks) and i never had issues.  honesty worked for me every time.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 05:15:58 PM »
The answer to your question is here:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/spouse.html

As far as what to say to the IO, I'd always vote for honesty and have documents to back it up (appointment for pittpanther's visa, deeds, leases, work details -- anything to show you have permanent ties to the UK).
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 05:18:41 PM »
no it's not illegal jmaster.

my husband did it

he told the IO that he was there to marry his wife and take her back to the UK.  he asked dave about me getting a visa (he told him about my appointment at the consulate on 9th september) he wished him luck (he even double checked and asked dave if he was sure he wanted the IO to let him through-cheeky moo!) and off he came.  we got married 8/28.  Honeymooned for 10 days, he went back to the UK and i followed a few days later

we told the truth every time we traveled (which was every 4-6 weeks) and i never had issues.  honesty worked for me every time.

Thanks - makes me feel a lot better :)

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 05:25:53 PM »
but cait is right, having proof and back up helps!!!!!!  dave had a copy of our lease and a letter from his employer too

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab