Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Green Card Holders  (Read 566 times)

• Liked: 0
Green Card Holders
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:23:02 PM »
Just a few more questions:

1.) What are the chances that a US greencard holder be granted a spousal visa.
2.) Take for granted that the greencard holder was given a spousal visa... can she apply for US naturalization thru the US Embassy in London? I know this sounds like a dumb question but i just want to know if that is possible.

Thanks.

Re: Green Card Holders
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 01:42:42 AM »
1) My understanding is that the spousal visa would be solely based on the validity of her relationship with her sponsor and their ability to prove that they will not need public funds. 

2) The green card is only valid for 12 months once you leave the country.  I think you can get an extension if you pay more and file some additional paperwork (and your request is approved).  The residency --> citizenship path in the US is based on residency, so I don't think it would be possible to get your citizenship if you had been granted a settlement visa for another country. 

But maybe someone more knowledgable will have some firm answers for you.

Re: Green Card Holders
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 03:51:37 AM »
(background- I was a US green card holder for 13 years and naturalized last November.)

1. The same chances as anyone else, really, as long as you meet the criteria.

2. In short, no, because you have to meet a physical presence requirement in the US to be eligible for naturalization (as well as still maintaining the US as your permanent home.)  There is a provision for maintaining your permanent residency for naturalization purposes while living abroad, but that usually only applies in the case of a job transfer of a permanent resident by an American company, or for military personnel.

Green cards can be valid for up to two years after leaving the country (one year without a re-entry permit, two years with a permit.)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab