Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Starbucks in France!!!  (Read 608 times)

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
Starbucks in France!!!
« on: January 15, 2004, 01:22:57 PM »
I got a chuckle out of this and actually couldn't believe it they made their way over there.  I think it's pretty sad though.  Kinda takes out the old charm of some Europoean cities.  When I was in Cannes for our honeymoon I liked the idea that there were no Starbucks around.  Even when I went back to Rome to visit my college, there were no Starbucks to be find in Rome... My god that would be sacri-religious to the Italians :o

PARIS -- Starbucks has finally arrived in the country that likes to think it invented the cafe, and some business insiders say they know why it took so long to get here.

ftp://http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/printer/ap.asp?category=1310&slug=France%20Starbucks
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• Liked: 1
Re: Starbucks in France!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 04:53:39 PM »
I saw the report on the news this am as well.  

Can't say I am thrilled about Starbucks being in France any more than I am seeing McDonald's every where either.  

Starbucks will have to make one heck of a cup of coffee to compete with local bars and local baristas in France.  

To me I prefer the little bars, little neighboorhood stores and being a person rather than a number, but I grew up with them so I guess that's why.    (Though Walmart is good for convience!)

I miss going in to the local bar and having my "cortado (expresso just cut with warmed milk)" before heading off to work.  It's more than a caffine fix...it's a chance to grab a few moments of humanity. :)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 04:54:43 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 05:09:54 PM »

My question is why?I wouldnt think that there was that a large population of Americans living in France?Maybe for the tourists,but then again when you usually go on holiday its to see the unique things of THAT  country.Its a bit disappointing to me as well. :(

I like Starbucks but a little goes a long way,just as Pam said like Mcdonalds on every street corner.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 06:07:08 AM »
I saw this in Time magazine. I agree that France should have been the last bastion. The nerve! However, the article did say that it was extremely well received by the French and only one person inerviewed commented that it was the end of civilization...and she was an American. LOL!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 02:38:08 PM »
"only one person inerviewed commented that it was the end of civilization...and she was an American. LOL! "

That just blows my mind you know :o I have always heard the French could be a bit snobby when it came to us Yanks.Hmmm makes you think eh! :D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab