Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Am I worrying for no reason?  (Read 750 times)

• Kat
  • I don't have to like Bush to love my country

• Liked: 0
Am I worrying for no reason?
« on: June 24, 2006, 02:11:45 AM »
I will be applying for my Civil Partnership Visa soon and I am a bit worried.  I will be listing my daughter on my application.  Her father is not listed on her birth certificate and has had nothing to do with her since she was 2 months old.  Are the people that look over my application going to be questioning me a lot about her father?  Is it going to be a problem?
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning" Catherine Aird

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: Am I worrying for no reason?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 04:50:15 AM »
I will be applying for my Civil Partnership Visa soon and I am a bit worried.  I will be listing my daughter on my application.  Her father is not listed on her birth certificate and has had nothing to do with her since she was 2 months old.  Are the people that look over my application going to be questioning me a lot about her father?  Is it going to be a problem?

Are you getting an "intent to register a civil partnership" visa or do you already have a registered relationship that is considered a civil partnership in the UK (married in Canada, Massachusettes, Amsterdam or Spain or registered in Vermont)?  I am assuming you are intending to register a civil partnership.  I have my entry clearence visa for that.  The only "wierd" thing right now is that the entry clearence visas and I am assuming the computer system don't have that sort of visa in them yet, so my visa actually says "To Join Partner" and I have a seperate letter that indicates that I am attempting to register a civil partnership.  The process is really straight forward, just as straight forward as a fiancee visa, at least that was my experience.  I know there was another couple on this board who got treated not as well in the NY office, but it is hard to say.  So far my experience has been 100% easy.

If her father is not listed on the birth certificate, you should be fine I would think.  If he was, you would probablly have to find a way to demonstrate that he does not have any parental rights through a court order or something like that.  Worst case, I suspect they might want and interview or ask you for more proof, but I hope that is unlikely.

Are you going to apply in person or do it all through the mail?
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Kat
  • I don't have to like Bush to love my country

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 06:14:52 AM »
It's to register.  We had thought about going up to Mass and registering, but Sam was advised not to by a immigration official over there.  Also, I don't know, I kind of have this thing with it only being recoginized in two states.  It irks me.

Thanks for sharing with me.  I read a lot of the fiancee application posts and have wondered what is like for the cp visa.  It takes a load off my mind.    Good luck to you.  When do you leave?
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning" Catherine Aird

• My blog!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 04:01:57 PM »
It's to register.  We had thought about going up to Mass and registering, but Sam was advised not to by a immigration official over there.  Also, I don't know, I kind of have this thing with it only being recoginized in two states.  It irks me.

Thanks for sharing with me.  I read a lot of the fiancee application posts and have wondered what is like for the cp visa.  It takes a load off my mind.    Good luck to you.  When do you leave?

Yeah, unless you are a resident of Mass there is no good reason and it might complicate things.  In the UK it is VERY striaght forward.  Registration and getting a civil marriage are almost exactly the same.  It is really nice to know that at least legally you are on the same footing as "normal" couples.

Well, I am finishing up work here and getting things packed up and ready to go.  I hope to register in September.  It seems like a ways off still but, I didn't realize selling a house and moving was going to be so stressful and take so long.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
My Blog

• Banned

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 12:47:12 AM »
You will almost certainly be asked about the father, and should be prepared to answer questions.  If you can get in touch with him, get a consent order.  If not, apply to the court for a custody order in his absence.  It may well be very difficult to move your child overseas without this.

Vicky

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 11:47:18 AM »
But if there is no father listed on the birth certificate, then he would be unknown - I'm sure there are others who have gone through this. Isn't there a way of applying for a single mother?
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

• Banned

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 11:52:25 AM »
The fact is that, even though he is not listed, there is still a bilogical father, and to move a child overseas without either his consent or without evidence that his consent is not required would be in breach of a whole host of international treaties.

Imagine the situation if the mother had decided not to put the father's name on the certificate but he did have a part in the childs life...it would obviously be wrong for the mother to take the child abroad without his permission.

If the mother is single, then she needs to prove it, which means a court order giving custody.  This shouldn't be too tricky to get, but a family lawyer must be consulted.

Vicky

• My blog!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 09:44:04 PM »
Imagine the situation if the mother had decided not to put the father's name on the certificate but he did have a part in the childs life...it would obviously be wrong for the mother to take the child abroad without his permission.

What if the father was simply a sperm donor?  I am not saying that this is this case, but how do people handle that situation where the genetic father was never part of the picture, intentionally?
Transpondia
My Blog

• Banned

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 12:58:26 AM »
I was thinking about this, and I would imagine that there would be documentary evidence that a woman had been impregnated by artificial insemination.  Also, a sperm donor signs a waiver to all his rights, so that would be accepted as well.

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab