Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Already in the UK. Confused!!!  (Read 830 times)

• Myspace
  • Liked: 0
Already in the UK. Confused!!!
« on: July 18, 2006, 11:45:30 AM »
???

Why does all this visa stuff have to be so difficult! Anyways so I'm already in Colchester, with a UK visitor visa. Is there ANY way to switch it over to a different visa? I know I can apply for an extension, but I would really like to work here. I know I need a NIN, but do I need a work permit to get one. Also what would be the ways I could stay here permentally. I don't think there are any since I'm already in the UK. If there is I would really like to know! Thanks for the help.

"If you knew my story word for word, had all my history, would you go along with someone like me..."
¬Peter Bjorn

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
Re: Already in the UK. Confused!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 11:50:06 AM »
You cannot change status of any sort from a visitor visa.  All visas need to be issued from the consulate in your home country.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 11:54:33 AM »
you cannot get a NIN until you are able to prove you are eligible to work or have some form of settlement visa, or which a tourist visa is neither.

you will have to go back to the US once your visa time is finished.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 01:50:17 PM »
You won't be able to extend the visit visa either, unless there is a really good reason, ie you are too ill to fly.

Vicky

• Myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 02:00:28 PM »
How long do I have to stay in America before I'm able to come back to the UK?

"If you knew my story word for word, had all my history, would you go along with someone like me..."
¬Peter Bjorn

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 02:03:14 PM »
That depends....I stayed on a visitors visa for a full 6 months and then tried to come back for a long weekend visit about 4 months after I left and I was held at immigration with the threat of being denied entry.   I think the rule can be interpreted as 6 months within one calendar year - at least that was the line I got from the immigration officer I got that time.

Why don't you check out Lola's great new post
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=26641.0
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 03:21:18 PM by karin »

• My blog!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 10:47:32 PM »
It also depends on how you are coming back.

What is your long term strategy for staying in the UK?  It can't be "just because".  If you have a valid visa you can apply for (fiancee) the turn around time is very quick.  If you are going to come right back on a visitors visa, the IO that is going to meet you is going to get very suspicious how you can just live in the UK without working for > 6 months and will likely refuse you entry.

Read the post at the top about what sort of visas are available.  There are no "loopholes" or special considerations for those that "really really really" want to live in the UK.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Myspace
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 09:53:44 AM »
Well I am living with my boyfriend, but I'm not going to get married to him yet. I am only 21. My main concern was the whole visitor to student switch on your visa. I'm trying to get into school here, but I heard that you cant change your visa from visitor to student at all. Then I called the school I'm trying to go to, and the women there said I CAN switch it "in country" but it has to be for a degree level course. Im not sure what that means, but if I dont get into to a degree level course I have to apply for the school I want and then return to America and apply in my country. So thats why I was wondering how long it had to be that I would have to stay in america.

¬Peter Bjorn

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 10:05:59 AM »
You can't change from a student to a visitor visa "in-country".  You will have to apply for and receive the visa in the US.

A student visa definitely seems to be the way to go for you; but be forewarned, it is NOT cheap!

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 10:20:33 AM »
Yep, Gwen's right.  You used to be able to do this - some of us got married on tourist visas and switched to FLR whilst in country - but that was years ago.  I think it changed in 2003.  At any rate, it's definitely changed and you'll have to go back to the US and apply for a student visa from there.  You can do it in person same day at a British Embassy, but it's not cheap.

I would also think long and hard about studying here to live with a boyfriend w/whom your future is uncertain.  Fair play if it was always your dream to study here, but it is a very, very costly - for you, at any rate - way to test out a relationship b/c of international student fees. 

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 10:39:39 AM »
Actually, the change only came about in April, which is probably why the student office didn't know about it. Until then, it was possible for a non-visa national in the UK as a visitor to switch to a student visa if the course was degree level of above.

Vicky

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 10:44:10 AM »
Actually, the change only came about in April, which is probably why the student office didn't know about it. Until then, it was possible for a non-visa national in the UK as a visitor to switch to a student visa if the course was degree level of above.

Vicky

Ah!  I knew it had changed, but not when b/c it never applied to me or anyone I knew.  The marriage thingy changed before that, though, IIRC. 

I did marry on a tourist visa and change over to what was called FLR(M) by post whilst staying in the UK, but that was back in 2002.

Sponsored Links