Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How long must I wait to get hitched?  (Read 469 times)

• Liked: 0
How long must I wait to get hitched?
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:53:00 PM »
Hello all,
I am currently in the UK on a limited work visa.  I am returning to the states to apply for a fiancee visa in mid-August and then would like to get married when I come back so that I can begin work ASAP. My question is this, I realize that there is a short wait of 7+ 15 days to get married, but could I circumvent that because I already live in the country currently?  Would it be possible to apply for my wedding, go home to get my fiancee visa and then come back and get married without the wait?  Any insight is appreciated.  My work visa expires at the end of August and I would like to get to work as quick as I can.

Much thanks, very good information on this site about very complicated issues.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: How long must I wait to get hitched?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:55:01 PM »
No, you still have to wait because you won't have a COA.  The registry office will ask for your fiancee visa. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: How long must I wait to get hitched?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 10:38:37 PM »
The answer is, it depends.  Scotland and Northern Ireland are different and Ilse of Man even more so.  There is an exception to all the rules if you are getting married in the Church of England.

England and Wales are pretty straight forward, you have to reside in the area serviced by your registrar for 7 days prior to giving notice.  You have to give notice at that point, and there does seem to be some variation in the number of days (but not for Civil Partnerships).  Basically this would apply to anyone getting married: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/marriages/acivilmarriage/marriagec2a3.asp

You can of course "do business" during this time of entry, but you cannot "work".  Meaning if there are business meeting and the like you can attend, then you can do that during the period.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

Sponsored Links