Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pepe (When a pet far away dies...)  (Read 1108 times)

Pepe (When a pet far away dies...)
« on: January 20, 2004, 10:25:08 PM »
o feel for you and your sick pet.  If you've ever read any of my online journal, (this entry in particular - http://www15.brinkster.com/wishstar/july02/laacie.html) you will know that I too had a sick pet once.  I unfortunately lost her the very first year I was here.  But if you think it's hard to have a sick pet now, imagine getting the call in the middle of the night from your sister in absolute hysterics because she's had to rush your beloved pet to the vet and is now having to decide if she should be put to sleep because she's so sick.  Imagine having to hang up the phone and know that your baby is 3000 miles away, dying in someone else's arms and you're never going to be able to say goodbye.  And then imagine having to wake up the next morning in a very strange place where *everything* in your life is upside down and unfamiliar.  Just imagine how hard that was.

I think you really got to the heart of the matter. You said exactly what I fear. You see I am in a dorm at the University of Minnesota--my pepe (the poodle) lives with my family in Milwaukee. Pardon the part about being in a foreign country I am going through almost the same experience.

We believe he may be terminally ill. Some sort of stomach infection has over taken him in the last year and a half. What used to be a 35 pound dog has turned into an 18 pound one. We have visted numerous vets and done numerous tests---they think it might be cancer. He is literally wasting away, not much more than a mass of curls.

He has been with our family since puppyhood for a decade, and weither others might think so or not he is a family member. It puts us all through emotional hell to see him dying like this..and I am so scared he will die when I am in Minneapolis not Milwaukee and I really won't get to say goodbye. I love my pepe, his being dog and not a human being  has no measure/makes no difference.

That post was from October.

It happened. My mom called me from Milwaukee (I just moved back to Minneapolis to start second semester 2 days ago!) and said that my sweet "fuzzpants" would be euthanised this afternoon.

About two weeks ago while I was still on break at home his condition rapidly got worse. He lost all his hair, his gums and eyeballs became completely white and the tests came back that he had an intenstinal disease--the vet also thought bone cancer.

Towards the end he was so skinny and weak he could climb anywhere or walk much, he would go outside and colapse into a snowbank. Our other, much fatter and vivacious beagle-hound started whimpering all the time and barking when Pepe would colapse. He now has lost control of all his functions.

I called my Mom and she is sobbing, my brother is making a little grave marker--even my Father who outright abandoned the a family in November has come back to spend more time and be there with Pepe in his last seconds.

This hurts because I can't be with him, I cannot hug or be with him.

It's the first day of school and I still have to go to Hindi tonight, but there is solace in the fact that Pepe no longer has to suffer.

If someone can tell me how to do this, maybe I can upload a picture of him from when he he was healthy.

peace,

Samantha***

Re: Pepe (When a pet far away dies...)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 12:35:19 AM »
So sorry for your loss.  Losing a pet is always hard, and worse if you can't be there.
:-*  

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 03:36:35 PM »
My mother came over last year for my wedding.  She was here 10 days.  She left the two cats that belonged to my kids at home with a pet-sitter coming in to take care of them.  One of them is diabetic and needs insulin shots 2x a day.

She got home and both cats seemed not quite themselves.  The diabetic one was okay after a few days, but the other one never got better.  Within 2 weeks, he had passed away.  Suddenly, not much reason for it, and completely unexpectedly.

So - guilt all around.  My mother's guilt for leaving them in the first place (for the first time, of course) and mine for leaving them when we moved.  (If we'd brought them when we moved - before the pet passport scheme - they would have just come out of quarrantine at that point.)

It sucks.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 07:16:27 PM »
 Bless you Samantha,I feel so bad for you.I know how I would feel if I lost my Baby(that is his name) total heartbreak.I know its that much worse on you because you couldnt be there either.Just try and  be strong and know that you was there for him in your heart.Sometimes we cant understand why things happen the way that they do,just that we will get through it with time,love and patience.

If you would like to post a pic of him in our photo album you might want to contact Trish or Leah about it.I think that you can post directly from a message now also,but not sure how.I know someone will be able to help you.

I found this link for you too.I hope it helps you
 http://www.pet-loss.net/memorial.html

Iam sorry for you and your Mom as well, Peedal.Guilt can really be  hard I know.I hope that your Mom can not feel  better about  it soon.Bless you both.
(((Hugs)))
    Rhia

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 03:35:09 AM »
Dear Samantha,

I sympathize with you so much.  Pets share our lives, and love us and trust us and give us such joy.  But they are with us for such a little time - it seems as if they are only on a short-term loan from God.

Khuda hafiz,

Howard.
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 12:39:30 AM »
I want to say THANK YOUto everyone for their wonderful, comforting responses.

Peedal, I am very sorry about your cat :-[

Because, I am back for second semester I am staying very busy these days--but cetainly during those off times (especially walking home from Hindi at night!) the sadness creeps up on you.

But I'm also starting to remember the good times when he was healthy and his puppyhood :)

I sent my Mom a great picture of him as a big curly guy w/ my Grandfather taken back in 2000 and I think it will bring her a lot of joy.

Thank you everyone![smiley=sunny.gif]

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab