Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Changing name - please advise!  (Read 1045 times)

• Liked: 0
Changing name - please advise!
« on: January 22, 2004, 06:59:30 PM »
I'm bewildered, someone here must know how to do this...

I'll soon be marrying my lovely British fiance, and living here in London, at least for a few more years.  I've finally caved and agreed to take his name.

How on earth do I do that legally?  I guess I should change my US passport, but in order to do that, they want you to mail it into them - can I do that from here?  Anyone do this?  How is it done?

And do I need to change the name that the UK INS has?  How do I change it here in the UK?  Do I need to?

Thanks...!
Charlotte

Re: Changing name - please advise!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 07:08:28 PM »
Hi Charlotte and Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!! How exciting!  [smiley=heart.gif]

I changed my name after my marriage this past summer- I was in London as well and basically just took my passport and  marriage certificate to the American Embassy in London, filled out a form to change my name and they did it right there! This is the website, if you want more info

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/acs/passports/namechange.htm

I also took the opportunity the same day to go to the Social Security Office in the Embassy and change the name on my card- they also put in a order for a new card at the same time! If I remember correctly, you need your old card and your birth certificate....but I might be mistaken. The Embassy website should say!

They basically just ammend your passport on a back page saying tHat (ooops) your name has been changed to- you don't get a new passport unless it's nearly time to get one anyway! I honestly don't know the answer to your question about the INS...I'd be interested to know that myself!

Hope this was helpful!

Jen
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 10:20:14 PM by jennydee »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 07:12:02 PM »
oooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooohhhhhhhh.  So THATS how it's done.  Thanks!  
I was BUSY working myself into a frenzy of "AHHHH BEAURAUCRACY WHY DO THEY JUST ASSUME EVERYONE LIVES IN THEIR HOMETOWN RAH RAH RAH"

Cheers!
C

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 10:55:18 AM »
Don't worry about INS (I presume you mean the Home Office in the UK?).  Once you're married and you apply for your FLR, do it in your married name.  Then you just do what Jenny says about amending your passport and getting your SS card changed.  It's frighteningly easy, really!

And a copy of your amended passport and your marriage certificate are usually enough to change anything back in the U.S. - I mailed copies to my credit card and they changed my account and sent me a card in my married name.  Took them in personally (whilst visiting) to my bank and had my US account changed - they sent me a new ATM card with my married name.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 11:11:28 AM »
Oops! I applied for my Spousal Visa in my maiden name since I hadn't had enough time to change it before I went back to the US! My name has been changed with the NHS and National Insurance....Do you think I should contact them?

Jen
(who really thought she was on top of things hehe)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 11:46:20 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it, Jenny.  The letter they gave me at the Home Office when I applied for FLR is addressed to me as "Mrs Maiden Name."  But the guy was having enough trouble running the damn thing off, I just couldn't be bothered to correct him... ::)

I think by the time (we both) apply for ILR, there will be enough evidence we use the married names there won't be a problem!

(PS - I'll PM you back soon - sorry I haven't answered you yet.  I'm terribly ashamed!)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 10:05:16 AM »
Thanks for the info, peedal!
(and no worries about the PM-  I promise not to take it personally!hehe )

Take good care!
Jen
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 10:06:19 AM by jennydee »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab