Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Random Thoughts on US Comfort Food  (Read 1663 times)

Random Thoughts on US Comfort Food
« on: September 28, 2002, 11:44:53 AM »
Hi everyone, back online after three weeks off to move and get my internet connection going again.  My husband and I had to find a location in between Manchester and Liverpool, since the commute from Manchester to Liverpool was taking him forever on the train. So we're now happily settled in, found a great place in Cheshire county to rent.  My commute via car is about 40 minutes, and his commute on the train is now 40 minutes vs. the hour and 1/2 it was taking... anyway, I'm rambling.  Back to what I was going to bring up. Dozey me.
If anyone is in need of pancake mix (real pancakes not 'crepe' style 'pancakes' as they call them here) I saw an article in the Sunday Telegraph magazine in early September that listed where you can find American products here.  You can buy Bisquick mix for £1.99 at Selfridges in Manchester and London.  Maple syrup is much harder to find, and it gave a number to call and order it- 0207 7373 3777 (somewhere in London). I've not seen it anywhere at all here.  Lucky Charms cereal can be found for £6.95 a box (no kidding) at Partridge's in London, where it seems you can order all kinds of American goodies via their mail order (0207 730 7102).  Dill pickles (gerkins here) don't seem to taste like back in the US, but Safeway's own brand here seems close. Peanut butter seems like it's not eaten much in the UK at all.  My husband gives me strange side-long glances when I speak about eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  My sister just sent me a care package of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups from Oregon, my husband thinks they are atrocious.  Is peanut butter an American thing?
Also, people here seem to think that Americans eat tons of squeezy cheese in a tube!  Personally, I've seen loads more here than I ever saw in the US, and I don't think I knew anyone there who ate it much ;D  Also, I'm missing good Mexican and  Southwestern food.  Anyone know of some good restaurants in Liverpool or Manchester for that?

Re: Random Thoughts on US Comfort Food
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2002, 12:33:42 PM »
Hi native!  Welcome back.  Glad to hear things are going better for you on the commuting side of life.  Traveling can sure get to you, can't it?

Just wanted to say that there are a few of the things you listed available most everywhere.  

Bisquick is in most Tescos, for example.  If they don't have it, ask for it.  It is sold here in the UK.  I even found it at my local corner shop once!

Mapel Syrup in it's true form is a bit difficult and expensive if you do find it.  However, I've seen it in Tescos more often than not.  There is a SilverSpoon product called Treat! which is for ice cream, but it is maple syrup and pretty cheap too!  Look for it in the ice cream and sundries isle.

Peanut butter isn't as 'standard' here, but most people do eat it now and then.  Here in London, you can order peanut butter toast from the sandwhich shops in the morning.  Yum!  And there is occasionally skippy peanut butter in Sainsburys.

As for Mexican and Southwest food, I'm afraid you will probably be out of luck unless you can cook it yourself.  I've been to several 'mexican' places here in London and they don't even begin to satisfy my cravings for such things. And if you can't find it in London, I wouldn't have much hope for Liverpoole!  Love to hear about it if you prove me wrong tho!

Anyway, welcome back!  Glad to see you again!

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2002, 09:55:22 AM »
Hooray, good news about the Bisquick for pancakes, I guess I've not seen it in Tescos or anywhere yet (I might be looking in the wrong sections).  I've found the forum topic 'Comments about grocery stores' really funny, because in our local Tesco's you definately find strange things next to each other.  Maybe I should look for the Bisquick next to the washing up liquid... Anyway, thanks for the info :D

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2002, 10:12:54 AM »
Is peanut butter an American thing?
Also, people here seem to think that Americans eat tons of squeezy cheese in a tube!  
------------------------------

actually it must be but hubby is suprised cuz i think most americans love cininomon i do! hubby said the first thing he noticed going into the stateside supermarkets is the smell of cininomon oh and how even some ketups have ciniomon in them so thats another favorite i love ciniomon mmm :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2002, 10:14:25 AM by swirlsweet »

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2002, 11:39:37 AM »
Hooray, good news about the Bisquick for pancakes, I guess I've not seen it in Tescos or anywhere yet (I might be looking in the wrong sections).  

Look between the flour and the cake mix.
:)

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2002, 12:04:03 PM »
Also, you can sometimes find Reeses cups in the candy aisle at Woolworths.  :)  

I'm afraid to say that the whole Dill pickle thing has passed me by-I never noticed that they were different here.  But I did have some Safeways pickled gherkins the other night that tasted exactly like the 'bread and butter' pickles that my Gramma used to make. :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab