Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Howdy everyone  (Read 2234 times)

• Liked: 0
Howdy everyone
« on: October 04, 2002, 10:40:06 PM »
 My name is Chris and I'm still in Texas but planning to move in November-December,as soon as all the paperwork is taken care of.I have been reading this for a while and it's been very helpful,I am glad that this is here for me to use.I will be living in or near Aldershot-in Hampshire county,so if anyone is in that area and has some more local information feel free-I've never been there and though I'll have a local to show me around I would appreciate an American perspective. [smiley=cowboy.gif]

p.s. are there any men on here?I've read quite a lot on here and don't remember seeing any!!
Moving to England soon-learning as much as possible now

Re: Howdy everyone
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2002, 12:34:15 AM »
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.  I'm in Guildford, Surrey which is very near Aldershot, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer.   :)  

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2002, 09:06:41 AM »
Hi Chris...welcome to the forum :) Where in Texas are you? I'm in Houston.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2002, 11:02:05 AM »
Hiya, and welcome! There are quite a few men on here actually, lots of them post in the Spouse House but there still around I promise, and several newbies as well. So what brings you over to England then?
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2002, 11:46:01 AM »
-Can't believe I failed to mention it in my introduction!I'm marrying an English girl.We planned to live in the states permanently but now it seems she is hoping that I will want to stay in England,I can't say-not having been there yet.

-I live in a suburb of Dallas

-How urban is Aldershot?I'm a city boy and not fond of the country.I see by looking on the map that it isn't very far from London,but that doesn't mean much to me right now.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2002, 12:15:29 PM »
Hmmm.  Well, I'm from the country and I would say it was fairly urban.  OK, urban-suburbia.  How much do you know about Aldershot?  It was a big military town, but now most of the military has left.  So, it is fairly run-down.  Saying that, as house prices continue to soar in nearby Surrey, I think it is having a bit of a renewal.  And it does have a drive-thru BurgerKing. ;)  It's probably an hour to London.   Anyway, I think you'll find that Southeast England has a strange combination of City and Country.  Can't really describe it, but you'll understand once you're here.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2002, 12:16:39 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2002, 01:21:47 AM »
Claire is in the army,and works at the hospital in Surrey.She described Aldershot as a military town and that worried me. When I was in the army here,stationed out in the middle of nowhere,the town by us was horrid!!It sounds like the Brits appreciate their military folks more than Americans do so it might be better than I imagined.I thought I'd do some sightseeing the first week or two while she was at work and though she offered the use of her car I'm afraid to drive in the UK before I get some supervised instruction,so what I'd like to know is if there is public transportation to London? Here in the Dallas area it's east to get a train or bus into the city from the 'burbs but I wasn't sure if Aldershot was close enough to get to London easilywithout a car  ???Thanks!Claire has been helpful but she isn't looking at things from the perspective of someone who's never been there.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2002, 10:57:56 AM »
yup. :)  The train takes less than an hour to get from Aldershot to London Waterloo(right in central London.)  You can buy a one day travel card that'll cover your train, tube and buses while in London.  
One of the biggest shocks is learning to think in UK scale.  Everything is fairly near. Especially in the Southeast.  There is excellent public transportation and the trains are great.   :)

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2002, 07:08:18 PM »
Hello Chris and welcome,

Country girl here through and through...  so can not advise much but I can still welcome you to the forum...

Good luck on your future plans...  I too am awaiting my time to move...  but have been there a few times.

Michele
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2002, 07:45:58 PM »
Welcome, Chris...hope you enjoy living in England...it is a beautiful country.. i live in the Southeast about two hours from London , right near the sea....glad to see you found this site helpful..let me tell you i feel the same..and appreciate all the comments and also the fact that there are others in the same situation....take care
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Hey Suzie!
    • Bryan Cox Animation Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2002, 09:25:45 PM »
Hi.  Congratulations on your marriage and move.  I have to agree with some other posters about the proximity of everything in the Southeast.  I have driven From London to Brighton and Bournemouth and can tell you it's all really close together, esp. by American standards.  And the trains are good, slower than in continental Europe, but still good.  If it helps your sense of scale, I got on a train in Central London at 9 in the morning and was having lunch in Paris that afternoon!
Escape From New York
Visit My Site! [nofollow]

• Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2002, 12:59:07 AM »
hey chris ...i think u def can find some helpful info here to help ya with ur move over.  lots of supportive folks.  dont forget we have live chats on tuesday evenings 8-10pm GMT, come along and join the fun.  

good luck on your move over & keep postin!!
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

Sponsored Links