Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pumpkin pies for Turkey Day/Halloween  (Read 2277 times)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
Pumpkin pies for Turkey Day/Halloween
« on: October 05, 2002, 01:29:49 AM »
I was just at tescos the other day and did not see any frozen pumpkin pies..this is one of my faves and i was wondering if they even sell them over here...my bf had never tried one until he went to the US with me....has anyone had luck with this...or do you need to dig into the pumpkin and make your  own....
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

Re: Pumpkin pies for Turkey Day/Halloween
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2002, 11:44:58 AM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Blondshania, but pumpkin pies do not exist here.  If you live near London, you *might* be able find some Libbys Pumpkin Pie mix at Selfridges or Harrods.

And I think you can order it from some of the American online stores too.

Other than that though, you won't find any mention of such a thing here!  Most Brits, unless they've spent some time in the US, haven't ever tried it, and aren't overly fond of the idea.

Good luck!

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2002, 07:19:28 PM »
How sad....  as I was talking to Tom last night... it has come to my attention that the Thanksgivings I plan to celebrate in England will probably have to be spent without a Turkey also...  I was told they are very uncommon...  but most important...  They would never fit into most UK ovens  :-/

However, Tom and I have recieved a fairy godmother like gift and Tom and I will be spending this Thanksgiving together... ;D here in America...  His first ever...  We have also been invited to a very good friend of mines for a very traditional Thanksgiving so that Tom could see it first hand...  (my step family rents a hall and over 150 people attend with a buffet, not so traditional to me) I will surely make sure he tries pumpkin pie though ...

We have not seen each other since last January...  we could not have been given a better gift from the heart.

Michele
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2002, 07:29:59 PM »
How sad....  as I was talking to Tom last night... it has come to my attention that the Thanksgivings I plan to celebrate in England will probably have to be spent without a Turkey also...  I was told they are very uncommon...  but most important...  They would never fit into most UK ovens  :-/

No, Turkeys are easy to get here.  It's the traditional meal at Christmas.  Frozen turkeys are always around at Thanksgiving, and if your heart is set on a fresh one, you should be able to order one from a butcher or a turkey farm.  I cook an eighteen pounder every year.  There is a little more juggling with my tiny kitchen and my oven's not huge but it's definately do-able.  There's some searching involved but I've had traditional Thanksgivings for the last 12 years.  
:)

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2002, 07:43:17 PM »
How good to hear...  I should have known better to listen to Tom...  LOL, he loves to wind me up as they say there...  but, I do know the size of our oven and it will have to be a small turkey for us for sure...LOL!  Large country kitchen...tiny stoven and oven
depths of our soul!

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2002, 07:52:29 PM »
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe a word men say. ;)  Anyway, have a nice Thanksgiving this year. What a nice treat. :)

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2002, 07:59:09 PM »
LOL, Thank you!, I shall indeed...  more than I could possibly be permitted to say here.

and Nah, my mom never warned me...  and Tom is good at pulling wool over my eyes...  I am embarrassed to say that he convinced me that England was tilting and London would be under water soon while where we live was gaining altitude...  it took me an hour of asking questions in regard to his statement before I remembered that it was April fools day...  and I work at NASA...  LOL
depths of our soul!

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2002, 08:34:06 PM »
.... he convinced me that England was tilting and London would be under water ......

Actually the opposite is true, the white cliffs of Dover are rising out of the sea when once they were below sea level; and there is now land at the foot of them too.  The whole of the UK is tilting, with Scotland going down and southern England rising.  I don't think that it will cause you a problem in your lifetime though.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2002, 08:37:10 PM by Mr_Val »
Richard

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2002, 08:46:32 PM »
Nope, Nope...  not biting this time Mr Val...LOL!  even if it is true...  I get wound up to easy by the british humor...and I am learning...  slowly but surely...  [smiley=bootyshake.gif]
depths of our soul!

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2002, 08:50:31 PM »
Nope, Nope...  not biting this time Mr Val...LOL!  even if it is true...  I get wound up to easy by the british humor...and I am learning...  slowly but surely...  [smiley=bootyshake.gif]

OK have it your way, but I'll be back with sources to quote for you.  :)
Richard

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2002, 03:54:31 PM »
Does anyone live in or near Harrods in London and can you send me a couple of Libby's Pumpkin Pie in a can...i will send you a check for the total....i live in Eastbourne and I got a note from harrods that says the mix is like 2.15 a can...thankx...
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2002, 05:11:22 PM »
Blondshania
Hey, they're selling Libby's at www.skyco.uk.com - I think you have to buy 3 tins at around £4.50 but you'd best do it quick as they're selling out.  It might be a quicker and easier solution than trying to get someone to brave the madness at Harrod's!

Hope this helps.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2002, 05:26:21 PM »
Also, they're selling at Made in America for £3.29 a tin. A bit pricey but one is all you really need for a pie or if Skyco is all sold out.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2002, 12:47:44 PM »
Selfridges on Oxford Street in London has Libby's tinned Pumpkin for £1.85 per can.  They are also selling pumpkin pies for £11.50 each - can you believe it?!?!?!?!

Anyway, I bought my 3 cans and am quite pleased with myself.  Enough to make my pie at Thanksgiving, give a pumpkin cheesecake recipe I have a whirl, and maybe try out Tay's pumpkin cookies recipe as well!  I'm well and truly chuffed!

Oh - also got Marshmallow Fluff for £2.00 for the jar.  Used to use Kraft Marshmallow Creme in the States, but this will do for a fluffernutter when the need arises...!!   ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Maine to London
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2002, 01:42:27 PM »
Fluffernutter sandwiches are the best!  ;D I read your post and just got so excited to see that someone else out there knows what a fluffertter sandwich is!  You made my day! ;D

<<as she shuffles off realising there is no marshmellow fluff or peanut butter in her cupboard . . .  :-/
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

Sponsored Links