Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need help with one thing  (Read 2685 times)

• Liked: 0
Need help with one thing
« on: February 05, 2004, 02:22:31 PM »
Well, I've been in the UK now for 5 days (seems like much longer!)- I started my job, got a bank account, got a flat, and survived driving a hired car (automatic!) for the past few days.

I only have one problem/question though- my flat, which in all other respects is great, only has a bathtub and no shower. I don't mind taking baths, but how do I wash my hair? Do I use a cup like I used to when I would give my dog a bath (that's what I did today!)? Are there any types of attachments I could use? There are two separate faucets for hot and cold so I'm not sure how that would work. I haven't quite figured out the hot water either, which is on a timer- so I only got about 3" of water in the tub before it ran out of hot water. My bathing experience as you might imagine is not very pleasant so if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it- thanks!

• Liked: 2
Re: Need help with one thing
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 03:01:09 PM »
What a welcome to the UK!!
You will probably find you need to heat up the hot water for at least an hour to get enough for a bath. As for the shower ... it is a long time since I encountered this problem (thank goodness!!) but there used to be shower attachments you could buy ... they have suction cups that you stick onto the taps. Try your local Woolworths or Argos or hardware shop. I would also have a word with whoever you are renting from and tell them to get into the 21st century!  

Good luck
Liz

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 06:28:13 PM »
Thanks! I got an attachment at B&Q and it works great! The separate cold and hot taps were enough to throw me at first before figuring out how to wash my hair. That and the fact that the hot water is on a timer and isn't constantly flowing! I'm adjusting though and had a nice warm bath last night  :)

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 11:16:32 PM »
Oh bless you!

When I moved here, I moved into my husbands studio flat, which was great for him but awful for the both of us. The worst thing was the bath. I'd have to boil water in a kettle several times to get a decent bath with warm water! Thank god we moved into our house, it has an incredible boiler that keeps hot water very hot whenever you turn it on.

Your post gave me a chuckle, it reminds me of my first day in England and my hubby teaching me how to run a bath!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 08:50:37 PM »
I'm doomed to a bath too.  :( Which isn't really suitable for long hair but great for a relaxing soak.

I haven't bothered with the attachment for some reason but just have a big-ish plastic water jug to use for my hair. I'm sure I'm making life difficult for myself but I just fill the jug with half hot then half cold and dump it on my head to rinse. Wonder if I should be looking into the hose thing!  ::)

I'll be such a happy girl when we no longer have to rent!  ;D

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 02:08:49 PM »
Thanks! I got an attachment at B&Q and it works great! The separate cold and hot taps were enough to throw me at first before figuring out how to wash my hair. That and the fact that the hot water is on a timer and isn't constantly flowing! I'm adjusting though and had a nice warm bath last night  :)

Hi, only just saw this ... glad you have got a shower (of sorts) now, and glad you are getting used to the antiquated hot water arrangements ... but honestly I'd look for another flat if I were you, not all flats here are like that! Most places will have timers for the heating but most places have electric showers or else combi-boilers which provide instant hot water the minute you turn it on.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 02:16:19 PM »
Thanks, but for £385 a month in this expensive town I will stick to the flat I've got! ;D

Sponsored Links