Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What to buy B4 moving (baby on the way)  (Read 1305 times)

• Liked: 0
What to buy B4 moving (baby on the way)
« on: February 06, 2004, 04:56:06 PM »
We are Americans and may be moving to the UK later this year. We are expecting our first baby in July and I was wondering if anyone would have advice on what baby gear we should or shouldn't buy before moving? Are things more expensive or harder to find in the UK? Anything I should definitely stock up on that's not readily available in the UK?

TIA.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: What to buy B4 moving (baby on the way)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 08:18:32 PM »
BRING CLOTHES!!!!

You can get them here, but they are definitely cheaper in the US I've found. Like almost everything, things are more expensive here. The only thing I can think of, other than clothes, that I wish we'd have nought in the US to save money was our stroller - theres a big price difference there since it's dollars for pounds and it's a relatively big-ticket item.

If I can think of more things I'll say.

And congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 08:26:51 PM »
Um.....I think that UK prams and pushchairs,er I mean strollers are better quality.  They are well made and last through several babies.  I would wait and buy a McClaren when I got here.  Marlespo-you did get a stroller that is suitable from birth, right?  One that lies right back.  Just reasure me on this.  
I'd probably buy a car-seat before I came.  We've had better luck with US car-seats.  Make sure you get one that is approved for flying too.  Can't remember what it is called, but if you do then you can take it on the plane.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 08:27:27 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

• My little cutie
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 09:24:03 PM »
I agree on the clothes thing and US baby clothes are much cuter I think.  One thing I know you cant get here is long sleeve onesies so you might want to stock up on some of them for the fall.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 09:40:51 PM »
Marlespo-you did get a stroller that is suitable from birth, right?  One that lies right back.  Just reasure me on this.  

Consider yourself reassured. We got a Mothercare brand one that's good from birth, lightweight, and unclunky so hopefully it will last a long time. :) I've never really used on in the US so I can't compare the quality, I was just comparing price! :) We're happy with ours though...

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 09:44:59 PM »
OK, thanks.   :)  You know what I'm like.  

• Michael McCarthy
    • usmccarthys
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 03:21:26 AM »
VCWOODIE congrats. good due date we to are due in july also(with our first) and are moving to the UKat the end of this month. This much i do know, with the exchange rate being what it is your money will go much further here in the states. and if your shipping your belongings anyway whats a couple of mor boxes. get what you can here. and youll be much better off. ragards mike p.s. when is the due date
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in the power of your hand to do so.

• Hi there.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 07:51:33 PM »
Such a relief to find you!!!!  Nice to know there are other people going thru moving insanity while pregnant.

I am due with #3 at the end of June.  We are looking at doing our move shortly after that - almost as soon as baby & I can travel.  Moving a complete household, 3 kids (under age 5) and the dog -- should be interesting.

Here has been my experience -- we lived in London for a while when the girls were ages 1 and 2.

Baby Goods -- Most dept stores have a baby area with cribs, strollers and clothing.  Other stores incl -- Mothercare and ToysRUs.  There is also an IKEA there where you can get some kids stuff.

Car Seat -- I believe the UK has different car seat standards to the kids.  We didn't use them b/c we were living in Central London w/o a car -- so there was no need for them.

Stroller -- Buy a high quality, light weight stroller.  I used my Peg Preggo Plinkomatic.  It was fairly light, seat reclines and 2 yo could ride on the back (w/o a buggy board).  You can buy awesome rain shields in the UK for the stroller, which will be VERY helpful!

Bedding -- you might want to consider buying a twin mattress/bed in the US to move if you are planning on coming back.  The bed sizes are different in the UK.  

Baby Monitors -- Buy them in the UK b/c of voltage issues.

Medicine -- Stock up on your US favorite medicines for the little ones.  I know they have them in the UK, but I was very use to the US brands.  (e.g. they don't sell infant tylenol or motrin in the UK --- they sell something comperable)  (most of the cough/cold medicines contained alcohol in the UK -- most US brands no longer contain that).  My #2 daughter has life threatening food allergies -- so I always stock up on Benedryl -- I know they have something similar in the UK, but I feel more comfortable going with what I know.

It seems that everything is a bit expensive in the UK, what costs $1.00 USD costs $1.50 in the UK.  Buy most of your big stuff in the US and have it shipped if the co is picking up the move.

The UK does have a large selection of baby items -- I found almost all the same items in the UK as in the US.

Hope this has helped...

Michelle
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 07:58:32 PM by henrygirls »

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 08:23:33 PM »
Thanks everyone, it's been really helpful! We are now in a state of  ??? as to when and if we are moving. So it looks like we might end up here (in the US) for a while after the baby is born anyway, so I guess we'll need to get everything here. But the move could still happen so who knows.

We're due July 7. Gender will be a surprise!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 11:39:57 AM »
Hey henrysgirl - - welcome to the forum! :D If you let me know your due date I can stick you up on the Roll Call... and stop by the Welcome Wagon board as well to introduce yourself! :) COngrats on your pregnancy and move!

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 08:19:30 PM »
this may /may not apply as it sounds like you may/may not move before baby arrives
but for what its worth-

If I had it to do over I would use an infant carrier for my newborn to get around and just wait  buying a stroller til babes older.  so i would recommend buying a Baby Bjorn carrier in the US and then buying a Maclaren stoller once settled in the UK

- My babes now 10 months and we just got a Maclaren triumph(3mos & up) wow i LOVE this stoller- lightweight, turns on a dime, folds easily!!  we are completley public transport people in London so its really wonderful.
before that I had a huge/heavy Graco- just so awkard!
so I didnt use Graco except for carting home shopping and  basically I've carried baby in baby bjorn esp when she was under 6 months (I brought it over from US- atleast 50 pounds here in London) Bbay bjorn its just so handy and easy- and babies all snuggled up close- nice!!!

mummy friends have said baby slings are great too- HUggababy is a popular brand- but I never really found mine as comfortable as Baby Bjorn.

mary
and sorry your in such an uncertain position about moving- I know it can be stressful- we are in that same place over here- may stay in UK another year- may be back in US this summer- crazy!
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?
Nothing.  I just wanted to be sure of you.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab