Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Landing Beaches of WWII - Normandy  (Read 2238 times)

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
Landing Beaches of WWII - Normandy
« on: October 08, 2002, 02:42:10 PM »
Glen and I just got back from a weekend jaunt from Normandy.  Absolutely spectular.  

The wealth of history is amazing.  We did not spend enough time as it was only to get our "feet wet".  But I chose to see the main points of interest.  Omaha Beach (known as bloody Omaha, the landing site of American forces), Point du Hoc (225 U.S. Army Rangers scaled the bluffs on the morning on June 6, 44 under Col Rudder.  Considered one of the most daring raids of all time), The Battery at Longues-sur-Mer (the only one that has it's original guns and known as the Atlantic Wall), the artificial Harbour at Arromanches (built by the Royal Engineers)  and the VERY POIGNANT - the American Cemetery.  Truly emotional and breath-taking.  

We stayed at a hotel directly located on one of the landing beaches from WWII.  Gold Beach in Arromanches.  It's one trip as an American you should definitely not miss out on.  It was quite emotional for my Dad being he was in the Navy and broke down at one point at the American Cemetery.

Here are a couple of sites if anyone is interested.

Le Memorial Caen Musee - http://www.memorial-caen.fr/  This is where we did the one-day tour.  If you cannot stay there long enough to soak in all the info.  I really suggest this tour.  The museum itself takes about 4-5 hours to tour (not including the off-site tour).  

http://www.ww2tours.com/highlts.htm  This is a tour site that is owned and operated by Americans, Ray and Cristy Pheiffer.  I actually e-mailed them telling them the limited time I would be there and can they suggest a one-day tour.  Hence, that's how I found out about the Caen Museum.  You can sign up for tours with a specific twist - from an American point of view.  This is one that I definitely want to do in the future.

http://www.arromanches360.com/htm2/index.htm  It's a short film with no comentary.  Just pictures.  Pictures are worth a thousand words...  Quite remarkable.  This is located in Arromanches, Gold Beach.

http://www.normandy-tourism.org/  This is a great site to find out about the history, sites, D-day sites, where to stay.  It has interactive maps to help you plan your itinerary.  I used this to find our hotel because I wanted to stay as close to the landing beaches as possible and found one right on Gold Beach.  It was not very fancy but it was clean and quaint with an ocean view to boot.  The restaurant was horrible and I would not suggest eating there.  Food was ok but service was non-existent.  If you did not speak French it was very hard.  But thanks to my honey that was covered.  The next night we ate at a restaurant right around the corner from our hotel.  WOW!!!  Food was superb for half the price....

The best way to get there is the eurotunnel.  Put your car on a train and viola you're in France.  It's about a 3-hour drive from London (depending upon where you are of course) and I forget about the one-hour time difference so we lost an hour.  But all-in-all it was one helluva memorable weekend trip.

We didn't even get to see Mont St. Michel (which is considered one of the 7 nature wonders of the world) or Sainte-Mère-Eglise (the First French town to be liberated by the American troops parachuted into the area on 5 June 1944.)  Don't forget about the famous Bayeux tapestry masterpiece - we didn't even touch that.  I would suggest a minimum of 5 to 7 days if you want to experience and appreciate the beauty and wealth of history Normandy has to offer.

Cheers...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2002, 07:29:12 PM by NYState_of_Mind »
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

Re: Landing Beaches of WWII - Normandy
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 10:04:19 PM »
Another amazing place in Normandy is Dieppe.  This was the scene of an earlier unsuccessful invasion by Canadian forces.  It's very interesting and moving.  The Normandy beaches are an incredible experience and anyone who has the opportunity should really go there.  

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2002, 12:50:38 PM »
sounds great yvonne ....ill def have to put it on the list of things to do with my parents, when they come over.  my dad is ex-military also...so im sure he would appreciate it as well.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

• En Vino Veritas
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 12:56:17 PM »
sounds great yvonne ....ill def have to put it on the list of things to do with my parents, when they come over.  my dad is ex-military also...so im sure he would appreciate it as well.  

Crikey Pam you're scary. I had the same thought when I read this ..'Now there's a place to take my Dad this summer ! [smiley=laugh4.gif]'
However, since your father is normally armed with a shotgun, I'll try to make sure we go at seperate times  ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Red
You're a daisy if you do........

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2002, 01:08:11 AM »
Yvonne,

How cool you saw the American cemetery. When my husband and I went to Paris, we booked a day coach trip to see Mont St. Michel. It was five hours from Paris, but we got a great view of the French countryside, etc. The coach company had dinner set up at the American museum in Normandy before we went back to Paris, so all I managed to pick up were postcards of the cemetery.

I did pick up a lot of postcards from Mont St. Michel, though. (It's absolutely beautiful. Not just the monastery itself, but the little town carved in a spiral on the way up to it.) I've given a lot of the postcards away, but I'd be happy to send you some, if you'd like. Let me know.

Suzanne

P.S. If you're ever in D.C., check out Arlington National Cemetery. Talk about awe and respect...

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2002, 05:28:58 AM »
Yes, that's one of the reason why I would like to go back -- to see Mont St. Michel..  The other place that I am extremely ashamed to admit I've never been to being the patriot I am is  our nation's capital...along with Arlington... I've never been and will have to make a special trip one day..
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

Sponsored Links