Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello!!!  (Read 1827 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello!!!
« on: October 11, 2002, 04:43:37 PM »
I'm so happy I found this site!
I am currently still living in the US, and making plans to visit England next fall.
I am in Real Estate, and was hoping someone on here might be able to give advice on how different the housing market is over there in the UK?
Other then that, I just look forward to meeting all kinds of great people from wherever!  :)

~Kathy
"Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead, where there is no path and leave a trail."

• Garden Butterflies
Re: Hello!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2002, 05:44:48 PM »
Hello Kathy,

I am not in the UK for good yet so I can not help you with your question...but I wanted to welcome you to the group.  where in the States are you?  I am at the moment in the Baltimore/Washington area in Maryland just outside of Annapolis on the bay.

Michele
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2002, 08:29:56 PM »
hi kathy ....welcome to the site.  im sure you'll find lots of helpful info here to assistance in your move over.   so when is your expected date of arrival.  im from alabama and have been here for one year now.  im not in real estate so unfortunately i can help ya there.  but i can tell ya....boy are the houses different here, LOL.  i definitely miss my 1800sq ft, 4bedrooms/2baths, an acre property i had back in the states.  hummm i can only dream off owning something like that here, lol.

anyway....WELCOME & keep on postin!!  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

• Maine to London
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2002, 08:53:43 PM »
Hi Kathy and welcome.  
To echo ItsBcoz, real estate is so much different here!  First of all the cost of housing is astronomical!  You do not get nearly as much for your money as ItsBcoz indictated.  
I am currently in the market for a house.  We are selling our flat in London in order that we can move outside of the city.  I am having a hell of a time!   :o  Maybe by the time you come out (did you say next fall?) the market will have settled down.  
If you are interested you could check out some of the websites to get an idea.  I use www.rightmove.co.uk
Welcome and keep postin! :D
expat
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2002, 11:47:23 PM »
Hello Kathy, welcome to the site. I'm not really well versed on the housing market, other than the prices keep going up. Something like 20% in the last 1-2 years. I've heard there are 12 buyers for each property, but that may be specific to London.

Good luck in your plans. :)

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2002, 04:41:24 AM »
Hello to eveyone who responded, thank you so much for your friendly welcome!

I live in Minneapolis (Minnesota).  I'm in the wrong state, that's for sure.  I'm not too fond of the 30 below zero winters.  I must be crazy! lol

It sounds like the housing market is a bear to say the least, but that's good to know in advance.  If and when I decide to move there (planning for late 2003), it will be good know what I need to do to prepare for the move, so I'm not taken by surprise too much.

For those of you already living there, how well did you adjust to your new environment?

I'm single, so I am not planning to move a family over, which should make it easier? (I hope at least)

expat, thanks for the link.  That will come in handy! :)

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you better!

~Kathy
"Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead, where there is no path and leave a trail."

• Maine to London
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2002, 10:18:45 AM »
I used to spend quite a bit of time in Minneapolis when I lived in Chicago.  I must admit the winters were tough :o
Have you always lived there?  Well, you are very smart to use this site as a resource and a means of making friends before you move here, I wish I had done that!  
Take care and keep postin'
expat
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

• Tomorrows another day!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2002, 12:06:00 AM »
Hello -

We are in Leeds, and sold our flat last year to buy a 2 bedroom semi.  We got it just in time as well.  Another couple of months and it would have been out of our price range.

Prices are really high here in Leeds at the moment and there seems to be a shortage of available property to buy.

The are several links that you can use, but I recommend
http://fish4.co.uk/homes/index.jsp [nofollow] .  With it you can search for homes to buy or rent in different areas and price ranges.

Good luck.  I hope this helps some.

Liza
Welcome to Maine - The way life should be!

Sponsored Links