Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Favorite Historical Site  (Read 2710 times)

• Liked: 1
Favorite Historical Site
« on: February 10, 2004, 08:12:05 PM »
This one goes for people all over the place because you can have them in the USA too...despite what they say about us having no history. ;D

My favorite place in the world is the Alhambra in Granada, Spain.  I was amazed to be walking in such a diverse mix of cultures and historical significance.

I truly "felt" the presence of those that walked there before.  I just wanted to feel the stones and let the energy just seep in.  

What place or places have you visited that have left you awe struck?
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Re: Favorite Historical Site
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 08:52:36 PM »
At the risk of sounding self promoting my favorite building is the one I work in.  :)  

It is a 500 year old medieval manor house called Gainsborough Old Hall.  It blows my mind that such an important building is almost unheard of, yet so many great people have lived/stayed there and parts of it that have been virtually untouched for 400 years!  I'm far too close to the subject matter, but for historical signifigance it has been visited by Richard III, Henry VIII (owners liked to keep all their options open  ;)) Katherine Howard and Katherine Parr (who was first married to one of the owers sons), John Wesley preached in the hall several times and the pilgrim fathers worshiped there!

Ok, I'll come down off my soap box now  [smiley=blush.gif]  but just for the record, I can't recommend it enough!
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Can't wait to move! :-)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 06:47:12 PM »
Pompeii, for me, without a doubt. However, I also love the megalithic monuments all over the UK and Ireland.

Doreen
I long to let our love run free,
Yet here I am a victim of geography.
-Billy Bragg

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 08:39:14 PM »
Well I have a lot of favorite ones, but right now St. Paul's Cathedral in London is my fave.  Went there this past summer (drug the dear fiance with...he's usually good about indulging my history obsession...hehehe) and spent a good two hours there.  Despite my fear of heights and stairways you can see through (grated metal stairs), I climbed all the way to the top and looked outside from the dome.  It's a spectacular view of London!!!!!!!!!   It's funny that I had to drag Steven in there, but he was the one who wasn't quite ready to leave when we did. ;)

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 01:18:38 AM »
Well I have a lot of favorite ones, but right now St. Paul's Cathedral in London is my fave.  Went there this past summer (drug the dear fiance with...he's usually good about indulging my history obsession...hehehe) and spent a good two hours there.  Despite my fear of heights and stairways you can see through (grated metal stairs), I climbed all the way to the top and looked outside from the dome.  It's a spectacular view of London!!!!!!!!!   It's funny that I had to drag Steven in there, but he was the one who wasn't quite ready to leave when we did. ;)

another shameless plug

Krissy next time your in London check out Westminster Cathdral.You can go on the lift to the top and see a beautiful view of London too.The church is beautiful to explore as well.
 My two BIL's  still work security there.Just tell them Gordon sent you  ;D Once we move back over let me know,we can go there together or anyone else that is interested.
  Good to know people in high places  ;D ;D ;D hehehehe

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 05:48:57 PM »
Oh very nice, Rhia.  That would be fantastic!!!! ;D  Yes it is good to know high people...I mean people in high places...hehehehe ;D

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 06:10:34 PM »
Ooh, I loved St. Paul's.

But I especially liked Hollyrood House, and of course the Tower was pretty cool.

I haven't been able to see many historical sites...I've a long list for when we get there!

• Life needs to be worked at.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 06:34:02 AM »
  HMS Hood - 18m down in portland harbour
14,150 tonnes Royal Sovereign battleship. Deliberately sunk in 1914 to block harbour entrance, to prevent torpedo attack on anchored ships.   this ship lies upside down   -   Unfortunately if you cant dive you cant see it ;) :)
G

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 03:11:23 PM »
  HMS Hood - 18m down in portland harbour
14,150 tonnes Royal Sovereign battleship. Deliberately sunk in 1914 to block harbour entrance, to prevent torpedo attack on anchored ships.   this ship lies upside down   -   Unfortunately if you cant dive you cant see it ;) :)

Hmm you cheeky man,you know about those things now wouldnt you;you old fart  :P ;D ;)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab