Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: National Insurance Number Interview  (Read 16486 times)

• Liked: 0
National Insurance Number Interview
« on: February 13, 2004, 11:41:59 AM »
I have my interview today.  I think I'm all prepared, but I was just wondering how I should dress.  I've got a suit (black dress with suit jacket) and I've got black trousers with a nice cream shirt that looks smart.  Which one is best for this type of thing?

Thanks!  ;D

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: National Insurance Number Interview
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 12:43:08 PM »
I don't think it really matters how you dress, but it doesn't hurt to dress nicely, makes a good impression. Plus, it'll be more obvious you're not there to go on the dole.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 08:15:53 AM »
That was one of the things that blew me away when I went for my interview. I was clueless, so it never entered my mind that I was the only one there (during my interview) that wasn't on the dole. I came away from the experience with a huge dose of other world reality. It wasn't a side of England I wanted to dwell in.

Nicely dressed, yes, but don't dress like it's a job interview. (I realize the advice is too late, but perhaps future readers with the same question might benefit.) With this group, it might be best to fade into the background more than standing out looking like what the other people in the queue might feel is a prat.

I'm sure they were all lovely people. And anyone can find themselves in the circumstance of being  on the dole. My experience may have been unlike anyone else's. It's not a place I ever want to have to return to. I'm talking about the people who were in the queue. The people actually working there were wonderful...and they will never be paid enough.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 08:47:57 AM »
I had a similar experience, Lisa.  I was very glad to have my hubby with me.  

The thing that really painted the picture for me were the signs all over the *inside* of the building saying no drinking alcohol and no sleeping on the floor.   :-/

I was certainly glad to be out there and hope never to return!

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 09:23:08 AM »
I hadn't realized any of it until my interviewer pointed it out! She said something along the lines of 'oh, so you're not one of them, that's a change'.  :o I just smiled and nodded.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 10:57:05 AM »
My local Job Centre is actually a pretty decent place - probably because it's located right next to the local police station as well!  ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 10:13:34 PM »
I agree with everything everyone has said.  Dress nice, but not over the top.  When the lady that interviewed me found out my husband was sitting in the waiting room waiting for me, she said to have him come in so he wouldn't have to sit with 'them'. The place was nothing like what I expected at all.

• JennyI
  • A Stranger in a Strange Land

• Obamarama
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 12:45:22 PM »
I hated my interview and I'm glad I never have to go through it again. I did feel a bit vulnerable when I went to the interview only because there were a few crazies waiting there as well. I was told by a friend who had been through the same thing to expect lots of questions about where I met my husband, how long we knew each other, etc etc but all they did was take loads of copies of my passport and other documents and that was it. I had my number in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 12:45:56 PM by mrs_kev »
Good things come to those who wait...a really long time.

Sponsored Links