Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cat food - Hills prescription diet  (Read 696 times)

• Liked: 0
Cat food - Hills prescription diet
« on: February 22, 2004, 05:41:55 PM »
Not too sure if this post belongs here, but I couldn't think of where else to put it, and it is about food!  :)

We just found out that one of our cats needs to eat a form of Hills Prescription Diet because of a urinary problem.  Does anyone know where I could get this cheaply?  I just paid 30 pounds for a 5kg bag at the vet's office.  I'm wondering if having it shipped from the US would work out cheaper.

Thanks

pcbnyc

• Liked: 1
Re: Cat food - Hills prescription diet
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 05:57:52 PM »
lol.... I wish I was in the UK to advise, buy I can tell you that Science Diet (Hills) is just as expensive here.  One thing.. . . I don't know if they have something like a PETSMART over there, but there are many brands that are better for your cat or dog than the Hills brands.  The company gives tons of incentives to vets to push it and if you read the ingredients it is largely bi-products.  We used to feed our animals nothing but Hills brand foods.  Now we use Nutro-Max and Nature's Best (the brand not the hill's one!).  I will see if I can find a link to them and if they sell them in the UK.  I will also email my breeder and talk to my trainer to see what the equivalent would be.  Mainly just look for a cat food for uninary tracts in cats and the first ingredient should be chicken or fish or whatever and not followed by the word by-product.  Like with people food the less ingredients the better.  :)

Sorry to go on, but I  devoted pet person and it bugs me to no end that they recommend Hill's because of profit.  It's like a doctor recommending a particular drug because the drug rep gave them a free golf day.

Found one:  
http://www.nutro.co.uk/cat/index.htm
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 06:03:55 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 11:10:57 PM »
Thanks for that link! According to it 2 pet stores near me sell that brand.  I'd also be interested in hearing what your breeder and trainer have to say.

pcbnyc

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 11:29:29 PM »
Hey..here's the FDA link...

lots of night time reading....

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/index/consumer/petlabel.htm

From the Animal Protection League

http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm

Also, I am not saying that Hill's will hurt the kitty but their just might be better foods out there ingredients wise and cost wise.

Good Luck!

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 08:44:27 PM »
Thanks, again!  I haven't had a chance to read them yet. I'm super busy Mon-Wed.  I hope to get around to them tomorrow.  Murdoc seems to be under the weather again.  He appeared to be getting better and was running around the other day, but today he seems very lethargic.  We haven't been letting him into the garden today so that we can see if he's having difficulty urinating again.  He's finished his anti-inflammatory pills, but he's still taking the antibiotic.

pcbnyc

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab