Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: SMP advice sought  (Read 899 times)

• my LiveJournal
  • Liked: 0
SMP advice sought
« on: February 23, 2004, 04:40:14 PM »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of receiving Statutory Maternity Pay before they became UK citizens. My husband is British, and the baby is due 28.7.04.

I know that one of the conditions of living here on a spouse visa (with indefinite leave to remain) is that one doesn't draw on public funds, but since the baby will be a UK citizen, I'm not sure if that will make a difference...

However, I plan on applying for my UK citizenship in June this year, and am hoping that will make a difference in case I'm not eligible for SMP yet...

Thank you for any help you can offer,

Laurelei

• Liked: 2
Re: SMP advice sought
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 05:41:06 PM »
It's your employer that pays SMP not the state so you are not drawing on public funds. Whether you get it or not depends how long you've been with your employer.

You might find this site helpful as to whether you qualify for it:

www.1s4profit.com/busadvice/maternityleaveandpay/

• my LiveJournal
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 06:01:36 PM »
Thank you so much!!! I've been here since July 2003, so I should be in the clear for SMP.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 06:36:42 PM »
I don't know exactly about SMP, but my midwife told me that I'm eligible to receive all the normal benefits a regular old UK citizen is entitled to, since I'm living here on a settlement visa (FLR for me), because I was worried about the "drawing from public funds" things as well, but we'll be getting child tax credit, child benefit, and all that stuff - they don't care what kind of visa I'm here on, I'm entitled. She said it would be the same if I was working as well.. hope that helps and doesn't confuse!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• my LiveJournal
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 05:23:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice!

I've looked into it a bit deeper, and have been told that I shouldn't have to worry, that I'll get SMP through my work and that it isn't a "benefit" per se, so I should be fine!

Sponsored Links