Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Food for thought  (Read 1192 times)

• Liked: 1
Food for thought
« on: February 24, 2004, 06:34:05 PM »
Okay maybe not for thought, but it's more of a point of interest.  Do any of you know of or are yourself food hoarders?  

I say this having 6 cases of Campbells soup in my garage. MY mother (bless her) likes sales.  So when there is a sale she goes over the top.  It happens with cleaning items (5 bottles of bleach), but it is mostly with food.  Our freezers are so full I can't see anything.  I have three four shelved units filled with cans and stuff.

I noticed this pattern with other older people who lived post war.  I mean I to will stock up when there are sales.... but 6 cases?  Lord.  ::)

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Hiya
Re: Food for thought
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 06:40:57 PM »
Hahaha Peeps!!!  This so reminds me of two people I know.  First is my grandma, and she's a post depression/post war person, so I understand this mentality in her completely.  I suppose if you grew up never knowing if you'd have enough, etc., you might go a bit over the top with stocking up as well.

My mom is a bit of a food and cleaning supplies hoarder, but not to the extreme.  Now a fellow teacher at her school, oh my is he nuts!!!  First of all he's only like 24 or 25, so I have no idea where his obsession with hoarding up on sales comes from, other than that he is the biggest tightwad I've ever met.  Now growing up in a teaching family (and going to become one myself), I can understand coupon clipping and pinching pennies, but he is OUT OF CONTROL.  He's still single, but owns his own 3 bedroom house.  One bedroom he sleeps in, one is his office, and one is...well it's basically a super-sized pantry.  His last major purchase was like 3 cases of green beans.  I appreciate that they were only like 40 cents a can, but for crying out loud, he lives by himself, how many beans can you possibly use????  LOL.  

Ah, the interesting things you see in life.  I have my own quirks too. ;)

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 07:54:19 PM »
I used to be that way...till I moved to England where I now live in a place only slightly bigger than a bread-box.   :(

Not much hording here now...I'm lucky to get a week's shopping in without having to store soup cans under the couch.  Ahhhh London Life!   ;D

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 08:36:32 PM »
When I bring American food over here, I save it until...well, actually it goes bad.  :-/ It's so much like gold that I never want to "waste" it...and then I do.  :'(
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 08:46:12 PM »
Oh I've done that as well, Lisa...but I always do it with my Jaffa Cakes. ;D  I never want to eat them all at once...must save them, as I won't be going back for months and months, then they all go stale and dried out. :'(  Silly me :-/

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 10:10:46 PM »
lol  Ah, memories. My parents were also post-depression and you could feed a team of sumo wrestlers from their pantry...and I think they had 2 fridges and 3 freezers. They would even buy k-rations and save them. Blech!  I think it was a novelty thing. We never had to worry when there was a storm and we were cut off for a couple of days - there was always plenty of food. But, it often did go bad...out of date by a couple of decades.

Over here, like Wishstar said, there's no room to hoard.  There's no room for ANYTHING big.  And, I think British and Europeans like to go shopping regularly - some of them every day. Ick. I hate shopping - once a week is quite often enough, thank you, and if I could get that down to once a month I would be a happy, happy woman.
"Drink deeply from this day, this cup of possibilities."

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 12:38:08 AM »
I thought i was bad 'hoarding' 3 cans of Libby's tinned pumpkin, and 6 bottles of Knorr 'Touch of Taste' concentrated beef boullion!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 11:19:04 AM »
When I bring American food over here, I save it until...well, actually it goes bad.  :-/ It's so much like gold that I never want to "waste" it...and then I do.  :'(

That happens to me sometimes, too!  I have to keep remembering that my mother is more than happy to send more when I run out and that it's not like I'll NEVER have it again!  ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 01:03:46 PM »
My brother in the US is a hoarder - nothing to do with post-war, simply that he lives right near Sams!!!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 01:12:56 PM »
Of course I'm sitting here wondering just how long I'm going to make my 6-pack of Dr Brown's Cel-Ray soda last.... ::)

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 01:26:52 PM »
Of course I'm sitting here wondering just how long I'm going to make my 6-pack of Dr Brown's Cel-Ray soda last.... ::)

What is that, a regional soda..never heard of it.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 01:34:19 PM »
It's usually in the Jewish/Kosher food sections.  I've got a list of Jewish delis in London that I plan on canvassing to see if they carry it - but in the meantime I smuggled some in my carry-on bag!  ;)

It's celery-flavoured soda.  And it's lovely.  Dr Brown also makes orange and black cherry and cream soda and root beer.  But the Cel-Ray is the most *unique* one!  ;)

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 01:36:41 PM »
We used to have a drink called Moxi up here in the New England area....vile stuff.

• My little cutie
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 05:00:06 PM »
When I was in the states I would do the sale shopping thing as well, lots of shelf foods that will last forever, can goods and boxed goods. My favorite was the spartan sales each year. But here there are not as big of sales and no place to put them either

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 05:36:03 PM »
Oh I've done that as well, Lisa...but I always do it with my Jaffa Cakes. ;D  I never want to eat them all at once...must save them, as I won't be going back for months and months, then they all go stale and dried out. :'(  Silly me :-/

That is EXACTLY what I do as well :-\  In the fridge at the moment are some old French Fancies, Cherry Bakewells, and Lilts that have been in there far too long and gone bad.  When myself or Sean bring them back over from England, I try to keep them as long as possible for a special occasion.  I want them to last.  Then when they go off, I'm so annoyed that I didn't get to enjoy them  >:(

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab