Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Weekend in Edinburgh - advise please  (Read 1879 times)

• Maine to London
  • Liked: 0
Weekend in Edinburgh - advise please
« on: October 24, 2002, 03:22:22 PM »
Hello,
My hubby wants to go to Edinburgh for the weekend and I need some advise.

We live in London so it is about a 4 and a 1/2 hour train ride for us.  My questions are:

Are we crazy to go for just the weekend?  We would probably leave either Friday night or early Sat. morning and come back Sunday night.

Can you suggest a nice but not too expensive B&B?

And, what do we do while we are there?

Thank you, I know I can always get great advise here.
expat  :D
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

• having one of those days...
Re: Weekend in Edinburgh - advise please
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2002, 09:11:21 PM »
no, not crazy to go for just a regular weekend, we did that a couple of years ago, although we drove (took us 9 hours, with the fog and the rest stop).

be aware that you will probably be rushed to see certain things. we took one of those hop-on, hop-off bus tours and looked at the greyfriars bobby area and edinburgh castle.  be there for the 1 o'clock guns -- cool.  then we just found a pub along princes street (the main shoppping area) and cruised and shopped for the rest of the time.  that was the extent of our touring:)

i can't tell you about b&b's but there are a lot of them in edinburgh.  just choose somewhere that is easy to get to from the train station (waverley?). but stick to the side nearer princes street since that is the nicer area.

the caledonian in town centre is supposed to be one of the nicest hotels...the bars were crowded but there are lots of places if you just look around.

i found that a weekend in edinburgh was enough...next time i go to scotland i want to go to the highlands!

have a great time!!

*:)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

• Maine to London
Re: Weekend in Edinburgh - advise please
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2002, 09:55:08 PM »
Thank you so much for the info islandgirl  ;D

wow, 9 hours geez...

I called about train tickets and was told that there has been a landslide which would affect the train journey.  The last 1 and a 1/2 we would have to take a bus.  So, based on that piece of information and that the economy seats were sold out, I have decided that we will go next weekend instead.  
Big price diff when you can get economy seats btw.

Anyway, thanks again.
expat  ;)  
« Last Edit: October 24, 2002, 09:55:41 PM by expat »
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

Sponsored Links