Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Finding Plus Size Clothing  (Read 45400 times)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Finding Plus Size Clothing
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:49:38 AM »
I've been in the UK for almost 7 years and I'm happy to say that things have improved quite a bit for us plus size beauties! In all honesty, I prefer the fit, prices, and styles available in the US, but I can more than make do here.  :)

First off, you will have no doubt noticed that sizes are different here. Sadly, your dress size will go up (though in all fairness, that can be offset by a decrease in shoe size!!). In general, I am a US 18/20 but here, I'm anything from a 20-26. I find vanity sizing more prevalent here though, ironically, I'm in the biggest number at the most popular plus size store here, Evans! I also find that the model that many plus size retailers use for their clothing ranges is not one that is going to give me the best fit. I’m a classic hour glass with a major difference between waist and hips. I feel like most clothes here are geared towards the apple shape. I can’t find jeans to fit here to save my life. But that’s just me!

The following is a list of high street and online retailers who sell all or some ‘plus size’ clothing (some of them may only carry up to 20 or 22 and this may not be at every store - some towns will have very small branches with no plus size at all). Thanks to those of you who have posted a lot of these already. I’m not going to review each store. They all have slightly different target audiences and you’ll like some of them and hate some of them. Quality will vary as well as style. Feel free to offer your opinions on these shops in your own posts! Or PM me and I’ll add anything I’ve missed!

Evans
Ann Harvey (no web site)
New Look
Monsoon
Marks & Spencer
H&M
LaRedoute
FiftyPlus
Next
Dorothy  Perkins
Damart
Fashion Closet
eplussizeclothes.com
SimplyBe
Abound
Ambrose Wilson
Start new topiccinnamonfashion.co.uk/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">Cinnamon Fashion
Large Ladies Clothing

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Body Shape and Shopping(was:Finding Plus Size Clothing)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 07:54:11 PM »
Something I have noticed is that some shops have signs saying they don't keep their largest and smallest sizes in stock, but will order them for you.  This could be an option if you don't need an item right away.

• All About Chickens
  • Liked: 0
Re: Finding Plus Size Clothing
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 02:54:21 PM »
MKOne also has a plus size range. From memory, it goes up to a size 26.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 08:47:01 PM »
Also TK Maxx (the UK equivalent of TJ Maxx/Marshall's)
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 05:46:14 PM »
I just ran across a Guardian magazine from October 2004 which has a list of plus-size shops... i'll post the ones that i dont think have been mentioned already on this thread, but i dont know if they are all still going; nor can i vouch for what the clothes are like (but somehow i feel anything's got to be better than Evans!)...

Elvi 01527 506306
www.elvi.co.uk

Size Up 0800 0856540
www.sizeup.co.uk

Pinc Clothing 01685 878 798
www.pincclothing.co.uk

Look Again 0870 6055666
www.lookagain.co.uk

Base 0207 2408914
www.base-fashions.co.uk

French & Teague 0207 255 2266
www.sixteen47.com

They also list a couple of American shops that will ship to the UK (watch out for those shipping charges, though!)

B and Lu 001 763 416 5853
www.bandlu.com

Size Appeal
001 866 627 7325
www.sizeappeal.com

Torrid
001 626 839 4681
www.torrid.com

Hope this helps someone!  :)

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »
Here's a link to a site that delivers Lane Bryant in the UK.

http://dresses.bizrate.com/womensdresses/brand--lane-bryant/products__att259--280035-.html
We are a nation that has a government -- not the other way around. And this makes us special among the nations of the earth. Our government has no power except that granted to it by the people. It is time to check and reverse the growth of government, which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed.
Ronald Reagan

�In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.� - Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 10:20:23 PM »
Thanks for this, as I am a landmonster!  I had discovered Evans while I lived in Colchester and was happy to see one in Coleraine when I last visited.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 11:16:27 PM »
Lands End is over here as well and sell in US sizes
http://www.landsend.co.uk/

Someone mentioned Ann Harvey, but had no website. Here it is:
http://annharveyfashion.co.uk/index.php

• Jenny's Adventures In England
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 09:28:22 PM »
I'll throw in my two sense because I just had a heck of a week trying to find a dress for a wedding this weekend. We went to town and looked in all the shops there.. dozens, I don't even know the names... and what I got and love is from Sainsbury's (found it on our weekly grocery trip). I got a jacket at Tesco that is perfect for all sorts of occasions. I was very impressed with both of their selections and sizes. It's not high quality clothing, but they've got shirts and pants (though this time around I didn't find a pair that fit well - always my main problem with clothes shopping, pants), sweaters, coats and jackets. And nicer styles than the plus size options I'd have back in Virginia.

• Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 08:39:53 AM »
 Beth Ditto just did a line for Evan's, I know this because she is my hometown hero.

The clothes are a bit pricey, but the purple sequin number? I die!!!

Beth is such a badass.
Here we go:

17 AUG 2009- Applied online
20 AUG 2009- Biometrics
24 Aug- Sent everything to expediter
26 Aug-Application taken to consulate
26 Aug-Fiancee visas approved!!!
 2 Sep-Moved to UK!

• Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 08:44:41 AM »
Also, torrid.com looks like they have some really cute stuff, and forever 21 just started a new plus sized line called faith21, it looks like they have some nice gear.. I don't know if either of those ship internationally, though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:46:38 AM by dangerface »
Here we go:

17 AUG 2009- Applied online
20 AUG 2009- Biometrics
24 Aug- Sent everything to expediter
26 Aug-Application taken to consulate
26 Aug-Fiancee visas approved!!!
 2 Sep-Moved to UK!

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 09:28:01 AM »
Marina Rinaldi (www.marinarinaldi.com) is on the pricey side, but has beautiful clothes.

Both Talbots.com and JJill.com have a lot of plus size clothing.  Talbots just closed their brick and mortar UK stores, but both stores (they're actually owned by the same company) do ship to the UK.  Downside:  it's for a hefty fee plus customs charges. 

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »
Beth Ditto just did a line for Evan's, I know this because she is my hometown hero.

The clothes are a bit pricey, but the purple sequin number? I die!!!

Beth is such a badass.

the sequins were a bit much for me, but I got the geometric sequin dress, studded belt and both pairs of shoes.

yay beth :D

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
www.simplybe.co.uk is also a good site to check out for Plus Sizes.
“I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.” ~David Sedaris

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 04:18:22 AM »
I was actually surprised when I went to ASDA for the first time they actually had decent plus size clothing at reasonable prices...actually stuff I would like to wear...I was very suprised.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love
and to be loved in return"

Sponsored Links