Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Antony Gormley : blind light  (Read 866 times)

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
Antony Gormley : blind light
« on: May 26, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »
http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/gormley/

went to Southbank today (one of the advantages of going to the museum on rainy days less people there ;D) had a wonderful experience at the Antony Gormley installation called Blind Light. I'm not always moved by modern art installation but this one did. I think it had to do more with watching people interact with the piece itself.  Gormley is the one that did the Angel of the North if I'm not mistaken. Suggestion is to book your ticket ahead. You will have to queue because only 25 people at a time are allowed into the glass piece and it's surreal. It's a glass box essentially filled with mist which you don't think much about it on paper but it was an enjoyable experience...Jess placed her hand on the glass whilst we waited to go into it and  and 3-4 hands appeared on the otherside. **IF you have asthma or suffer from claustrophobia then I would avoid going. You go in and you litterally can not see ahead of you , your throat does get dry and if you walk too quickly in it you may slip on the wet floor underneath you or bump into the glass. Once in you can't see anything but you can hear the other people and it was quite fun not seeing anyone then all of a sudden a face appears in front of you which you share a moment of shock , then comfort and then laughter.

if you've got an afternoon spare definitely pop in an take a look at the exhibit. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 09:15:05 PM by Alicia »
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Antony Gormley : blind light
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 08:55:02 PM »
I wish I could go. I quite like Gormley. He did do the Angel of the North and has done lots of really cool installments.

I saw this one at Baltic:
http://www.antonygormley.com/newsite/viewprojectphoto.php?photoseriesid=5&page=1

But have a look through the rest of his site, he's pretty cool.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 09:22:39 PM »
Really cool! Although I'm not a big fan of the Angel of the North.

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 09:29:26 PM »
in the exhibit there is a installation made out of toast/sliced bread which he's cut out a shape of a man in a fetal position...the look on Jessica's face that said "if I were to do that you'd tell me off" was priceless  ;D
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 06:00:32 PM »
I used to work at the Southbank Centre - I was so looking forward to this exhibition - I've got to get my butt down there.  Did you go upstairs and look at all the statues?  They've put statues on a lot of the surrounding buildings, and they all face the Hayward. It was a total nightmare - they had to apply for planning permission for every single one!  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab