Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Council tax  (Read 3837 times)

• this is dedicated to the one i love
  • Liked: 0
Council tax
« on: April 02, 2004, 12:05:03 AM »
Df and I are looking for a flat in London.  Now, he is a student and exempt from council tax, but I must pay.  An estate agent we met with today mentioned that we could put the lease in df's name and we would not have to pay any council tax because I would not be on the lease.

Does anyone know the legal implications of this?
Especially considering that I am a new immigrant?
(We have an official permanent address with a family member at the moment)
It seemed like it would be a good idea to save some money, but are worried that this may cause us trouble.
Help!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Council tax
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 11:14:46 AM »
You're going to want your name on a council tax bill for things like bank accounts, FLR, and establishing any sort of credit in the UK.  Possibly even getting your NI number so you can work - I think.

Plus, you're going to want proof you reside together, and being on the lease is a good way to prove that - even better than simply receiving post there.

But as far as actual *legal* implications, I'm not sure.  I just know you don't want to get on the wrong side of the Council!  :P
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 12:08:49 PM »
Yes, the coucils are deadly serious about their money! And you do need to establish yourself as seriously as possible. You could probably get away with it but it's probably not in your long term best interests.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 02:55:01 PM »
It's absolutely illegal to do that.  As a resident over 18, you must be registered and should have to pay council tax unless you get some concession from the government.  It's also specifically stated on the visa rules that we are NOT entitled to a council tax benefit.

Definitely register with the council.  You never know how they could find out about you, so it's just safer to do the right thing rather than risk arrest or deportation (if they want to take it that far).

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 04:05:24 PM »
Yes it's illegal, yes the council would find out, and yes the estate agent is an idiot :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 04:36:23 PM »
Okay...this is news to me.  What if you move into a freehole house owned by family and your husband. I can't exactly nor would ask to be put on the deed so do you still register with the council and what are earth is a council tax...well aside from a tax?
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 05:56:23 PM »
It doesn't matter where you live (whether with family or not, or whether you own the house or rent it).  Council tax must be paid by everyone 18 and older who does not qualify for a concession.  

Council tax is, in my opinion, the English equivalent to the US property tax.  Everyone pays a particular tax based on how much their property was worth in 1991.  The money goes to the local government, fire, rescue, etc.  

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 06:22:37 PM »
The kicker is that in the US, a landlord would be paying the property tax (although probably passing along the "cost" in the rent amount).  In the UK, even if you are RENTING the property, the council tax is your responsibility.  Ick.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 11:43:46 AM »
Apart from the fact that it's illegal... it's not right to use the services and not pay for them.
Your estate agent is living up to their reputation of being tubes.

Here in West Lothian, our council tax includes our water, and rubbish collection as well as police, fire, etc.

• this is dedicated to the one i love
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 03:33:00 PM »

Here in West Lothian, our council tax includes our water, and rubbish collection as well as police, fire, etc.

Our council tax must not include water, as we will have to pay a seperate water bill.  not something I am used to as in all the places I have rented, the landlord pays for water and sewage, and the tenant just pays for heating the water.

Anyway, thank VERY much for the advice everyone.  We have decided to do the right thing and make sure all of our ts are crossed and is are dotted.  There is an unlimted amount of potential problems it could create for both of us.

Council tax is far different from property tax, as property tax is for *owning* a property, which you have to have at least a little bit of money to do anyway - and the amount is based on the value of your house.  With the council tax, no matter how rich or poor you are, you still pay the same amount - it is a tax on your head, a tax mearly for existing.  It is in fact, the very thing that sparked the English revoluion and the beheading of Charles I.  The fact the people must pay the same amount whether you have money or live in poverty leaves the impoverished feeling a bit bitter and slighted.  Oh well.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 08:26:32 AM »
But, the Council Tax is tax-band rated, and that's their justification for it not being unfair. Each home has a different rating based on size and property value. What they haven't done is re-valued any of the properties lately. If they did, they probably would be bringing in multiple times as much.

Here's a link as an example. Since every Council charges a different rate, this can only be used as a guide to illustrate about tax bands and how they determine the rate/justify the increase. http://www.richmond.gov.uk/depts/finance/revenues/ctax/ctax_bands.htm

I note the last time they appraised value was in 1991. For sure you don't want them to come and re-value now!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 11:56:16 AM »

It is in fact, the very thing that sparked the English revoluion and the beheading of Charles I.  The fact the people must pay the same amount whether you have money or live in poverty leaves the impoverished feeling a bit bitter and slighted.  Oh well.

Actually the causes of the English Civil War were rather more complicated than that, or are you thinking of the much earlier Peasants Revolt against the Poll Tax? The  Thatcher government also tried to introduce a Poll Tax (although they called it the Community Charge)  in the 1980s , and eventually had to abandon it in favour of council tax due to widespread public disorder. In fact it is said to have eventually brought down Margaret Thatcher.

Council tax is somewhat fairer, because as Lisa, said, houses are rated on size and property value. It's certainly better than the Poll Tax, but there is an ongoing argument in favour of a levy based on land values.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 12:23:51 PM by HME »
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 12:00:23 PM »
I note the last time they appraised value was in 1991. For sure you don't want them to come and re-value now!

Eeeek.  Our house has literally trebled in value since 1991.  We don't want them re-valueing anything.
I'm sure you're thinking of the poll tax in the late  1980's (wasn't officially called the poll tax) where everyone paid the same flat tax regardless.  

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 12:02:05 PM »
And people actually living in poverty aren't paying, either.  They wouldn't be expected to pay.  

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 12:20:02 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that council tax is the same as American property tax.  I just think of it as the equivalent.  It is, after all, a tax based on the value of the property in which one lives.  Everyone does not pay the same amount and those with limited incomes are given discounts and sometimes, do not have to pay at all (in the more severe cases).  There are also discounts for uninhabited properties, etc.

I wouldn't say that council tax is a tax we must pay for merely existing.  It's a tax we pay in exchange for council services.  As much as we all hate to pay tax, we do enjoy the services that come along with it.  I love going to the local library, and I really enjoy the fact that the council comes and takes our rubbish and recycling.  I like being able to walk down streets that aren't covered in empty crisp packets and I like knowing that there is a local police force I can call if I ever need assistance.  You get what you pay for (ususally).  ;-)

Anyhoo, I'm glad you've decided to do the right thing.  It'll save you some worrying!  :-)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 12:24:19 PM by lolabola »

Sponsored Links