Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Student visa question  (Read 420 times)

• Liked: 0
Student visa question
« on: May 09, 2008, 11:35:21 PM »
I've got a question about student visas, and I haven't found the answer anywhere in my internet searching.
What is the earliest I could enter the UK on a student visa in advance of the university program's start date?
Let's say I want to enroll in a one-calendar-year master's program that starts in late September. What is the earliest I could apply for a visa for the program and enter the UK?
Thanks!!!

• Liked: 3595
Re: Student visa question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 12:54:45 AM »
I've got a question about student visas, and I haven't found the answer anywhere in my internet searching.
What is the earliest I could enter the UK on a student visa in advance of the university program's start date?

I'm not sure exactly, but I think it's usually up to 30 days before the start date of the program.

Let's say I want to enroll in a one-calendar-year master's program that starts in late September. What is the earliest I could apply for a visa for the program and enter the UK?

I believe you can apply for the visa once you receive the acceptance letter and documents from the university you've applied for (the earlier you can apply once you have acceptance the better really, in case it takes a while for the visa to be issued). Once you've got the visa I think you then have to apply for entry clearance. The visa will probably be valid from the date the course starts and I think you can then enter the UK up to 30 days before that date (again I'm not sure if 30 days is correct - it could be less).

Here's a link to a useful pdf file with info about the paperwork and requirements for the visa:
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/files/pdf/info_sheets/planning_study.pdf

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:32:55 AM »
you can apply up to three months before the date you want to leave.

The official stance is that you can have your student visa start 30 days before the course begins, but there have been anecdotal reports floating around of consulates giving start dates in July & early August for late September courses...you can ask them to post date it earlier if you wish, but of course they can always say no!  Planning on arriving 30 days or less before the start of the course is probably safest, though.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• TV geek for hire
    • Mclevey Art
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:37:12 AM »
As everyone has said, three months and 30 days, but it's all at the discretion of the person processing your visa.

Good luck!
Another shameless promotion for www.mclevey.com, the best place on the internet to buy art.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab