Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Various kinds of homesickness!  (Read 1597 times)

Various kinds of homesickness!
« on: May 04, 2004, 02:30:20 PM »
While out grocery shopping today l looked up and saw who l thought was my best friend from back home. l immedately started going towards her but then stopped and realized where l was at. Then around the corner stood what looked like my stepfather!  Wow 2 in one go! This of course sent me reeling into a homesick sadness. I got back to the car and started remembering my friend and the things we used to do and the places we went and the fun we had and of course it made me even more homesick.

Then on the drive home, the clouds in the sky looked very threatening for a storm, a few looked like funnel clouds. Ahhhh the big thunderstorms! Well that of course sent me into another depression. And then when l reached home the clouds burst open with one rumble of thunder!! Yep just one rumble!! Sent the cows in the front garden running!! lol But for me just added to the sadness!  :\\\'(

Isn't it funny just how one thing can bring back a flood of memories and fills your heart with much sadness? Don't get me wrong, l do love it here but still sometimes it's hard to deal with the waves of homesickness that creeps up every now and again! Been here almost 3 years now and thankfully it's not as bad as it was when l first came here!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Various kinds of homesickness!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 02:58:20 PM »
Awwww.  I hope you are feeling a bit better.  I've been talking to a young woman who moved here from London & she just recently had a bought of homesickness...due to hearing that I was moving over there.  We have talked about it a bit and I reminded her that it would pass in the near future...but what it meant is that she had good memories of her past and that she was still connected to people in another place...that this was a good thing, as it meant she could still go back to that place, to those people and have some joy.  Much better than leaving a place that you hated in some ways.  I reminded her that as you go through life, you will always have wishful thoughts of going 'back' - to a different time, a place, etc.  Sometimes I'm homesick for the safety & comfort of my family home...but I can't go back to that as my parent's have since divorced & moved away.  But I have my happy memories that can comfort me when things go wrong.  I had good times & know that I will continue to have good times if I give it a chance.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 05:55:29 AM »
It's weird how something so (seemingly) small can really affect your attitude.  :(  I've done the very same.  Massive homesickness after I couldn't find pancake mix and maple syrup at the store one day.  :-\\\\  I'm sorry you were feeling this way..  I guess it does get easier with time, but there are things that can always trigger spats of it. 

Hope you're feeling better.   [smiley=daisy.gif]

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 07:28:01 AM »
Thank you for your words of encouragement!

Yes it does get easier with time. It doesn't happen a lot anymore like it used to when you first come over here. But there are days when it hits you like a ton of bricks!
I remember when l first came over and the real homesickness hit me, we were at a store and l couldn't find Scotch tape! Yep, scotch tape! l told DH to go ahead and pay for the items we were purchasing and l went to the car and cried all the way home. l had only been here 1 month at that time!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 09:44:03 AM »
((((((((((Trish)))))))))))) Glad to see you are bouncing back.  I haven't felt this yet but imagine its inevitable.  Not looking forward to it either!  I'm glad you shared it -helps to know even after 3 years you can still miss home and have a place where people understand and sympathise.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 10:12:52 AM »
it is amazing how little things can set someone into homesickness...I have only been here for 6 months now...so my homesickness is still very fresh and often...but i am learning how to deal with them one at a time...by remembering the moments that make me homesick...then look around and find the things surrounding me to make me feel at home here... it really does help to have personal affects that you brought with you to make your new home feel like your old home... looking at my little treasures around the house reminds me that I am ok where I am...and when I do get to visit at home in the states sometime...i know the people will treasure my visit more...and selfishly I know they will pamper and spoil us at that time... which is a lot more than they did when i was there every day... so that will be cool. 8)

I will admit that there are many days I wake up, look around me and think...what the heck am i doing here, where is my old life that was my comfort zone, the places and people that I could always rely on...  then I remember that I am here with the man i married and choose to start a new life with...and after all, those places and people were not all that reliable back home...infact, i could not wait to get away from the hustle and bustle...the horrendous thunderstorms that would have me shaking and hiding in a closet at times...the humid 100 degree days of summer...and even my dearest of friends, although i know they loved me, they all had families of their own, doing their thing and in actuality, if we saw each other 4 times a year it was a miracle...  Then I think of work and how much I miss it...but why?  the job was going down hill, I was constantly standing my ground there and layoffs were constantly rumored....they cut our project down to a minimum and everyone had to do at least 4 extra jobs which was ridiculous...we were not getting pay rises that were promised...and every year they stole more and more vacation time away from us...

So what is it that I miss then... comfort zone...the fact that I always knew what I was doing and where I would be going... knowing that i was living a day to day life of the same thing...knowing that if I did wish to see those friends that were so busy...that I could in a pinch if needed...

I believe that once I can start having the comfort zone here...and meet a few people to spend time with as friends...then the rest from home will settle back in memories of a different life...and my friends...well, they will always be my friends and I am sure we will still keep that 4 times a year contact...just on a different level... and then when i do visit...we will be treated like the king and queen of england, vying for time spent with us...and hey! what a nice feeling to go home to now and then

ok, i am rambling...but it actually felt good to write these thoughts of homesickness out...what comes on the keyboard are thoughts that are rarely reminded to the conscious until you actually write them down... and now I feel much much better...  ;D
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 02:45:02 PM »
  Hope that you are feeling better today Trish sweetie.I know being able to share here,and have people tell you that your not alone in how you feel,will help you  also  :)

Its ok to be sad and miss home and cry like a big ole baby now and again!I get sad thinking how much my baby has grown or my sisters,nephews,neice etc.... and Iam like dang I wish I could back in time for all those holidays,family get togethers etc....I think how much times flies,how things change before you know it,and how much I take for granted my life.I want to be a little girl again,and have no cares in the world.This is even  before I go back to the UK soon. ::)

So I think no matter where you live,you will miss the past at times.It just is harder when you do live so far from home and arent able to have those small things like Scotch tape or Twinkies or any other US products that you love so much.

We are here to support each other through the good and bad.(((Hugs))) are always free  ;)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 04:28:09 PM »
Whenever you start feeling down or "homesick" try to put a different spin on it.  Such as...think about the fact that you'll never ever have to worry about running into an "ex" or a "former best friend" or that teacher you had in 9th grade who you couldn't stand or even that creepy guy at the grocery store you were *positive* was stalking you... :o

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 10:15:11 PM »
Thanks everyone!! l do feel much better today!

It's funny that sometimes it's just a fleeting homesick moment then all of a sudden you get back to life.

l was driving to work today and the route l take is through some curvy roads and all of a sudden l came upon some gorgeous scenery and thought to myself, how in the world could l ever leave this land! Sheesh l sure do confuse myself every now and again!! lol  ::)

Peedal, is this some experiences you had?  :)

My dearest friends always know that we are here for all of you, Any time, Any where!!! Thank you all!!  :-*

Sponsored Links