Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to use non mixer taps  (Read 5808 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
How to use non mixer taps
« on: May 15, 2008, 11:06:02 PM »
I hope this is helpful.  I am posting this after a request, and despite the very flippant tone, I am not trying to take the pi$$...

There are four ways I have identified that one can wash using non-mixer taps -

1) Fill the sink using a mix of hot and cold water, and use that water to wet the soap then rinse

2) Use a flannel, having soaked it in a mix of hot and cold water

3) Turn both taps on and mix the water in your hands, taking care to use cold water first to avoid scalding

4) Just use the hot tap.  Most of the time, unless you have exceptionally good heating, the water will be cold when it first comes out of the hot tap and will gradually get warmer.  In this case, you can effectively pretend that the hot water tap is a mixer tap, and all will be well with the world!

Please feel free to add or amend.

Vicky

• Liked: 0
Re: How to use non mixer taps
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:08:58 PM »
Thank you!!!  :-* I know it probably seems obvious, but it's not.  :-[

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:11:01 PM »
LOL! That's great!

But when I lived in the UK I had to share the sink with three people, including two guys who weren't too good about washing out the sink after they shaved (yuk!) so #1 wasn't an option, unless I wanted to clean the sink first. I usually went with #2 for washing my face and #4 for washing hands.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:13:54 PM »
Hahahahahaa!!! Genius Vicky!  :D

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:20:40 PM »
Go Vicky!!  :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 02:06:36 AM »
Also if  it's really annoying and you can do it.. buy and install a mixer tap.  I have to admit to washing my face using the bath tap on more than one occasion because it was a mixer tap.  (I had my FIL in the house and was not about to use the sink after him...YUCK!)
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 07:21:30 AM »
Just to be contrary, I mostly just use the cold tap!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 08:23:12 AM »
To wash hair - if you don't have access to (or don't want to use) a shower.

Turn on both taps.
Fill a cup with a mixture of hot and cold water.
Poor water from cup over head to wet hair.
Repeat to rinse shampoo and conditioner off hair.

Alternatively, you can  use hot water only if it isn't uncomfortably hot when it first comes out of the tap, or use hot water only and wait for it to cool down.

• Odd Duck
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 08:28:47 AM »
Just wanted to add a note about watching out for taps that look like mixer taps but aren't--instead of being mixed, the water comes out of two separate holes in the one tap. Our kitchen tap is this way, and our water is very hot, which means that it's easy to scald yourself either on the non-mixed water or on the top of the tap.

I find this arrangement worse than a traditional non-mixer tap, actually!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:13:55 AM »
Just wanted to add a note about watching out for taps that look like mixer taps but aren't--instead of being mixed, the water comes out of two separate holes in the one tap. Our kitchen tap is this way, and our water is very hot, which means that it's easy to scald yourself either on the non-mixed water or on the top of the tap.

I find this arrangement worse than a traditional non-mixer tap, actually!

This is how the tap on our bath is.  I hate it.  Well, I did hate it - the boiler hasn't worked in months so no hot water anyway...!  We're getting that fixed next week and replacing the bath tap at the same time.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 09:18:46 AM »
our water is very hot, which means that it's easy to scald yourself either on the non-mixed water or on the top of the tap.

your water doesn't need to be scaldingly hot... if it is, it's easy enough to adjust the temperature on your boiler.   :)

• Odd Duck
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:21:34 AM »
your water doesn't need to be scaldingly hot... if it is, it's easy enough to adjust the temperature on your boiler.   :)
We've tried--the adjustment knob is stuck.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »
We've tried--the adjustment knob is stuck.

you probably dont want to mess with getting the boiler adjustment knob repaired if you're moving, so here's hoping that in your new house you wont have this problem!

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 11:08:49 AM »

[MOD NOTE]

All discussion has been moved here: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=45863.0  Please remember that Just Do It is a place for 'How To' type topics not debates, discussion or complaints. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab