Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things about the USA your UK spouse should know.  (Read 58761 times)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: Things about the USA your UK spouse should know.
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2005, 06:47:37 PM »
Yeah I've usually gotten free tap water if I've asked for 'tap water' (can't recall being charged for tap water) -- and vnicepeeps is right, you'll want to ask (nicely) for ice if you want ice.

If you just order 'water' in the restaurant, they will likely assume you are ordering bottled water -- which generally begs the typical question 'Fizzy or still?'  (Or 'gas or still?'  Tap water isn't usually part of the 'choice' offered - but they obviously have it. :))
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• UKY - In Training...
    • Shoot With Personality
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2005, 06:58:29 PM »
I wasn't expecting Evian for free :)

We just happen to have exceptionally nice water up in the big city of Memphis (artesian wells or something) and so the water's actually pretty good up there. I guess in most US restaurants, if you wanted bottled rather than tap water, you'd have to ask for it specifically (which is the opposite of how it'd be in the UK?)

I don't take ice in my Diet Coke (I'm not a big fan of ice), but it comes out of the fountain really cold over here.
Heart x Soul = Rock'n'Roll • Shoot With PersonalityFlickr

• Then things got just plain Silly!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2005, 06:09:54 AM »
Huh, after reading this I thought about it, and I did get bottled water when I ordered water with a meal at least once when visiting England. I never really paid much attention.....  ::) I'll have to make a mental note of that, and try to pull it out in the future and see if I remember to ask for tap water  ;D
All dreams can come true—if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

I can't change the direction of the wind, I can however adjust my sails to always make it to my destination.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2005, 11:42:05 AM »
I had no idea about the north-south interstates being odd numbers and east-west being even, that's a great factoid.

When the Interstates were built they were also numbered the opposite way around  to the defense highway network.   So for odd-numbered N-S routes, the numbers on U.S. highways start low in the east and get higher as you go west, for Interstates they start low in the west and go up as you move east.   Ditto for even-numbered E-W routes where U.S. highways are numbered from the north, Interstates from the south.

Branches from an Interstate take a 3-digit number in which the second and third digits are taken from the main number, e.g.  I-275 is a branch from I-75.    In general, if the extra digit at the beginning is odd it indicates a spur which just runs into a city or area.  An even number indicates a through or bypass route (e.g. In Fla. I-275 branches off I-75, runs through Tampa and St. Petersburg and rejoins I-75 south of Tampa Bay).

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2005, 01:33:22 PM »
I would amend my earlier posts with a further caveat... ;)  I have never paid for tap water (that I can recall) in a regular, sit-down (where they wait on you) restaurant over here.  However, if you're in a 'free refill' place that's giving you a cup for your drink & you fill it up yourself from the fountain in the store -- then indeed you might find yourself paying for tap water (so you might as well have soda with free refills!).  Hubby & I don't usually get drinks when we're at Subway, etc 'cause we're on the run at those times & just don't bother with a drink until we get back to work, home, or wherever.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2005, 06:04:25 PM »
A few technical points I've had to explain to fellow Brits on more than one occasion:

*  No, the light switches in your U.S. motel room had not been installed upside down -- Up for on is standard in North America.

*  No, the majority of electrical outlets have neither switches nor shutters, and no that does not mean that they are dangerous and that Americans are being electrocuted by the hundreds because of it.

*  You will find both a hue and a saturation control for the color on the TV, not just the latter as in Britain.

*  Yes, radio and TV stations really do use those "funny" call letters; they are an FCC requirement.   As a general guide, stations east of the Mississippi have calls starting with W, those to west start with K, but there are exceptions.
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2006, 01:47:49 PM »
I think one of the biggest things coming to the US ( which should really be told on the plane coming over) is;

If you have a cop behind you, flashing you down....DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR !!!  Pull over, place your hand where they can be visably seen and wait for them to come to you.

We moved over to the US 5 years ago and did not realise this was the correct way, we could have quite easily have got out of the car and have been heading for the stars, especially if we had wanted to give the cop a copy of our drivers license from our pocket !!

Also, dont ask anyone where the "Queue" is, they will look at you funny, LOL !!!

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2006, 04:49:57 PM »
I think one of the biggest things coming to the US ( which should really be told on the plane coming over) is;

If you have a cop behind you, flashing you down....DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR !!!  Pull over, place your hand where they can be visably seen and wait for them to come to you.

We moved over to the US 5 years ago and did not realise this was the correct way, we could have quite easily have got out of the car and have been heading for the stars, especially if we had wanted to give the cop a copy of our drivers license from our pocket !!

Also, dont ask anyone where the "Queue" is, they will look at you funny, LOL !!!

Ooh that could have gotten nasty! :O

Well, I wish I would have known when I came here that NOBODY understands me when I tell them what my name is! Its crazy!

I dont have a difficult name, my name is Rob. But 9 times out of 10 I get a blank look when I tell someone my name. Then they repeat it to themselves outloud, sounding out "Rohhhb". One chick even thought I said my name was Rump!

I guess the American way of pronouncing rob is 'RAB' ;)

« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2006, 03:42:47 AM »
If  you're in Florida 11 months out of the year, PUT ON SUN BLOCK. Not the factor 5 you brought with you, buy some SPF 30 or higher. You're pale British skin will turn a lovely lobster color in a matter of minutes without it.

Open alcohol containers ARE NOT allowed ANYWHERE in your car (whether you're driving or not). And open containers of alcohol are also usually not allowed on the streets.
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2006, 06:04:03 PM »
If  you're in Florida 11 months out of the year, PUT ON SUN BLOCK. Not the factor 5 you brought with you, buy some SPF 30 or higher. You're pale British skin will turn a lovely lobster color in a matter of minutes without it. 

And if you're going to the beach - don't forget to put sunblock on the tops of your feet!  (A painful lesson that my DH once learned there...) ;) :)

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2006, 06:51:59 PM »

Open alcohol containers ARE NOT allowed ANYWHERE in your car (whether you're driving or not). And open containers of alcohol are also usually not allowed on the streets.

Except in South Louisiana where they have drive-up daquiri shops! But, it's considered an open container if the straw has been put into the cup.  ::)
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2006, 07:19:26 PM »
Except in South Louisiana where they have drive-up daquiri shops! But, it's considered an open container if the straw has been put into the cup.  ::)

Good point lol. I was shocked when a friend of my H's told me that passengers could drink in the car in the UK  :o
Juls xx

« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2006, 07:22:07 PM »
And if you're going to the beach - don't forget to put sunblock on the tops of your feet!  (A painful lesson that my DH once learned there...) ;) :)

Ouch yeah, good point. Actually anywhere in Florida you should use sunscreen 11 months out for the year lol. In my wedding pictures my FIL looks like a lobster because he didn't put on enough sun screen (and it was 96F and sunny on the day)  ::)
Juls xx

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2007, 04:18:47 PM »
Dr's. appts last more than 10 minutes
Any dental work will cost you a small fortune.
All you can eat buffets are everywhere. Golden Corral is my favorite
Theres a church on every corner.
Our Showers are much better
Refrigerators are much bigger... as is most everything..including our waistlines.lol

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2007, 11:03:38 AM »
basements "cellars" are common in most houses and often are an extension of the house including extra bedrooms, playrooms or extra den area or laundry area. My cousin has such a big basement that she has 3 bedrooms and a full bathroom down there with room for another 2 bedrooms if she wants!
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

Sponsored Links