Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: should you be able to vote in UK elections  (Read 3962 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
should you be able to vote in UK elections
« on: December 20, 2002, 10:04:19 PM »
As a legal visa holding resident in the UK, a member of the community, employed, paying taxes, raising kids, useing and paying for the facilities, contributing to the country's culture, future and presumably with pretty much the same freedoms as UK Natives, should you or would you like to be able to vote in UK National and Local Elections.

8) ??? :)
Married with a daughter of 21 years.  Former film/video tape editor, now retired. London born and bred.

• What's YaBB 1G - SP1?
Re: should you be able to vote in UK elections
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2002, 01:43:09 AM »
As a legal visa holding resident in the UK, a member of the community, employed, paying taxes, raising kids, useing and paying for the facilities, contributing to the country's culture, future and presumably with pretty much the same freedoms as UK Natives, should you or would you like to be able to vote in UK National and Local Elections.
8) ??? :)

Yes I would!!! David Blunkett for Prime Minister!

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2002, 07:58:30 PM »
Quite honestly no.  Sure, it'd be nice to have a voice in a community that you're part of but I've always felt voting was the ultimate privledge. Something that only card carrying citizens should have.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2002, 11:24:31 PM »
Quite honestly no.  Sure, it'd be nice to have a voice in a community that you're part of but I've always felt voting was the ultimate privledge. Something that only card carrying citizens should have.

Except, the thing is, that some people who are citizens live abroad, don't pay taxes, don't pay national insurance, don't know the issues or the candidates, don't use the schools, health service, etc.  And they can vote.  Which does bother me since I can't.  Unless of course I ever got round to looking into being a citizen.   ;)  Which knowing me, I never will.  

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2002, 05:16:42 PM »

Except, the thing is, that some people who are citizens live abroad, don't pay taxes, don't pay national insurance, don't know the issues or the candidates, don't use the schools, health service, etc.  And they can vote.  Which does bother me since I can't.    

I agree.
Im also thinking the same about US Citizens living abroad who do their proxy vote in US elections.  I dont think that should be allowed either.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2002, 07:06:16 PM »
Which is why I don't vote in US elections.

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2002, 07:28:26 PM »
One of the reasons I posed this question, is that Irish Nationals, that is people from the Republic, have the same free and equal rights as UK Natives.  They can come and go as they please, make full use of all social and welfare benefits and vote in Uk elections.
I don't have have a problem with that. It just seems to me that it's quite natural for all residents to be able to vote if they want to.
Married with a daughter of 21 years.  Former film/video tape editor, now retired. London born and bred.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2003, 10:37:27 AM »
One of the reasons I posed this question, is that Irish Nationals, that is people from the Republic, have the same free and equal rights as UK Natives.  They can come and go as they please, make full use of all social and welfare benefits and vote in Uk elections.
I don't have have a problem with that. It just seems to me that it's quite natural for all residents to be able to vote if they want to.

Do you mean Eire or Northern Ireland?  Citizens of Northern Ireland can (and do) vote in the General Election, but citizens of Eire cannot.  Citizens of the UK don't vote in the elections in Eire.  Eire isn't part of the UK.  

Here's a question - should British Nationals living in the US (pay their taxes, etc. - but aren't citizens) have the right to vote in elections in the US?

Just curious.
In the event of an emergency, put your head between your knees and kiss your butt goodbye!

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2003, 03:49:03 PM »
Peaches  ===   Irish ,  that is people from Eire with an Irish passport and citzenship and who live and work in the UK are entitle to the same voting rights as English, Welsh and Scots.
The have 100% equality in all things..

• Liked: 24
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2003, 04:55:21 PM »
Interesting question. I don't believe someone should be able to vote just for being a resident. I will get my citizenship within the next couple of years, and even then I'll feel a bit strange about voting here I think. It only takes 3 years to be able to apply for citizenship, if one wants to vote, it's a short wait.

As for people voting absentee, I don't think it's fair to say that none of them would understand the issues or candidates or whatever. I'm sure there are many resident citizens who don't understand the issues and cast a vote. In this day and age, it is not difficult to research the candidates from abroad and cast an intelligent vote. Since when is first hand knowledge required for a citizen to vote? It's not required to be a candidate, lol. I wouldn't bother in my home county/city's local elections, but I would for state and federal elections. (That said, I did not take part in the last election because I didn't get my registration done.) If you make enough money here, you will be paying federal taxes (and you'll be entitled to collect social security on retirement I believe). Do you want to tell the ones who are paying taxes they have no right to vote anymore? Are you going to say that only those paying taxes can vote? Only the higher income absentees will be voting then, hardly fair.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2003, 06:53:42 PM »
To turn the question on its head, would you like non-citizen visa holders living in the US voting in US elections?  I think not!

To vote in elections you should have to show a greater commitment to the interests and future of a country than merely hold a visa to live there - by implication, visa holders are intending to to return to their home country sooner or later.
Richard

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2003, 07:20:01 PM »
For me, it's a personal decision,  I don't feel I should be voting in elections where I don't live, know the issues or pay taxes.  Other people may feel differently.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2003, 07:21:57 PM »
To turn the question on its head, would you like non-citizen visa holders living in the US voting in US elections?  I think not!

Well, actually yes I do.  
To vote in elections you should have to show a greater commitment to the interests and future of a country than merely hold a visa to live there - by implication, visa holders are intending to to return to their home country sooner or later.

Certainly not in my case.  I'm probably here for good.  Citizen or not.  

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2003, 07:36:15 PM »

I agree.
Im also thinking the same about US Citizens living abroad who do their proxy vote in US elections.  I dont think that should be allowed either.

Can't agree with you there. I think that even though it may be slightly more difficult to know the issues back home, you have a duty to try. If you're a citizen of a country, then vote. If you're not a citizen - no vote.

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2003, 10:10:57 PM »
A range of opinions, all honestly given.  My own feelings are,  that if anyone has made a commitment to another country, resident via marriage, long term job for example,  then after a set number of years voting rights could easily be allowed.
Leah mentioned that citizenship of the UK can be given after 3 years.  Maybe after 5 years voting rights could be offered to other residents if wanted.
Mr. Val reversed the question,  bit sneaky that,   ;D    should visa holders vote in USA elections. I suggest that perhaps a similar voting criteria could apply.  Having said that though,  is it true that in America nearly all positions of public office, from the very top, right down to local dog catcher are voted for. That could be mighty confusing for those not used too it  .......    :-[ ::) :-X

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab