Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why does my kitten lick my ears?  (Read 20262 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 0
Why does my kitten lick my ears?
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:50:45 AM »
Seriously...we have a 14-15 wk old kitten....who most of the time is hectic...But once in a while she is really loving. Which is cool. But she climbs all over me...and goes straight for my ears.....currently I am hiding my head inside my hoodie....cause she is trying to get at my ears.
Will some one please tell me why she does this? She does alot of things I don't understand.
Does anyone know a good website for cat behavior?

Thanks

Re: Why does my kitten lick my ears?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:58:21 AM »
You're lucky.. a friend's cat used to go straight for nipples.  Are your ears dirty?  (joking)

Ask your vet about it, but it doesn't sound serious.  A lot of weird behavior comes from being weaned too early.. or too early from the kitten's point of view. 

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:20:01 AM »
My cat used to lick my ears when he was little but hes grown out of it.  Cats do alot of weird things, this is just one of your cats weird things, but it will probably grow out of this one.

My cat likes to dig and pretend to bury his food after he eats.. he even buries my cereal bowls if i leave one on the floor for too long. Dont know why he does it, but its just his thing.... so i let it go.  :P

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:49:20 AM »
My cat is a toe-licker. ???

• Liked: 12
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:18:44 PM »
My kitten licks my face. I've actually been woken up a few times by his rough tongue licking on my chin in the middle of the night. I'm not too worried about it though. Every cat is quirky in some way or another. :)
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »
I've always had a cat so I've been around quite a few kittens and this isn't uncommon.  Like Chrissy said they'll grow out of it and your biggest worry is trying to not go crazy because of it.  It's the worst when it's at night too.  One of my kittens liked to lick my eyelids in the middle of the night.  It was awful!!  I finally resorted to wearing an eye-mask at night, but I'd often take it off in my sleep and the kitten would be back. ;)

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:56:21 PM »
My cat liked to give kisses. She used to do my face a lot, but I kept pushing her away when she did that, but pet her if she did my arms or something. That way she knew it was ok to show the affection, but that I didn't like it on my face. It took her a little bit, but she hasn't liked my face in years.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 08:09:29 PM »
I think earwax tastes similar to catfood.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 08:14:24 PM »
One of my cats likes to lick my hair - which is cute but annoying because cats' tongues are spiky, and when they lick your hair it really pulls it.... Anyway, he mainly does it when he wants something (his food bowl is empty, he wants love & attention, etc).

This sort of thing is very normal for kittens - don't worry about it as it will probably stop or at least slow down as he grows up.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »

Because she loves you.

Awwwww.

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 09:27:37 PM »
It took her a little bit, but she hasn't liked my face in years.
How awful! ;)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 09:54:51 PM »
My cat likes to smell my eyes. She doesn't lick them or anything, just sniffs. It's pretty freaky when you wake up in the middle of the night with your cat's nose in your eye.

• Falling Into Infinity
    • www.dreamtheater.net
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 04:05:41 PM »
lol bmore that's funny! I just imagined that.
My old cat never outgrew suckleing. he used to climb up on our laps and suck on our shirts! We called him Sucky as a nickname lol. Most likely because he was taken away from his mom early, he was a stray.
As for your ears, I just find cats weird. I love animals, but I prefer dogs over cats! I hate litterboxes! (this is not starting a cat vs. dog war!)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 04:17:36 PM »
My younger cat used to suck on my older cat's toes as if they were nipples. The older cat's toes were always wet, sticky and matted from being sucked on; it looked like he had a skin disease.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 04:25:25 PM »
It's normal. As said, it's part of the nursing thing. But she may not grow out of it. I've had one cat that nuzzled and purred until the day he died. I have a cat now who is obsessed with my hair and neck and purrs so much she drools (lovely!). She's about 4 now and no sign of stopping!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab