Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What food are you craving right now?  (Read 152451 times)

• Liked: 1893
Re: What food are you craving right now?
« Reply #2250 on: August 15, 2019, 10:05:53 PM »

• Liked: 958
« Reply #2251 on: August 15, 2019, 10:12:40 PM »
Yum!

Now I want pie....

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2252 on: August 16, 2019, 09:38:28 AM »
Leftover dark meat Thanksgiving turkey.

We've done turkey breast crowns for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year since I moved over here.  One of those is enough for my husband and I to each have a few slices of white meat on Thanksgiving, and I make some wraps with the leftovers the next day or two.  But, of course, there's no dark meat in a breast.  And there's not enough fat/flavour in it to make proper gravy.  It's just so blah.  I miss having a big jug of leftover gravy and giant plastic containers full of all the leftover meat in the fridge.  My dad would clean the edible bits off of the bones after the big meal... he would even separate the white meat and the dark meat.  And I would have a few days of shredding bits of dark meat, scooping out a lump of the congealed gravy, zapping it in the microwave, and stirring my concoction of lush.

Anyway, on Wednesday, I slow-roasted a pork shoulder in the slow-cooker.  I added a few herbs and spices, but not too much, and I poured about a can of Coke on it.  Ten hours later, it was amazing, of course.  The subtle seasoning was really nice.  Yesterday, we were having the leftovers as BBQ pulled pork, but before I started to reheat it, I nibbled on a few chunks of cold pork, and it kind of reminded me of leftover Thanksgiving turkey, and now I really really want that.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #2253 on: August 19, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »
Oooh Pumpkin Pie Blizzard. Yes, please. 

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 680
« Reply #2254 on: August 19, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »
Ya know, I'd really like a slab of carne asada, some Mexican rice, and the fresh flour tortillas made by the tortilla ladies at the Old Town Mexican Cafe in San Diego. And a Margarita. I haven't had one of those in maybe 15 years (and I can't now), but it would all be really very nice to be sitting on the nice patio in the shade, with the warm breeze rustling in the palm trees, and the food, with an alcoholic buzz on and the Mariachi band playing down the way, watching the tourists go by outside.... sigh.

Sometimes I really do miss "home."  :-\\\\

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:43:26 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 111
« Reply #2255 on: August 19, 2019, 11:10:44 PM »
Ya know, I'd really like a slab of carne asada, some Mexican rice, and the fresh flour tortillas made by the tortilla ladies at the Old Town Mexican Cafe in San Diego. And a Margarita. I haven't had one of those in maybe 15 years (and I can't now), but it would all be really very nice to be sitting on the nice patio in the shade, with the warm breeze rustling in the palm trees, and the food, with an alcoholic buzz on and the Mariachi band playing down the way, watching the tourists go by outside.... sigh.

Sometimes I really do miss "home."  :-\\\\

I live in Houston now but my hometown is El Paso.
No one in the UK or even Houston can make food as good as home so I simply don't try looking for it. I just fill myself with that goodness (it's simply ”food” where I'm from) whenever I visit home.

The link with the mariachi is very nice. My father was a professional singer and multi-instrumentalist from the age of 15 in Mexico. When he moved to El Paso in 1960, he specialized in mariachi music and fronted a group and eventually owned his own mariachi in El Paso. He was a mariachi from 1951 until his the week before his death in 2011. Those were sixty wonderful years.

I feel you on missing Mexican-American culture and I live here.

I suppose that a non-alcoholic margarita, an Old El Paso taco kit, a space heater, Mariachi Vargas on Youtube and a lamp on your face and your memories will have to suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 680
« Reply #2256 on: August 20, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
I live in Houston now but my hometown is El Paso.
No one in the UK or even Houston can make food as good as home so I simply don't try looking for it. I just fill myself with that goodness (it's simply ”food” where I'm from) whenever I visit home.

The link with the mariachi is very nice. My father was a professional singer and multi-instrumentalist from the age of 15 in Mexico. When he moved to El Paso in 1960, he specialized in mariachi music and fronted a group and eventually owned his own mariachi in El Paso. He was a mariachi from 1951 until his the week before his death in 2011. Those were sixty wonderful years.

I feel you on missing Mexican-American culture and I live here.

I suppose that a non-alcoholic margarita, an Old El Paso taco kit, a space heater, Mariachi Vargas on Youtube and a lamp on your face and your memories will have to suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'll just have to cherish the memories.  ;) ;)  Although the Old El Paso fajitas kit is interesting, not quite "it".  :( :(  ;)

Seriously. There are days when if it just wasn't so damned expensive to live there, I think I'd go back. Just for something familiar. Given that the rents have gone up by a good $700-1,000 a month since we left, it looks like we ain't going to be goin back there permanently, ever.  8)  I'm not sure we'll even make it back for a 'vacation' since there's no reason other than "being" there to go there anymore. The Daughter said that was one of the best things about our trip back to LA last Spring, though. Getting off the plane and hearing people speaking Mexican, and then being able to find taco shops again. We did find Mexican radio stations out of LA on the Roku, though, and quite often do have it blasting. Thankfully our nearest neighbor is from LA (an odd coincidence there!) but I bet the rest of them just wonder....

Cool about your dad! I love Mariachi music. I threatened the Daughter that I was going to hire a band on her 21st birthday and have them follow her around on the community college campus. And almost did it, but the guys I knew were booked up that day.  ;D

She'd have killed me in my sleep over that one.  8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 06:00:15 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #2257 on: August 20, 2019, 11:45:03 PM »
I visited with my neighbour this afternoon, and she gave me some food from her garden.  And... after the things she offered, I asked, rather cheekily, if I might also have a tomato from her greenhouse... she kept offering the ones that were nearly ripe, and I was all, "umm... if you don't mind, I'd like that one", as I pointed at this perfect green beauty at the far end.  And she gave it to me!  So tomorrow night, I'm going to slice it, batter it, and fry it to perfection!  I hope.  I've never made fried green tomatoes before, so I'm a little worried I'll mess this up.  But I am going to try!

• Liked: 770
« Reply #2258 on: August 21, 2019, 12:14:48 AM »
I visited with my neighbour this afternoon, and she gave me some food from her garden.  And... after the things she offered, I asked, rather cheekily, if I might also have a tomato from her greenhouse... she kept offering the ones that were nearly ripe, and I was all, "umm... if you don't mind, I'd like that one", as I pointed at this perfect green beauty at the far end.  And she gave it to me!  So tomorrow night, I'm going to slice it, batter it, and fry it to perfection!  I hope.  I've never made fried green tomatoes before, so I'm a little worried I'll mess this up.  But I am going to try!
Are you going to use cornmeal?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2259 on: August 21, 2019, 08:16:25 AM »
Are you going to use cornmeal?

Yes.  I'm planning to use a recipe from Southern Living, unless someone has a better one...

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/fried-green-tomatoes

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #2260 on: August 21, 2019, 09:03:24 AM »
Yes.  I'm planning to use a recipe from Southern Living, unless someone has a better one...

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/fried-green-tomatoes

Perfection!!

Please post pics after  :D
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #2261 on: August 21, 2019, 09:05:41 AM »
Perfection!!

Please post pics after  :D

Will do!  I'm only sorry I didn't get super cheeky and ask for several tomatoes.  They were so beautiful and green.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #2262 on: August 21, 2019, 09:06:47 AM »
Maybe she can give you some at the end of the season that haven't ripened  :)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #2263 on: August 21, 2019, 09:08:22 AM »
Will do!  I'm only sorry I didn't get super cheeky and ask for several tomatoes.  They were so beautiful and green.

You should grow your own next year!  :D

« Reply #2264 on: August 21, 2019, 09:14:34 AM »
You should grow your own next year!  :D

I'm so keen to do this!  While my inlaws were here on Sunday, my husband reiterated our plan to put a greenhouse at the back of the stableyard.  It might not be by next year, though...  ::)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab