Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Spouse visa query  (Read 597 times)

• Liked: 0
UK Spouse visa query
« on: September 24, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me! I have a question in regards to the UK Spouse visa for my American wife. I have just left University and have a full time job offer for a job due to start mid October. Would this job offer, coupled with £2000 in savings be enough for approval? Along with all of the other required documents of course!

Thanks for any help!  8)

edit: I'm a British citizen hoping to be the sponsor for my wifes visa.

Re: UK Spouse visa query
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:02:22 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me! I have a question in regards to the UK Spouse visa for my American wife. I have just left University and have a full time job offer for a job due to start mid October. Would this job offer, coupled with £2000 in savings be enough for approval? Along with all of the other required documents of course!

Thanks for any help!  8)

edit: I'm a British citizen hoping to be the sponsor for my wifes visa.

We applied in July, 2 months after my British husband finished university- he had just started a full time job @ £17K/year, and we had very little savings (I was working in the UK as well, but in a contract that was due to end a month after we applied for the visa so my income didn't really "count".)  We were approved very quickly, such a relief! Obviously, in your case it'll depend on your specific financial position (ie, how much your salary will be versus how much your expenses are), but the circumstances in and of themselves certainly shouldn't present a huge barrier to getting the visa. Draw up a budget and see where you stand, that's always a good starting point. Good luck!
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:50:08 PM »
RIGHTYO, the only cavaat I would add if not about the financial test that you ask about, but about the accommodation test, which is rather linked!

In short, how much are your housing costs per month? Rent? Or mortgage?
John

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:54:53 AM »
Hey thanks for the replies,

I'll be staying at my parents place initially, where i'll be paying the going rate for a room in my area, which is around £80 per week, so my housing costs would be £320 per month. Also, the salary for the job will be £16.5k per year to begin with.

Really what i'd love to know is, aslong as the job offer along with a budget show that my wife won't rely on public funds, will it be ok?

Thanks again for any help!

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:44:56 PM »
Hey thanks for the replies,

I'll be staying at my parents place initially, where I'll be paying the going rate for a room in my area, which is around £80 per week, so my housing costs would be £320 per month. Also, the salary for the job will be £16.5k per year to begin with.

Really what I'd love to know is, as long as the job offer along with a budget show that my wife won't rely on public funds, will it be OK?

Thanks again for any help!

RIGHTYO,

Your numbers sound like the numbers that we had when I did my application. Our rent at that time was £350 and incoming was approx £17K pa from my husband. What really helped ours (IMO) is that I am a university grad and worked in social service and was asked by the consulate when they phoned me what I planned on doing once I reached the UK and I responded by saying 'I have always worked to support myself and will do so even if it means taking a job in a field such as retail.' Which was the truth. What I didn't tell them was I was 7 months pregnant and wouldn't be doing it right away. So, your budget looks fine, I think it was something like £90 odd per week extra income above expenses to be approved.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:07:25 PM »
Thanks alot WebyJ!

Do you mind if i ask how much savings you had when you applied?

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:54:08 PM »
You should be fine, but I would definitely include a budget and an explanation of everything you've stated here (new job offer, what you'll pay for rent at your parents place etc etc). Just wanted to say I just got my ILR - I was unemployed at the time, my husband makes less than your starting salary, and we live with my inlaws...so it can happen. I'd also include your wife's resume/cv and any job references to prove that she is employable and intends to work in the UK when she legally can.
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab