Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: uk border force on sky1  (Read 793 times)

• Liked: 0
uk border force on sky1
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:45:28 PM »
you have to watch it , it is tomoro night at 9 on sky one!
i watched it on saturday night i think it was at 9 or 10 pm .
has anyone watched it ?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:02:31 PM by moon »

• Liked: 2
Re: uk border force on sky1
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:57:21 PM »
I have I liked it.  ;D  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• JennyI
  • A Stranger in a Strange Land

• Obamarama
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 10:09:08 PM »
Yep I have it on Series Link. Its pretty interesting. I thought that gamer kid that was coming to see his ''girlfriend'' was going to get sent back but glad they let him in, I guess. Wouldnt be surprised if he overstays.
Good things come to those who wait...a really long time.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 09:02:57 AM »
I also think it is a good series, but as regards one aspect in this week's programme, I was amazed at the lack of staff training of one of the immigration officers.

Person questioned .... it seems that he had a 5-year Residence Card, issued under EEA regulations .... the expiry date shown on that had passed ...... immigration officer concludes "he is an overstayer"!

Just totally amazed that people doing what is admittedly a difficult job really don't seem up to speed as regards the EEA/EU regulations that came into force on 30.04.06. They have had over two years to get their heads around this legislation ... and appear to be failing miserably.
John

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »
Yes, I have enjoyed the series quite a lot...

I would think it should be required watching for 1/2 the people coming over here from the States.  It would give you a few of the tougher parts of the journey, at least the Entry Clearance stuff at the Airports.  It maybe skews opinion though on how many people cheat the system, but it appears to be some rather interesting ones (guy couldn't remember his name or when he was born).
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »
yea it is a good program:)

i do feel sorry for these ppl who come in through an agency claiming that they have work for them . they give them really bad salaries and treat them really badly . then the authorities find out and kick them out. i think the agency/ boss should not only be fined, they should lock them up for exploiting needy ppl from abroad!!! then name and shame them!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 01:51:43 PM »
I also think it is a good series, but as regards one aspect in this week's programme, I was amazed at the lack of staff training of one of the immigration officers.

Person questioned .... it seems that he had a 5-year Residence Card, issued under EEA regulations .... the expiry date shown on that had passed ...... immigration officer concludes "he is an overstayer"!

Just totally amazed that people doing what is admittedly a difficult job really don't seem up to speed as regards the EEA/EU regulations that came into force on 30.04.06. They have had over two years to get their heads around this legislation ... and appear to be failing miserably.

John, I noticed the same thing! 

The whole immigration thing with going to the tube stations made me a bit uncomfortable. They said they look for people "acting suspisious", but in all honesty, I really do wonder how many white people they actually stop.  I mean, on the show, they stopped a Nigerian, and a couple of Indians. I just don't really agree with it, stopping someone randomly at least in small part because they "look" foreign. (Only my opinion though) It would be interesting to see the actual numbers.
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 11:32:38 AM »

The whole immigration thing with going to the tube stations made me a bit uncomfortable. They said they look for people "acting suspisious", but in all honesty, I really do wonder how many white people they actually stop.  I mean, on the show, they stopped a Nigerian, and a couple of Indians. I just don't really agree with it, stopping someone randomly at least in small part because they "look" foreign. (Only my opinion though) It would be interesting to see the actual numbers.

I felt the same way when I watched an episode last week.  Especially because one of the officers said someone was "acting suspicious" because the officer stood in front of him and he walked in one direction and the suspect walked in the other to go around him.  Who doesn't do the same thing when someone is standing in their way?   ??? 

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 10:59:20 PM »
I watched the latest episode earlier. At least this week no glaring errors from the UKBA officers.

I had to laugh, the person who thought the job they were going to be doing was feeding chickens, when in fact it was cutting them up into pieces! ::)

And all those people in that factory claiming to be Romanian who did not know the capital of "their" country, or the name of the currency of Romania! Or what countries (there are 5) that border on to Romania .... nice question I thought!

Great the £60000 penalty imposed on the employer ..... they got off lightly.
John

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 12:14:03 AM »
yea i watched that one too john! it was so funny when that guy insisted he is romanian and then they handed him over to a translator, and all he said was juberish!! tak tak tok shshsh juik !!! ding dang dong...
lol then it turns out to be he was talkin non sense . meaning he was not romanian !! hahaha

one question though , about calias immigration checks. what do they do with the ppl they catch in the lorries? do they hand them to the french authorities then they deport them? or what/? that must cost loadssssssssssssss to deport them all!!! they caught over 25 illegal immigrants in less than 2 hrs... omg that must cost thousands of pounds to send them back...

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 08:28:58 AM »
My understanding is that they hand them over to the French authorities, indeed I think that was said in the programme, but invariably the French just release them.

Thank goodness for those juxtaposed immigration controls!
John

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 10:51:16 AM »
oh thought i heard them say sth like taht , but i thought i understood is wrong, i cant beleive that the french release them!

what i dont understand is these illegal immigrants are already in the EU . they move to countries like france , belgium etc... then they decide to move to the uk  *their final destination* .
 but what is so appealing about it here that they still insist on moving to the uk ?
is it the langauge?
is it that the authorities are  too soft on them (quoting other ppl )
i cant figure it out....
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:57:11 AM by moon »

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 11:24:29 AM »
Perceived value of living in the UK and human trafficking...  I heard a programme on BBC Radio 4 talking to some North Africans about why they were making their way to the UK illegially.  There is a great "demand" to be in the UK, because of the perceived wealth, jobs, etc.

The French are a lot better then they used to be, where they used to drop illegals off at Dover or the Chunnel.  They used to round them up in the South of France and provide them free transport to the other end...

Also you will realise watching the show too, the vast majority of illegals in the UK get released while "awaiting their deportation" and never show up to be deported... funny that.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 11:37:50 AM »
A bit of history.

There was a terrible scandal in the late 1990's when it was uncovered that the French police were briefly detaining illegal immigrants to France and then shipping them on to the UK so that France wouldn't have to deal with them.  They were actually sneaking them into the backs of trucks and lorries and ferries and what-not just to be rid of them, and the UK was taking the brunt of it.

When this was uncovered, there was a *HORRIBLE* row with France (and properly so to my mind).  As a result, the asylum rules were changed so that a claimant could only claim in the first EU country he entered.  This caused lots of claimants to "lose" their identity documents before arriving in the UK, but that goes on to a different story.

The other result was an acceleration of the juxtaposed controls referred to by John.  They have been largely successful.

To your other question, the UK is often targeted because of the housing and income support and health care benefits.  Also because many people have at least some exposure to the English language.

To your last question, those caught by our juxtaposed controls are turned over to the local authorities who then release them unless they have committed a custodial offense.  

Based upon my own experience, I think the French authorities are still assisting some to get to the UK, but that is a massively informal viewpoint.

Sponsored Links