Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Applying for a fiance visa...I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a bunch...  (Read 781 times)

• dailydoseofash.blogspot.com
    • Daily Dose of Ash
  • Liked: 0
Hello everyone!
This is my first post, but I've been reading through posts and everyone seems very helpful and knowledgeable :)

Here's my deal...
I am an American going to university in Canada. My fiance is English and we met while he was on a one year work permit in Canada. He's now back in the UK and we spend as much time together as possible (lots of visits!  :)) Anyway, we got engaged in August and plan to marry 12 July 2009.

Here's where I need help...
I've read through a lot of the boards, but I got a bit confused and it made me anxious. I'm already nervous enough already so forgive me if this topic has already been started a thousand times before.
I have figured out that I need a fiance visa but a lot of the information I've found online is contradictory and confusing. How do I apply?! What do I need to apply? When should I apply? (I hope to leave May 09) Where do I apply?

After we are married, we intend to go on honeymoon it Italy for two weeks. When we return I will apply for FLR(M) but again, I know I need to do this but don't know how to go about it. Is there a straight forward website with information?

Also...
I intend to leave for England in May 09. If my fiance visa is valid for 6 months, does this mean I must have FLR(M) by November?

Lastly...
Basically can someone guide me (or point me to a website that can) on what I need to do to go to the UK next May for my wedding in July and (hopefully) to live there indefinitely.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Aug 2007 - Began relationship with DH while both in Canada
1 Aug 2008 - Got engaged
11 May 2009 - Fiancee Visa approved
17 May 2009 - Moved to the UK
12 July 2009 - Wedding Day!!!
21 Sep 2009 - FLR (M) approved in Liverpool

• Banned

• Liked: 4
If you are coming to England to marry in May then you should apply for the fiancee visa at leats two months (up to three) before then.  There are thousands of threads on here about fiancee visas, so just do a search.  Info is also on www.ukvisas.gov.uk

There is an issue, in that once married, you won't be able to leave the UK for your honeymoon.  You will have a fiancee visa, but will be married, so you could not re-enter on the fiancee visa.  You need to either wait until the FLR (M) has been approved, or honeymoon in the UK.  You must apply for FLR within six months of the date of issue of the fiancee visa.

Vicky

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
Hi Ashley,

Welcome to UKY!! I just responded to your PM before seeing your post here and I may just have answered most of your questions in that message (I hope).

Definitely read up on the UKVisa link Vicky sent and I sent another that is commonly referenced here as well. You'll find a lot more information as well if you do a search.

Good Luck!! xx
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• Liked: 2
If you are coming to England to marry in May then you should apply for the fiancee visa at leats two months (up to three) before then. 

Pardon me for piggybacking -- why two to three months? I'm reading a visa turnaround time of approximately 20 days at present...?

The closing date on my house is November 25, so I'm hoping to come over on the 26th. We're putting together the paperwork for my fiancee visa now and we were going to pick a wedding date as part of that. Really more or less pulling it out of a hat. I was pushing for sooner rather than later, just so I can get going on the FLR.

• My Blog
Pardon me for piggybacking -- why two to three months? I'm reading a visa turnaround time of approximately 20 days at present...?

The closing date on my house is November 25, so I'm hoping to come over on the 26th. We're putting together the paperwork for my fiancee visa now and we were going to pick a wedding date as part of that. Really more or less pulling it out of a hat. I was pushing for sooner rather than later, just so I can get going on the FLR.

It's best to plan for 2-3 months at this point as there has been quite an influx of apps and although the approximate timeline is 20 days at this point, many people have been going over that and it's better to be safe than sorry. I think too many people are making their travel plans first and then "winging it" on being able to get a visa in time. So, you just don't want to put it off until the last minute.

(At least I'm pretty certain this is what you meant, Vicky...please, correct me if I'm mistaken.)

**EDIT: Were you planning on using a courier, Stoatula?
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed

Yes, to the courier. And I'm checking around about short term housing, in case I don't get the visa by the 26th. I'm not making any hostages to fortune.

I'm a little jammed up: I can't apply until my buyer gets mortgage confirmation (hopefully later this week) and I'm stuck with that closing date.

On a happier note, can you BELIEVE I finally sold my house in the middle of this mess?

EDIT TO ADD: Oh, wait...courier. Do you mean a service? Like an actual human being to handle the documents? I was just thinking FedEx, or whatever.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:16:35 AM by Stoatula »

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Love My Brit is spot on.  There have been too many last minute panicking applications on here for my liking, so advising people to apply in plenty of time is just common sense. 

Remember that there are a whole bunch of new visa schemes about to roll out, and I would guess this would make the process slower come next year.

Vicky

• My Blog
The courier route will most likely be your best bet for a faster turnaround. Yes, I mean actual service (human being included)...since they walk your app in and generally find get it back same day or within a few days. Using FedEx or UPS or even USPS can overnight it and confirm when it was signed for, but they almost never "open it" on the same day it was signed for. Most are finding they get their consulate confirmation e-mails anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks+ of when it was actually signed for. Just depends on how patient you can be waiting for it in the mail. If I could have changed anything, I would have used a courier -- and I didn't have to wait nearly as long as the latest batch of people.

And it's good that you're creating a backup plan for the "what ifs." Just whatever you do, don't book your flight (or don't book a non-changeable/non-refundable one) until you have a valid visa IN HAND. I can't believe the amount of posts lately where people have made their travel arrangements before having their visas and they end up not having their visa in time.

Hope everything goes through with the closing. I worked in home loans for a while (before I got my teaching degree) and heard too many cases of closing dates getting pushed back further. Hope you get the news this week on the mrtg. confirmation though.

Good luck! xx
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed

Hope everything goes through with the closing. I worked in home loans for a while (before I got my teaching degree) and heard too many cases of closing dates getting pushed back further. Hope you get the news this week on the mrtg. confirmation though.

Good luck! xx

Thanks, LMB! My seller is getting a first-time buyer mortgage from the state, which is about as reliable as it gets in this market. I met him last night; he's the nicest kid. That helps take some of the sting out of the reaming I took on the price. Oof! All my savings went toward fixing the place up, and twenty years of equity went right out the window.

Still, if I've got two pennies to rub together, it's probably worth paying for some peace of mind. I'll look into a courier.

Sorry Ashley -- thread hijack over!

• Daily Dose of Ash
There is an issue, in that once married, you won't be able to leave the UK for your honeymoon.  You will have a fiancee visa, but will be married, so you could not re-enter on the fiancee visa.  You need to either wait until the FLR (M) has been approved, or honeymoon in the UK.  You must apply for FLR within six months of the date of issue of the fiancee visa.

I will still have time left over (out of the six month validity) on my fiancee visa after we are married. What will my status be in between getting married and approval of FLR (M)?

Once we are married I am unable to travel on the fiancee visa, even if it is within the valid time frame?
1 Aug 2008 - Got engaged

I'm afraid not. My understanding is, you can come and go on a fiancee visa until you get married. Then you can't go anywhere until you get the FLR. Ball and chain, indeed!  :)

• Daily Dose of Ash
hahaha sounds like it!  :)

The most important thing is getting married to the love of my life, I guess the honeymoon can wait...darn though!

I know that we could apply in person for an extra £200 but with a wedding to pay for, I think the budget will be too tight and we'll just have to postpone. Maybe we can have a mini-moon in Scotland!
1 Aug 2008 - Got engaged

• My Blog
I'm in the same situation, Ashley. You can leave the country once you're married, but if you would try to re-enter on that same visa, you are technically no longer a fiancee, you're a spouse (I know...so techical). If you tried to enter on the fiance visa as a spouse, this could hurt your FLR(M) app as they would see it as you trying to enter the country by lying that you were still a fiance.

Best to do the "mini-moon" in country, and even save up for something bigger later on.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed

Sponsored Links