Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Noisy Neighbors  (Read 4087 times)

• Liked: 0
Noisy Neighbors
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:18:08 AM »
Hey all

I know a few people on the site have had similar problems.  I'm hoping to get some advice here.  We must have very thin walls and can hear quite a bit of what happens in the flat next door.  At first when we moved in it was a small child constantly crying and screaming.  I was quite worried for the child and wondered what was happening over there.  Never had a child myself, I don't know how often children cry on a daily basis, but this didnt' seem normal.  In addition, as we are only home in the evenings during the week, it seemed strange that the child was awake crying late at night, most evenings after 11pm.

There is a lot of loud yelling going on by what I presume is the mother and father, and still the child crying.  I find it really distressing and don't really know what to do.  We have never seen these people and do not know them so I don't feel comfortable approaching them directly. 

Any advice? I'm just tired of the noise but at the same time am concerned for the child.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Noisy Neighbors
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:34:17 AM »
I hope when of our resident social workers will pop by to answer you. From a mother's perspective, that doesn't sound good to me though. :(
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Is the flat next door rented?  If so, perhaps ask your landlady if she knows who owns that property, and get them to have a word.  It is in your landlady's advantage to have happy tenants and no noisy neighbours, so she shoudl be happy to help.

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »
It could be that the baby has health issues?  Maybe colic or something?  But that much crying seems unusual.

My mother complained, loudly and constantly, about the baby next door, until I pointed out that it cried at the same time every night for a few minutes.  I figured the baby was just waking up to be fed at that time.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »
How old is the child? Can you hear what is being said?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 07:17:19 PM »
Is the flat next door rented?  If so, perhaps ask your landlady if she knows who owns that property, and get them to have a word.  It is in your landlady's advantage to have happy tenants and no noisy neighbours, so she shoudl be happy to help.

Vicky

I have no idea...have never even seen the people! I suppose your point is good though, bring it to the landlords and see what they can do.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 07:18:45 PM »

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 07:19:27 PM »
It could be that the baby has health issues?  Maybe colic or something?  But that much crying seems unusual.

My mother complained, loudly and constantly, about the baby next door, until I pointed out that it cried at the same time every night for a few minutes.  I figured the baby was just waking up to be fed at that time.

This was also another thought of mine, and I would feel terrible saying something to the tennants if this ended up being the case.  However, due to the loudness and frequency of yelling, I sort of doubt it has anything to do with a health issue unfortunately.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 07:20:27 PM »
How old is the child? Can you hear what is being said?

No idea, but it sounds young-ish.  Maybe 2 or younger?  They are not speaking English so I can't tell what they're saying..I'm only guessing that they are shouting and angry by the pitch and volume.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 02:36:08 PM »
If you suspect any type of child abuse, it's better to report it.  :-\\\\ I don't know about the UK, but in the US you can report anonymously.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »
If you suspect any type of child abuse, it's better to report it.  :-\\\\ I don't know about the UK, but in the US you can report anonymously.

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) runs a confidential freephone helpline for anyone who wants to report child abuse on 0808 800 5000. When you speak to the helpline, you do not have to give your personal details if you don't want to.

Having said that, we have thin walls ourselves, and the people on one side have a very loud baby indeed, and after nearly two years it is showing no signs of quietening down. However, we don't suspect abuse.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 07:06:27 PM »
I just am torn on what to do...part of me wants to write a letter and put it through their post box just asking them to keep it down.  I don't want to accuse anyone of abuse but it does concern me.  Its distressing to me that I have to hear neighbors shouting all night long. 

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »
You could say something along the lines of could you please keep the noise levels down as it is disturbing us and not mention abuse.

Do you think the child is being abused or is it the parents shouting at each other?

Children (even babies) can pick up on their parents attitudes and behaviors. If the parents are constantly at each others throats, that is going to cause stress on the child.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »
Since it is happening at night. You might want to tape record it. More than likely whoever comes out will come during the day and won't hear what you hear at night. This might also give them evidence to start an investigation.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 07:40:24 PM »
You could say something along the lines of could you please keep the noise levels down as it is disturbing us and not mention abuse.

Do you think the child is being abused or is it the parents shouting at each other?

Children (even babies) can pick up on their parents attitudes and behaviors. If the parents are constantly at each others throats, that is going to cause stress on the child.

I really don't know...all I know is there is a lot of loud shouting between the couple, and the child cries an awful lot, and seems to be awake way past a childs bedtime (past 10pm).  It seems like a terrible enviornment for a child.  I think I will write a letter, and tell them to keep it down.  I don't feel comfortable reporting them to a childs protection agency without knowing that anything is happening.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab