Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pepto-Bismol  (Read 1272 times)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Pepto-Bismol
« on: May 30, 2004, 01:24:39 AM »
Okay, here's one for the US residents or those in the UK with a good memory.

I remember taking Pepto-Bismol as a child -- all throughout childhood, if my memory doesn't fail me.  I picked up a bottle the other day and happened to see this warning on the side:

"Do not use for those aged under 16 due to possible association between salicylates and Reye's Syndrome, a very rare but serious disease."

I'm familiar with aspirin and the link to Reye's Syndrome in children, but this is the first time I've seen this warning in conjunction with Pepto-Bismol.  So my question is: is this warning on the US bottles?
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Liked: 1
Re: Pepto-Bismol
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 01:54:44 AM »
Here's your answer straight from the Pepto peeps!

"Why is Pepto-Bismol no longer recommended for use in children?
As of spring 2004, the FDA requires the child dosing directions be removed from the label of all anti-diarrheal products containing bismuth subsalicylate, including Pepto-Bismol. The new dosing directions require that consumers speak with a doctor before giving Pepto-Bismol to children under 12.

I have been giving Pepto-Bismol to my child when he/she had an upset stomach—should I be concerned?

You should not be concerned if you have used Pepto-Bismol in the past for your children.
In the future, ask your doctor before using Pepto-Bismol in children under 12. "
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Pepto-Bismol
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 02:06:47 AM »
Cheers, Peeps!  I suppose I should have Googled before I asked!   :-[

It's interesting that the US draws the line at 12 whereas the UK ups it to 16.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

Sponsored Links