Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: voltage transformer (to use an American electrical appliance in UK)  (Read 2228 times)

• What about ye?
  • Liked: 0
Where's the best/cheapest place to get one - the US or the UK?

I went into town to various electrical shops, Argos, and Woolworths, but nobody had one or knew where I could get one. It's to be used with a midi guitar controller that is going to cost me almost £200 (£299 > $199) less if I buy it from the US (and a friend of mine in the USAF will get it delivered for free APO/FPO) so getting a UK (voltage) version in not a viable option.

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks,

P.P.

• My little cutie
We bought one at maplin's in Romford for 25 pounds it has been a great help for some of the things we cant just put a converter on the end of the plug.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Try:

http://www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk/about.html

We're ordering one soon for a US Kitchenaid. They tell you exactly what kind you need for your specific appliance.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• What about ye?
Re: voltage transformer (to use an American electrical appliance in UK)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 11:04:07 PM »
Thanks, litl_u and balmerhon for the tips. I'll look into them.

- Punkawn_Paddy

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 03:25:50 AM »
Try DVDOverseas.com, they are near Chicago, I think, and have a huge range of voltage converters and "voltage stablizers" (higher quality, and better for things like hifi equipment), and at great prices.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 03:27:57 AM by Turn_Left »

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 12:18:09 PM »
If you are going to be anywhere near any of the US bases I would get them here. Forces are constantly moving and you can usually pic up transformers VERY cheap through the local newpapers or at the garage sales. We've never paid more than £25 for one, and usually only £5-10.

But the only American electrical appliance we have left is the capuccino maker/coffee maker.  You could ask me, I'd probably give away out old ones for free :)

Rosie
All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers. ~François Fénelon

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 12:49:07 PM »
I just bought a 4000 watt step-down transformer from samstores.com (link removed at the request of the store) for around $115 and it was delivered within 3 days. You've gotta convert amps to wattage to know the size you need regardless of where you buy one as I bought this primarily for a rather expensive bagless Hoover that we bought not long ago but it'll come in handy for our blenders and mixing bowls,etc. I also bought a 1600 watt convertor with a U.K plug adapter (it came in the kit) for my wifes hair dryer and my electric shaver, etc for $12. If you can get these things delivered free of charge via you friend's APO then it's not a bad deal and worth checking out. Small items should only need a convertor, larger items may require a transformer, some items may require a simple plug change with a 3 amp fuse (lamps,etc.)

Here's a simple chart that explains what the wattage is for most common household electrical items and how to figure amps to wattage and wattage to amps to help you determine how big of a transformer one would need. Keep in mind if the appliance has a motor (IE: air conditioner, vacuum cleaner,  fridge, washer, etc) there's an explanation at the top suggesting that you should use a transformer that converts at least 3- 7 times the normal amount. It sounds difficult to understand but if you read it through, it's pretty self-explanatory.

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/usage_chart.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:46:34 PM by UK Yankee »

Sponsored Links