Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa documentation lost by New York Consulate-General  (Read 4164 times)

• Liked: 0
Visa documentation lost by New York Consulate-General
« on: November 24, 2008, 11:09:43 PM »
I sent the visa documentation for my partner's visa to the New York Consulate-General (by recorded/trackable UPS package) at the end of October, and the Consulate's mailroom signed for the package. The Consulate is now saying that they have no record of the package. They obviously aren't processing the visa application, and also have a box worth or original paperwork (including my partner's US passport)!

I can't seem to find any way of contacting the Consulate directly. I've raised a call with Worldbridge, and they say they'll get the Consulate to contact me; however, I've still not heard anything from them. Is there any way to speak to or email a real person at the Consulate? Also, does anyone know if the Consulate would accept photocopies of documentation (as that's all we now have, if we have to re-apply)?

Does anyone have similar experiences or any advice?

Many thanks...

• Liked: 2
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Re: Visa documentation lost by New York Consulate-General
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:38:10 AM »
Thanks Vinny... I tried all of the Consulate's phone numbers I could find. The main switchboard number takes you to phone menu hell, where I can listen to long recorded messages that simply loop (and which don't tell me anything I don't already know). There doesn't appear to be any option to talk with a *real* person to explain that I need them to search for my package (which they signed for, so I know it's somewhere at the Consulate).

It's like they've taken my documentation and are refusing to confirm that they have it, and of course therefore aren't going to give it back to me (which will make even re-applying difficult!)...    :\\\'(

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 06:16:02 AM »
So do you mean that you haven't received any confirmation e-mail from NY Consulate that states they received your documents or you got the confirmation e-mail from them and now they claim that they lost your docs?

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:30:07 PM »
Yep... that's about the size of it.  The Consulate's mailroom signed for the UPS package on the 29th October (I have the confirmation through the tracking number from UPS). I followed up with the Consulate because I hadn't received an email from them, and now they say they don't have the documents...  I don't know whether to go ahead and re-submit the docs (they'll have to be photocopies now, as they already have the originals), and I'll also have to get a new passport issued as they have the original one as well!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:34:30 PM »
Oh, man, what a nightmare. I don't have any insight, but I had to chime in with moral support. That's *exactly* the sort of thing that darkened my imagination, but hasn't befallen me. Yet.

Though I did come home from visiting the folks Sunday night absolutely positive my car wasn't where I left it in the airport garage (it was next to an identical stairwell on the other side of the building). You just stand there thinking, "This cannot be. God hates me."

Anyway, good luck getting it straightened out. And thank goodness for tracking numbers!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 01:33:39 PM »
Your UK national sponsor has a Member of Parliament.  Go to them.

Vicky

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 01:36:20 PM »
Thanks for the support, Stoatula... it's very much appreciated. I don't have a lot else to go on right now. It seems like there's now way of actually talking to a REAL person at the Consulate... all I can do is go through Worldbridge (at $12 per call!), and they appear to know less than I do about the process (and of course aren't able to go and look for a package in the Consulate's mailroom). I do appreciate the need to screen calls going to the Consulate, but you'd think there'd at least be some way of them putting me through to someone who can help, once I've demonstrated that I have a genuine reason for needing to talk directly to the Consulate. It's all a bit of a nightmare at the moment... hopefully I'll wake up soon!

VictoriaS - just saw your post. I've just finished a letter to the Consulate (maybe they'll acknowledge it's arrival this time), and I've cc'd my MP (I'm British, my partner is American), so we'll see what happens on that front. Thanks for the suggestion.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 04:34:02 PM »
I fedexed the application for Visa on November 17, 2008 and know through fedex that it was delivered to the consulate in NYC. However, I received no email confirmation on the receipt of the documents from the consulate which is a red flag. I know you can go there and get a form from security guard and withdraw the application. When you get it back you can resubmit.

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »
Hi mdolgicer - do you mean that you also submitted a package (FedEx) that was delivered to the NYC, but that thet are denying having received it?

Problem is, even if I withdraw this application (and resubmit), I still can't provide the original documentation in support of any subsequent visa application, as the Consulate already has this (in the package that they can't find)!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 05:54:50 PM »
It is only five working days...a little early to panic.

Vicky

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
I fedexed the application for Visa on November 17, 2008 and know through fedex that it was delivered to the consulate in NYC. However, I received no email confirmation on the receipt of the documents from the consulate which is a red flag. I know you can go there and get a form from security guard and withdraw the application. When you get it back you can resubmit.

Vicky's right, mdolgicer...a bit early to assume it's lost. My visa was confirmed by USPS 4-5 days before I even received an e-mail that the consulate had received it. Others have gotten an e-mail up to 2 weeks after. Certainly yours is right around the corner. Give it a bit more time.

Garfield, hope you get it worked out. I think your post is the first I have read of docs being lost within the consulate. How did you follow up with the consulate however to determine they don't have your documents if you're saying you haven't found a way to get in touch?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:10:02 PM by LoveMyBrit »
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 07:43:13 PM »
It's been 4 weeks now, not 4 days. We submitted the application in October, and the documents were signed for on the 29th October... still not received any email from the Consulate, and they now say they don't have a copy of the documentation (even though their mailroom signed for it).

I've not managed to get hold of any real person to talk to at the Consulate...  and Worldbridge are not exactly being helpful.

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 08:59:57 PM »
I would love to know this to, has its been over a week now since they should of received my documents and i still havent received a confirmation email off them, (not so long has yours has been so i understand why your worrying so much, but we just want peace of mind) i tried emailing worldbridge but they just state we cannot provide status updates on individual cases which have already been submitted to a UK visa-issuing Consulate or Embassy.

Anyone know how we can contact the New York Embassy the number they give you to ring is automated and never gives you the option to talk to a live person?

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »
They don't always send an e-mail.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Sorry it isn't much help.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab